UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now in the good old days when I were a lad there was always a first service done on new cars at around 1200 to 1500 miles.

My Duster is coming up to 2000 kilometers and I'm thinking about having an oil and filter change. Now I know the service schedule doesn't call for this service but what are the thoughts of new owners. Considering an oil and filter change is a relatively small expense is it worth doing.

My oil looks clean as a whistle so it maybe it's not worth it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depends on your mileage and type of miles you're doing I guess.

I would have the oil changed in my car irrespective of mileage, realistically about once a year. But certainly with my Twingo/Megane that's barely 1,000 miles, the Clio is only about 4-5,000 miles a year and that's done every 12 months.

For piece of mind you could have the oil/filter changed but I doubt it's really needed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Coming up to the first 1000 and afraid the old school habits are going to kick in.
Engine oil out and filter change whether there is metal contamination or not.
It makes me feel good if nothing else !!
Regards

Barry

·
Registered
836 Posts
Totally agree , as soon as the run in period is completed oil warmed and drained fully over night . Nice fully synthetic to replace it . Done it with every new car i have had . Engine oil replaced every 4 months , it the life blood of the enginen . Never had any problems with an engine i have done it on .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi dshart, Interested to know your views on oil additives, I have used (cant mention that grey stuff in a tin ) in all my cars going back a long time and like you have never had engine probs.

Barry

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi dshart, Interested to know your views on oil additives, I have used (cant mention that grey stuff in a tin ) in all my cars going back a long time and like you have never had engine probs.

Barry
Whole different area , With VW there specs are legendary , Renault not sure at present . A top quality oil will have the additives already in there , in my opinion if your engine needs more additive it is not a good engine . Also if the guarantee is still valid and you blow the engine they will test the oil , anything not to spec , say bye to the guarantee . Hence my VW statement , was warned that the oil i put in had to be VW spec or no guarantee , at the time the only fully synthetic which meet there spec was theirs , £8 a litre !!!!! after a period of time their spec showed up on normal suppliers cans £20 for 5 lts !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

Barry
totaly agree with dshart

and i know for a fact aditives are for engines over a 100.000 km who show signs of fatigue, NEVER EVER PUT OIL ADITIVES IN NEW ENGINES

check the manufacturer manual, only what the manufacturer recomends

denis o

on my new logan the first service was at 7500km, then every 15.000km or 1 year, but i was doing it every 10.000km to be safe , was a company car , in 4 years ive done 280.000km no prob ever the car was retired after 5 y with 350.000km on clock (this was 1.6 petrol, 8 valves, 90bhp)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Changing your oil is up to yourself in between the manufacturers as long as the oil spec is correct, and use a genuine oil filter while under warranty.

I work in the motorparts trade but not for a manufacturer but an independant we use Comma oil they spec ECOREN this is a 5W-30 low saps, ACEA C4 spec.

Also you don't have to have the dealer service your car you can have a independent garage do this for you under the right to repair, but it must be serviced to maufactures schedule.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Changing your oil is up to yourself in between the manufacturers as long as the oil spec is correct, and use a genuine oil filter while under warranty.

I work in the motorparts trade but not for a manufacturer but an independant we use Comma oil they spec ECOREN this is a 5W-30 low saps, ACEA C4 spec.

Also you don't have to have the dealer service your car you can have a independent garage do this for you under the right to repair, but it must be serviced to maufactures schedule.
u know best in the uk, in romania i had 18 months no limit km waranty, in the those 18months it was mandatory to service in a dacia/renault service cause they stamp my service book otherwise i ll loose my waranty after that i used my personal mechanic but respecting the same schedule

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
This thread is an excellent reason for not buying a used car. Oil additives, uncertain about oil specs, modern engines require the right spec oil and no additives. A few extra oil changes if you feel it helps and want to waste oil and cash but I have run my last dozen or so diesels for over 100,000 miles without problems on the manufacturers recommended oils and schedule of changes. They were all running perfectly when sold and I should have probably kept them for another 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Manufacturers spend millions on research and development. It is in their interest that the cars run well and free of trouble.

Change the oil and filter when specified in the manual and use the correct materials..

You do not love your car more or become a better person if you change your oil more frequently,you just spend more money.

Having said that,its a free country (just) so change your oil and filter every day if it makes you feel better.

Reactions: Boots

·
Registered
836 Posts
It makes me happy to change the oil more often , I get it from France because top quality oil is one thing in France which is significantly cheaper than England especially if it is on Promo .

My question is how can you be sure what's oil is in your engine ?

Once caught a main Stealer stitching me on a service on the Citroen . I became suspicious after my second of the 3 compulsory services to kept the guarantee in place . This was the change in brake fluid one . Dropped something under the car and had to pick it up ( money , i was on the ground in a flash ) , the caps on the brake bleeds were dirty and there was no evidence of any brake fluid replacement . So I started an in depth checking . The pollen filter is a bitch on the Citroen lots of stuff to remove , even worse for the air filter , neither had been changed the pollen filter had never been changed from new .
On the third and last service they did for me , I made sure the washer bottle was full with the correct level of concentrate . Picked it up after their service , £11 for filling the washer bottle ! Must have been difficult to put that much in , especially as the cap was in exactly the same place where I left it , including the small piece of tape on the back of the filler !
This is how it works , when you book your car in for a service the parts dept issue all the parts that Citroen tells them is required for the service , these are issued to the Workshops .Now if any of the parts are not used they are meant to be removed from the invoice . Like hell they are , eBay awaits . Difficult to replace parts ,like some filters , takes too long to do , the customer never checks , so they are missed so more cars can be serviced in the workshop . Washer bottles are issued with a complete bottle of concentrate , you can imagine how much goes in . What do you do with the parts eBay . Mechanics are not paid that much .
The amount of bull i got from the service manager was un believable , car never went back there .
You have to pay them to get that all important stamp in the book .

·
Registered
183 Posts
I always check new parts,always ask for the old parts back.

You have to trust that they are putting the oil in that they say they are,or do it yourself.

But how do you know the oil manufacturer has put the right stuff in the right cans???

You could go on forever, just let go!

Reactions: antavi

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
i agree dshart, in romania aswell the same problems but to those who dont have any mechanical knowledge the dealer is still the answer cause of the warranty, that is why i after the waranty ive turn to my personal mechanic whom i know and trust. the best thing is that u force them to be on the site when they work on ur car

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
and another thing.....cause is dacia u dont hve to put just ELF PREMIUM OIL IN IT bought from ren/dacia dealer thus much expensive, as long as u respect the spec (ex. 10w40 or 5w/40) depending on the engine u can put any brand of oil in it depends on ur budget (ex. in romania 4 litre elf oil=30euros, 4litre can mobil1 oil=20euros) i used mobil1 oil no problems always

·
Registered
836 Posts
and another thing.....cause is dacia u dont hve to put just ELF PREMIUM OIL IN IT bought from ren/dacia dealer thus much expensive, as long as u respect the spec (ex. 10w40 or 5w/40) depending on the engine u can put any brand of oil in it depends on ur budget (ex. in romania 4 litre elf oil=30euros, 4litre can mobil1 oil=20euros) i used mobil1 oil no problems always
Mobile1 5lts in uk is 44Euros thats why i buy my oil in Europe !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Mobile1 5lts in uk is 44Euros thats why i buy my oil in Europe !!!!!!!!
i totaly agree, here come the benefit of low running prices on dacia

ex logan had the same brakes as megane1 but the price on those brake pads were for megane 30 euros for dacia 15 euros, just because meganes pads came in a yellow renault box and for dacia came in a blue one, but both were manufactured by the same brake maker, practicaly u paid double for the brand of the car

·
Registered
431 Posts
What oil does the 1.5 dCi 110 Deisel use? I've check the Manual and it says check the service Manual which I don't seem to have. ???

Thinking of giving mine a quick oil and filter change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have any documentation that came with the vehicle that defines the correct lubricants/fluids etc?

All mine came with was the Drivers Handbook and Audio guide. The fact that the handbook states see the "Maintenance Service Booklet" for your vehicle on numerous occasions implies that there should be one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts