UK Dacia Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
When the fault occurs, can you select a gear if you pump the clutch?

John
It usually works fine on the second attempt. But by then the car is travelling at lower speed already.

What I have noticed is that the first gear seems to be slightly more difficult to switch to than other gears. It feels as if there is a bit more resistance to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@BhunaBill - did you get this fixed? Same thing happened to me twice last night, both times after being in either stuck in a long queue or at slow changing lights. After switching on and off it was fine. Your post seemed to chime the most with me - just wondering if this was the cause and if it was easily fixed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Sandero just before lockdown, so in the first couple of months did very little driving in it, but I had a slight problem getting it into gear on the day I collected it. I rang the dealer, and was told to pump the clutch a couple of times.The problem didn't resurface until I took a friend for a run around the hills where we live. By the time I got it back home I couldn't get it into any gear at all and ended up free-wheeling down to the house & leaving it in front of the neighbour's garage. I restarted it a few minutes later, and it behaved perfectly normally. However, I reported the problem to the dealer & booked it in to be looked at. The first available courtesy car wasn't for a couple of weeks, and as I'd had no further problem a week later, I rang & cancelled. Before the appointed date, however, it had done it again, on a trip to Skipton & back, so I rang and made a new appointment. Another three weeks wait for a courtesy car. I then did a longer trip to the Welsh borders, and had no problems - very little gear changing involved. The following week, however, I drove to Leeds, and on the way back, once again, it refused to go into gear. It's now in with the dealer, where it's been for over a week, and despite several test drives, it's refused to misbehave. I've told the service manager about all the problems that others have had and asked why, if this has been happening to other Sanderos for three years at least, it's not something that they know about. It doesn't do them any good to be ignorant of a known problem, and it makes owners very angry to discover that they aren't aware of it. If it's a known problem, then when a car exhibiting this fault is taken in, they should know immediately what needs to be done. My dealer, having had my car in for a week, is now going to change the clutch fluid, and see if that sorts it, but if it happens again, they'll fit a new clutch. I'm really pleased with every other aspect of it. Despite only having the 900cc engine, it's nippy, and with the ECO button switched off, it makes light work of the hills (of which we have quite a few). It's a disappointment that Dacia/Renault won't accept that this is a known fault, so that people like me & many others don't have to put up with the frustration of an intermittent fault, and being asked "how do you change gear?" as if it's something we're doing wrong!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know this is a slightly older thread, but just wanted to add that I'm having the same problem now with a 2016 Dacia Sandero Stepway ... it's been going on for best part of a year now.

The first time the problem occurred was when I was in a queue in the city centre ... the gears jammed into first and would not come out. Luckily I was close to a carpark so managed to crawl in first to it. I was by then very late for an appointment so had to leave it in the carpark and dash off, fully expecting to have to call the breakdown service when I got back. But, I checked before I phoned and it seemed to be ok again, so I tentatively drove home and got it to a local garage ... they had no luck finding anything obvious, so I decided to keep monitoring it.

All seemed ok for a while, but occasionally it was difficult to get a gear. But I must have got enough confidence back to drive through Sheffield ... again, crawling through traffic and it would not go into gear at all ... daren't try and drive it back on the motorway again that day, so had to be brought back on a tow truck. Took it into the local garage again, and decided it was the clutch, so had a new one put in ... I think the mechanic was expecting the clutch to be worn, but it had no wear on it at all. The only thing we could think of was the design of the linkage wasn't great (a sort of rubber spring material that could potentially weaken).

Anyway, the clutch seemed to make things better, but a couple of months down the line and gears are definitely 'sticky' again and are starting to be difficult ... have totally lost confidence in driving the car. Took it back to the local garage, but intermittent problematic cars don't seem to appeal to people to fix.

Having checked the pipes for leaks (none) my dad is an ex-mechanic, and we think the next thing to try would be replacing the master cylinder. But how far do you go chasing down a problem on a second hand (all be it only 5 year old) car?

Time to call it quits and not have a Dacia I think :-(

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,747 Posts
You do not state the mileage or engine but I assume it is a hydraulic clutch.

It appears the clutch is not fully disengaging. Where is the bite point? Do you have to fully depress the clutch?

Was the clutch slave cylinder replaced when the clutch was changed. Was it bled properly?

Has the brake fluid been changed ( I think it is every 4 years ) ? The clutch shares the fluid. The dealer service check sheet has a Brake fluid boiling point test check box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem on my 66plate steppy 70 000 miles been occuring since 40 000 but been nursing it through . nice to know I'm not the only one . has there been anyone found a permanant fix yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the same problem with my wife's Sandero stepway. Funnily enough, it's only ever happened when I'm driving. My wife has only been driving for a relatively short time, and hence her style is to try to avoid as many gear changes as possible. When I drive, - we live in a rural area - I tend to make full use of the gears. I have always found that I can free the gear stick after just turning the engine off and back on again in less than a minute.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the same problem with my wife's Sandero stepway. Funnily enough, it's only ever happened when I'm driving. My wife has only been driving for a relatively short time, and hence her style is to try to avoid as many gear changes as possible. When I drive, - we live in a rural area - I tend to make full use of the gears. I have always found that I can free the gear stick after just turning the engine off and back on again in less than a minute.
I am experiencing the same problem as everyone, took to main dealer in Plymouth. No clue. I’ve got a 68 plate sandero step way. Will show this thread to the garage as told they’d never heard of it before.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just reading through this Daedulas is on the right path and I notice some live in hilly areas and some are in traffic alot.

I often see folk holding their vehicle on the clutch, on hills or in traffic. The heat building up in the clutch is horrifying.
Some of that heat will transmit to the hydraulic fluid and slowly change its capabilities. This is why some have noticed after a period of cooling it works again.
I definitely recommend no one EVER rides a clutch when the vehicle is stationary but DO use the handbrake.
Riding clutches also wears the friction plate thinner. It also wears the tips of the clutch springs where the contact the release bearing. It can also collapse or damage some release bearings. All the above can put an extra demand on travel required to release the clutch fully. The clutch then never fully releases partially transmitting load to the gearbox. The load prevents the gearbox mechanism operating freely as either the road must not offer resistance or the engine must not offer a force in order for a shift to occure ( if when the issue arises if you can roll the car and then try to engage first it may work or take the hand brake off while trying to engage first).

I've not had the pleasure of bleeding these clutches yet but going off my motorcycling days I would be looking to draw the system from the slave end via a syringe!
Does anyone know if the master cylinder arrangement has an adjustable rod acting on the master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
148 Posts
With its two-second hill-hold my Sandero actually ‘encourages‘ slipping the clutch.

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,747 Posts
HSA holds for up to 2 sec it will release as soon as you lift the clutch. The clutch problems may be a least partly why it is now on all cars even the Access. None of the early cars had it turned on although the software module was there.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
148 Posts
Doesn’t encourage me to ride the clutch either, friend. I suspect there are those that will though.
I’m a handbrake fan, got a flyoff on the B.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts