UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought that some might be interested in the figures we recorded in our new Duster Laureate 4x2 during a trip across France over the last ten days.

We made a couple of decisions regarding economy, bearing in mind the fact that the Duster is not the most aerodynamic shape and increased drag is very obvious at speed. We decided to cruise at 70 mph (as opposed to the French motorway limit of 130kph or 81 mph). This enabled us to keep up with traffic, and as 70 mph is close to the rain limit speed of 110 kph I doubted we would be bothered by any other motorists. This proved to be the case and made for relaxing cruising.

It also kept the revs within the max torque range of 1700-2700 revs.

We also decided to use cruise control and ECO mode as much as possible.

Our trip covered 1404 miles, 1200 on motorways, and involved a trip from Calais to a village, Dunes, not far from Toulouse and back. We live three miles from the Channel Tunnel so not much driving in the UK.

From the computer we recorded the following figures:-

Distance 1404

Diesel 30.6 gallons

Av Cons 45.9 mpg

Av Speed 52 mph

Fuel at French Supermarkets cost a remarkably consistent €1.28 which at an exchange rate of €1.195/£1 gave a cost per litre of £1.07, a substantial saving to here in the UK.

The car is new and the trip started with 1100 miles on the clock so the engine is still loosening up.

The car was very comfortable and we shared the driving. The car boot was full, of course.

In ECO mode we found that, in cruise control, on steeper inclines on the motorway, we were being asked to change from 6th to 5th gears, deactivating the ECO mode immediately negated this requirement so I guess that the ECO mode reduces the turbo boost. This had the result that ECO was only used on flatter stretches of motorway.

Around town and on N roads we did not notice much difference (ECO-nonECO) as you are stirring the gears anyway so ECO was used all the time.

The Media Nav worked well and the routing was excellent.

All in all a delightful experience.

Tom

·
Registered
836 Posts
I thought that some might be interested in the figures we recorded in our new Duster Laureate 4x2 during a trip across France over the last ten days.
Glad you enjoyed it , as a 25 weeker ,to keep inside the French tax rules , i do this trip 3 times a year to keep inside the Uk tax laws .

Restoring a house and small holding down here . Living in the middle of nowhere with my bees and French wild life , mind you after 12 years it is still indoor camping .

I have a 4 x 2 Petrol , and whilst in France i am using E85 Ethanol Fuel . The price is about 65p equivalent a litre , but the efficiency is less than petrol , about 30 miles to the gallon , but at half the cost of standard petrol , effectively i am getting 60 miles to the gallon on petrol and the engine runs like a dream on it .

Couple of tips for you , get your self a Halifax Clarity Credit card , they do not load the exchange rate so you would actually get 1.23 euro to the £ , 3% extra for your money with out having to do anything for it . Also the UK rules on the E111 health card have changed for France , it no longer covers you for all the medical costs , they are now enforcing just 70% reimbursement , so consider travel insurance .

Did you enjoy the storms , still clearing up here after the tornado on Tuesday afternoon , luckily the bees where tied down but lost a few trees .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dshart,

Thanks for the advice.

Yes the weather was interesting but for us it was just rain, most of the time it was sunny, if a little cool.

Your EHIC advice underscores the fact that European harmony is becoming shaky. In Spain there are many clinics that do not accept the EHIC at all !

Private insurance is a must nowadays I'm afraid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts