UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the weather is cold I can not unlock the fuel filler cap on my duster diesel. Does anyone else have this problem and how do I fix it? Once the outside temperature rises all is well again.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...haven't encountered this, but I'm going to give the keyhole a squirt of silicone spray just in case...

Joe

Reactions: Troute

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Squirt some on the key, insert and turn a few times.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...I'll use the plastic straw that came with the can - I used to use wd40 in keyholes, but the silicone seems to stay put for longer...

...wd40 is still one of the two key items in my toolkit, along with duck tape: if something is stuck but needs to move, I use the former...while if something moves and needs to stay put I use the latter!

Joe

Reactions: TheOnlyRichT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I tried that last year and did no good. Living in Scotland I have had to do that several times over the past 30 years with other cars but with the duster it made no difference. If no one else has experienced this problem should I contact the dealer? Is there a fault? what moisture could freeze the inside of the fuel cap?

I even bought one of those plastic fuel caps from halfords which works fine but I find I can not take the key out of the original duster cap when it is not locked in the duster.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I tried that last year and did no good. Living in Scotland I have had to do that several times over the past 30 years with other cars but with the duster it made no difference. If no one else has experienced this problem should I contact the dealer? Is there a fault? what moisture could freeze the inside of the fuel cap?
I even bought one of those plastic fuel caps from halfords which works fine but I find I can not take the key out of the original duster cap when it is not locked in the duster.
you should be able to lock it without it being in the neck I think, some caps are really fiddly, I had one where the key would turn slightly in the lock once you took it off, then it took awhile to get it back to the right place.
If you get a new cap be wary, you are also likely to get a new key for the filler cap as it'll have a different lock to the rest of the barrels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts