UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent this afternoon fitting reversing sensors to my 4x4 Access Duster. I tapped into the left side rear lights. I took 1 live feed from the reversing light and what I thought was a negative ground for the sensor box. All worked well till tonight - the sensors didn't work when the lights were turned on???
Does anyone know where I went wrong? - should I have taken the negative side of the sensors box to its own ground contact instead of trying to use the lights wiring?
As you can see I'm no electrician and the wiring diagramme on here goes right over my head.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Do you have a test lamp or multi-meter? With lights on check if you ground is actually a ground or giving you 12v. I suspect it is a 12v feed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comment. I do have a multi-meter and used it to identify the live feed to the reversing light. I will try grounding the sensor control box to the car body - I may have to use a self tapping screw because there is no obvious earth point near the light cluster.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
No problem. I know that the illumination circuit at the car radio loom acts like a ground until the lights are switched on then its 12v+. There will be a ground at the lighting loom for sure. I would Ignore the colours and just use the meter to confirm then put on the lights and re check. Simples.
hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for the record - I connected the sensor control box to its own earth and all worked.
(It was tricky finding somewhere that acted as a ground - I used the jack holder screw fitting)
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi - I was wondering which part of the rear bumber you drilled for the sensors, the black part or the body coloured part.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi it is drilled in the coloured part of all the cars I have looked at ! If you do it in the black you will have to watch it does not point down , as it will reduce the distance out and may give a small error if you have a visual display . Des

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ones I fitted came with a tapered ring to use if the bumper isn't straight. The coloured part points slightly up so there isnt much between them anyway

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine were fitted by the dealer just above the black line. However, I get a lot of spurios beeping when on rough surfaces.

When I select reverse I get a single beep and nothing else till I get near an obstacle when it starts to beep faster and faster to continuous. Thats on a level good surface like tarmac.

Do the same on gravel or dirt, even if it's level and I get beep beep immediately. It does go faster and faster as I head towards an obstacle but the spurios beep is annoying.

Any ideas or back to the dealer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have a tow bar fitted?
Indeed I do!!!

It didn't cross my mind that this could be the issue because whenever I've fitted sensors to a vehicle with a tow bar; Range Rover and Disco 2; I've always bought sensors that are compatible with tow bars.

Why does it only do it on non tarmac surfaces?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Ah. I dont have the answer to that. I was just wondering if it was picking up the tow hitch. How does the kit you have got deal with the inclusion of a tow bar? Do you have a dead zone to set or is it all down to the sensor positioning for your kit?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I maybe stupid but if I drill into the white portion of the bumper there seems no way to thread the sensor wires out as the moulding is tight to the rear bulkhead am I missing something? Also there seems to be different thoughts on getting the cables into the boot I cann't see the bung near the vents any better clue? Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
has anyone drilled for the sensors without removing the rear bumper - that looks a right faff.

From underneath it looks like I could get access to the cables and thread them if I drilled into the black area below the main white bumper, though I'd have to get some tapered rings to even the sensors up.

As it happens I have a set of sensors in black, so another reason it appeals

·
Registered
354 Posts
Another thought I've had is to fit a reversing camera.

Just one hole to drill, not really critical where it goes.

Would have to invent a way for the screen to roll out of the din tray under the stereo.

They are only £30 on ebay for the full kit, no idea if they are any good

1 - 20 of 29 Posts