UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Does anyone know if the extended warranty is a full manufacturers warranty or an insurance based arrangement with a seperate company or the dealer ?

When I last owned a Ford (three years ago) the three year warranty was one year manufacturer and two years dealer warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dealer said extended warranty bit of a waste of time.... I do a high mileage (18,000 a year) and he said if something going to go wrong it probably cos not fitted correctly in first place and will more than likely happen in first 6 months.... Anything else would likely be just wear and tear.... Best to keep your money in the bank

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
My worry would be electricals. Ecu's etc. if they fail they can cost well in excess of the extended warranty price to replace. From a business point of view I'm very surprised that a dealer would belittle the importance of a warranty. I've never owned a new car before with a manufacturers warranty so maybe I'm a bit naive on what they will cover but if its a "manufacturers" warranty and not a "dealer" warranty surely that has a bit more weight? No? I hope so as I do intend to take the full 7 years on my wife's Stepway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bobobarley I would ignore what your ill-advised salesman has told you.

If you are doing 18kpa I would suggest taking the 7 Year/100k Miles option to protect yourself
for the next 5.5 years from any unwanted bills.

A refurbished turbo can cost £1500, an extended warranty costs £850, I know what I would rather pay!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think my salesman was skeptical about what all would be covered by the warranty... And each year things drop off the list.... And generally speaking most things would be classed as wear and tear s you get towards then end of the 7 years

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm used to people trying to sell me things whether I need them or not... So when I mentioned the warranty to him it was quite refreshing to not get the hard sell..... He basically said to be very wary of warranty... As it is does not make your car invincible...and that many items would be classed wear and tear over time....
I have to admit I have not been able to find exact details of what is covered by warranty and timing of these.... But as I'm not really excepting my duster til April or may I hopefully have a wee while to find out.... Or you good people who are ahead of me on the list will hopefully read thro the bumf when you get it :)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
The reason I asked the question is I currently own a KIA with a seven year warranty. Yes, things do drop off the KIA warranty with time, battery two years, radio / CD three years, and the clutch is wear and tear unless faulty, but the important expensive stuff is covered.

I would be concerned about turbos, ECUs, gearboxes, etc. I have had a (Volvo) gearbox fail, it was replaced on a manufacturers warranty.

I would want to read the small print of the Dacia extended warranty before parting with cash but if it is reasonably comprehensive and you are planning on keeping the car for more than three years it will be a no brainer.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Extended warranties, even when provided by the manufacturer, are a form of insurance.
The warranty provider will have done their sums. Some drivers taking out the warranty will make no or very small claims and will be losers, some might make bigger claims and even be winners. The manufacturer will also factor in administration and a profit margin to the cost of the warranty.
The best way to decide whether you take out any insurance (warranty) is to base your decision on whether you could comfortably meet the costs covered by the insurance if it came to a claim. If not then go for the insurance.
The 7 year extended warranty is expensive, particularly relative to the cost of an Access model Duster. I think it unlikely that I will take out the warranty (even if that is possible retrospectively, which I'm not sure about).

·
Registered
431 Posts
This is an interesting conversation and something I'd like to be able to make an informed decision rather than the sales man giving me the spiel. As it will help other people to ... can I suggest we make a list of the most important (and expensive) things that are most like to fail if they do fail. Basically what we should be looking for on the warranty to ensure the extended version is a worth while prospect.

To start here are a few things mentioned already, can those in the know affirm and add to the list. Possibly make it a top ten rather than a infinite list.
  • Turbo
  • Gearbox
  • ECU
  • Electrics

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
The total retail invoice for the replacement of the gearbox for my Volvo was £1900. If I remember correctly it was £1500 for parts and £400 labour. That was ten years ago and it wasn't a 4X4.

Glad the invoice didn't come my way.

I will go for the warranty if it is a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
To start here are a few things mentioned already, can those in the know affirm and add to the list. Possibly make it a top ten rather than a infinite list.
  • Turbo
  • Gearbox
  • ECU
  • Electrics
To add to that, it's possibly worth splitting into diesel and petrol models: What I would add though is ECU failure is extremely rare.

Diesel
  • Turbo
  • Gearbox
  • ECU
  • Electrics
  • EGR Valve (exhaust gas recycle)
  • Injectors
  • DMF (dual mass flywheel)
  • DPF (diesel particulate filter)
Petrol

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother getting the extended warranty on a petrol car. Generally they are reliable. It's diesel's that have all the issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cherries and Boots are correct.
What hasn't been confirmed is whether extended warranty purchased after you collect your car will be transferable to a second owner.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As a point of interest I took out a extended manufacturers one years warranty with my Suzuki which was very expensive but it paid out no problems. I had another warranty with a well known warranty firm and when I made a claim for two items from a service they charged me the first £50 excess twice! Dacias warranty is a bargain

Also the Renault dealer said that the warranty was transferable, I have gone for the 5 year.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Cherries and Boots are correct.
What hasn't been confirmed is whether extended warranty purchased after you collect your car will be transferable to a second owner.
Extract from the Dacia UK website FAQs.

It is also in the pinned FAQ thread above.

Q. Does my warranty extension remain valid on my vehicle if I sell it?
Yes. Both the standard manufacturer's warranty and extended warranties remain with the vehicle and expire on the first of the two stated limits reached.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll be taking out the 5 year warranty plus a 4 year servicing pack offered by Arnold Clark at £459 inc 2 MOT's. looks like a bargain to me even though i can get my MOT's for free and normally service my own cars.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
To add to that, it's possibly worth splitting into diesel and petrol models: What I would add though is ECU failure is extremely rare.

Diesel
  • Turbo
  • Gearbox
  • ECU
  • Electrics
  • EGR Valve (exhaust gas recycle)
  • Injectors
  • DMF (dual mass flywheel)
  • DPF (diesel particulate filter)
  • Prop shaft
  • Rear differential
  • Two or four driveshafts
  • Wheel bearings
Petrol

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother getting the extended warranty on a petrol car. Generally they are reliable. It's diesel's that have all the issues.
Ref Petrol

They still have gearboxes, differentials, driveshafts, wheel bearings, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts