UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, sorry been quiet for a while been a bit busy. Just done 4000 miles in the duster and all is good.

Just wanted to check, I had stupidly forgotten to fill up with fuel before going over dartmoor the other day and on return journey fuel light came on, managed to get to filling station after doing another 10 miles.

When I filled the tank to the brim it said 41 litres which is fine except the car is supposed to have a 50 litre tank. Even assuming 40mpg 10 litres would have been 80 miles so the warning light shouldn't have been on.

Anyone know what the actual capacity of the tank is, by the way it was a moderately warm day and its a Diesel engine so wouldn't have thought too much expansion of the fuel.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hi James,

I'm assuming you stopped filling at the first 'cut-out' of the pump? In my experience of diesels, this happens well before the actual tank capacity is reached; in my Kia Cee'd SW it happens with nearly a third of a tank still to go! This is due to diesel's propensity for foaming - developing a 'head,' if you will. It's the same effect you'd get by pouring diet coke into an upright pint glass.

So, when you reach 41 litres, you have accumulated 9 litres of foam, and the pump detects back-pressure and cuts out. Give it a few seconds to settle and gently keep adding small amounts at a time and you will eventually reach full capacity.

Be warned, though, this can be a frustrating and (depending on relative heights of the filler neck and yourself) back-breaking exercise; attempt only with great patience! Also, many manufacturers warn of dire consequences of filling past the first click. personally, I think this is just a knee-jerk response to a few cases of over-filling and subsequent leakage, as I have been filling my diesels right to the neck in this way for 15 years without an issue.

Hope this helps!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
It's a bad idea in any car to fill the tank to the brim unless you really need the range before the next fill. Over filling the tank causes the fuel gauge to misread and actually read low (I can't say if it is likely to cause any damage). There are a couple of threads here about just that happening and folk thinking the guage is broken.

When the fuel warning light comes on you have still got quite a lot of fuel in the tank, I did the same on a long run a few weeks back and drove nearly forty miles after the warning light lit up, that day I put almost 49 litres in the tank so could theoretically have done another ten miles... The up side to that is I now know for sure I can go 540 miles comfortably on a full tank on Highland roads,

Reactions: DOGSTAR

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wonder if filling up the fuel tank to the top, is actually bad for the fuel consumption. Afterall you are carrying alot of excess weight. Not sure about the density of fuel but with water 1 litre of water weighs 1kg. So a tank of 50 litres, that is adding 50kg to the car weights. So I always just half fill my tank, which is enough for longest there and back journey. There is no point is carrying that excess weight around.

Does any agree with my thinking here.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Yes, filling only halfway is what I normally do, just now I'm still interested in measuring mpg and doing long runs so a full tank is needed but later on I'll go back to filling halfway again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like Troute says..It just means there is a lot of miles left in the tank when the light first comes on..good thing IMO

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder if filling up the fuel tank to the top, is actually bad for the fuel consumption. Afterall you are carrying alot of excess weight. Not sure about the density of fuel but with water 1 litre of water weighs 1kg. So a tank of 50 litres, that is adding 50kg to the car weights. So I always just half fill my tank, which is enough for longest there and back journey. There is no point is carrying that excess weight around.

Does any agree with my thinking here.
Half a tank of fuel therefore equals the weight of one of my dogs. My previous car (diesel Picasso) always was in the 52 -55 mpg regardless of number of passengers or dogs. I am not so sure that there are great benefits to fuel economy and performance to not filling the tank fully, in a modern efficient car. However one dog as passenger in the 1928 Austin Seven (10bhp) makes the difference between ascending a hill in top gear or middle gear :)

So depending on the vehicle I might agree.......

Roly

·
Registered
230 Posts
normally when the fuel light comes on you are meant have have 5 liters left, which should give you 30-50 miles.

I have to say it looks like its more like 10 liters are left, when the light comes on.

Reactions: DOGSTAR

·
Registered
230 Posts
got 47 liters in on my last fillup.

thats probably 5 liters left in the tank and 2 liters in the filler pipe, as i filled her right up

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Wow that means I still had two gallons sloshing around in there, Shame the fuel gauge cuts in so early with the empty light. I would like the opportunity to do an extra 80 miles between fill ups, but once I have done about 30 miles with the light on I get nervous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Handbook say approx 50 l. Other day car was getting very low on fuel ( gauge showed empty ) so I check the trip meter - said 55 miles to go . Then 2 miles later nil ! Went to fill up as gauge showed empty - filled 47.85 litres.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I believe when the low fuel warning comes on the 'miles to go' disappears, well it does in mine

·
Registered
82 Posts
I posted on another topic that I topped up and reset the computer before setting off on a trip last month Folkestone-Telford-Bristol-Folkestone and the warning light came on with an indicated 50 miles left in the tank having driven 550 miles and used 11.8 gallons !

That represents 54 litres plus, say 5 litres left, giving a tank size of roughly 58-60 litres if topped up.

The mileage is correct for that journey and so I am forced to the conclusion that the tank is larger than advertised.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts