UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Well my duster had its first service last week, all boxes ticked and okey dokey and by the way we've added upgrades to the ecu too !.

Driving home it became all too obvious, gutless, lost all its pull especially in third gear, vibrating like mad (air filter hose not replaced properly) and its the first time my foot was to the floor.

Rang them up and told them I wanted it put back as it was but apparently they can't do that they say, and it was a re-call they've done.

Back to the shop Fri for a re-tune or summat.

Not a happy bunny.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ste550

Interesting! Collected mine too from its 12 month service with the "ecu adjustment" recall carried out. This was emphasised to me as a recall not impacting on safety in any way whilst the printed description is "safety recall"! The guy did say that they took 2 hours to make the required changes and get it right - inferring that it wasn't right-first-time and told me they'd taken it out on a number of test runs before they were satisfied it was correct (so maybe your dealer hasn't applied the alteration correctly).

On the short return journey - less than half a mile - didn't notice anything in particular but I'd removed the 'chip' prior anyway to validate the warranty (so probably wouldn't have noticed anyway). The thing is, I was considering not replacing the 'chip' but having a professional full re-map instead and this may just have made my mind up for me - I must take "the whacky wagon" out for a spin later and see if I can detect any flat spots or power shortages

·
Registered
117 Posts
had mine done today and to be honest it does feel more beefy through the gears, haven't noticed any adverse effects as of yet

·
Registered
146 Posts
So on a tiny sample of 3, we have one "improved" Duster, one "no-change" and one "deterioration". Not very consistent, is it? Either the ecu set-up for Renaults generally is a bit hit-and-miss or the garage instructions for the technicians are lacking.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
an ECU upgrade is like updating a program on your computer

there should be no inconsistencies as to how it is done or the results

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is this ecu upgrade just for dCi Dusters, or are the Stepway and Sandero dCi models affected, too. And what about the Tce 90?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hiya,well it was tested again and they say it all tallys up with central computer so had to return to test drive with mechanic on board so it will have to go back again when they've e-mailed Renault to find out exactly what it alters.

The engine revs ok but doesn't pull like it should, changing up from 2nd to 3rd it hesitates before moving whereas before it was the cars highlight pulling like a good 'un.

If nothing improves I'll have to get it chipped or summat because I'm losing faith.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My suggestion would be to persevere and refuse to accept the dealer's/Renault/Dacia's findings until you are happy it drives at least as well as it did prior to the service. From my experience, chips are just as hit and miss so unless you like tinkering (as I do), a chip often creates more problems than it serves.

Following on from my service and with the chip reengaged, now creates a worse performance than without it and I'm struggling to eradicate the power vacuums that have emerged - in fact I've now more flat spots than Holland and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree! Nothing that can't be resolved, I'm sure.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Do you already have a "chip" in? It's a 2 min job to install or remove. The dealer can tell a different map is installed but can't see what has been causing the ECU to act differently if the chip is removed, therefore warranty is protected.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
@ste550

You need a diesel tuning box (an NOT a cheap one off eBay)

Plug and play AND unplug and no play.

As it is fitted after the ECU the ECU doesn't know it's there and consequently nor will Dacia know it's been there.

Just remember you should tell your insurance company.

Reactions: ste550

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Slightly concerned by the "inconsistent" ECU issues being discussed here.

I'm only 5 days into owning a Duster but a service is due in 2000 miles. I've no idea if our Duster has had ECU upgrade.......

My only previous experience with rechipping/remapping was on my Golf GTi.

It was a customised remap by AmD. Rolling road before and after graphs etc. The results were phenomenal.

Is it part of a standard service or a recall?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hiya Peter, sorry to alarm you,yours may survive the operation :D .

Just make a mental note how long it takes for the car to move after you depress the pedal, is there a delay ? then push pedal again further and check delay again.

Mines like Jonesy off Dads Army.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts