UK Dacia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I filled my Sandero Stepway for the first time today. The fuel light had come on about 15 miles beforehand. And I put 58.82 litres of fuel in and that was without brimming the tank which, being an everyday motorbike commuter, I try to discourage due to potential spillage.

I checked the handbook when I got home and it says fuel tank capacity is 50 litres 'approximately' but, assuming it wasn't empty, then the tank holds over 60 litres.

Very odd.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I filled my Sandero Stepway for the first time today. The fuel light had come on about 15 miles beforehand. And I put 58.82 litres of fuel in and that was without brimming the tank which, being an everyday motorbike commuter, I try to discourage due to potential spillage.

I checked the handbook when I got home and it says fuel tank capacity is 50 litres 'approximately' but, assuming it wasn't empty, then the tank holds over 60 litres.

Very odd.
the most I've managed is 64 - LOL

·
Registered
346 Posts
On my Lodgy the light comes on but the miles to go disappear when the figure gets to 50 Ks to go.

When the light comes on the miles to go is not accurate as when it goes from say 90 Ks to 80 Ks to go I actually only go 6Ks approx. As the fuel gets low the accuracy of both fuel remaining and miles to go readings get less accurate, but in my old Duster according to my Ks to go reading I should have ran out when I eventually reached a fuel station but could only squeeze 44 ltr in the tank. Needed to do that as I was travelling from Spain to UK.

My reason for getting so low was that the first fuel station on the sat nav was not there and the second was closed for renovations, was I sweating.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We are very lucky in Turkey, they don't activate the fuel computer so I fill up as soon as I can after the last segment is left, and we have to calculate Ltrs per 100KM with a set of log tables or a slide rule. LOL. All the cars I have had that were fitted with range computers have been incredibly inaccurate, just a gimmick so the marketing department can tick a box. IMHO - so don't trust them, advice to daughter has always been fill up when the tank is quarter full. In other words treat quarter full as empty and you wont get stranded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting reading all the comments.
I have just driven 30 kilometres with my fuel light on and was curious how much fuel I had left at the end of it.
I filled up as I normally would and was surprised to see 52.41 litres on the receipt.
Valencia Spain 7/10/2015

·
Registered
71 Posts
Still bemused about the fuel tank on my Duster..

Filled the tank to the brim at last refuel.

The warning light came on last weekend having done just over 470 miles.

After a further 30 or so miles I added 9.2ltr of diesel

(fuel computer reading i was averaging 50mpg)

This morning, having done a further 90 miles (total 589 miles) i decided to fill up.

Having read about foaming I am starting a habit of getting to about 30-35ltrs then waiting, then easing more in.

This morning I had the first click at about 35 liters but decided to squeeze more in (as surely it there could not be 15 litres in the tank still).

I eased the pump trigger and let it trickle in, but kept eye on the pump not the nozzle.

I suddenly heard splashing and noticed the tank overflowing ... at 39.21 litres on the pump!

In which case i should of had over 2 gallons fuel (or circa 100 miles) remaining in the tank before this morning!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Never trust the fuel low warning light ! Of necessity I had to drive my last car (an X-Type Jag) for the best part of 100 miles with it on, expecting the engine to splutter to a stop at any moment: it didn't. But I wouldn't want to risk it again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Duster handbook (1.65) states "When the pump cuts out at the end of the filling procedure, a maximum of two further filling attempts may be made, as there must be space to allow for expansion."

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
**Top Tip**
Always fill up a the coldest point of the day...
Fuel expands with heat and retracts with cold.. So you get more fuel for your money when its cold, I always try to fill mine first thing in the morning after the cooler night temperature.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
**Top Tip**
Always fill up a the coldest point of the day...
Fuel expands with heat and retracts with cold.. So you get more fuel for your money when its cold, I always try to fill mine first thing in the morning after the cooler night temperature.
hehehehe.............. And they say Yorkshire folk are frugal ?? heheheh

well done Nessi....lol

YJ

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
But what if you drive when it's the coldest point of the day? Would this mean lower mpg? I go to work at 4.30 in the morning :-o
This is definitely true on diesel tanks, I've often found a pool of diesel beside the freezer tanks at work when they've just been filled the following morning, the screw on caps aren't very good.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not so sure the weather really effects buying fuel. by that logic your energy bill will be cheaper during the winter months. Also diesel used to 'wax' in extreme cold so modern diesel has all sorts of additives to combat temperature fluctuation. If you buy 30 litres of fuel you get 30 litres - simple as

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
found this.............

"

THERMAL EXPANSION Like all liquids, diesel fuel expands slightly in volume as its temperature increases. The coefficient of thermal expansion measures the rate of the expansion. A typical value of the coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00083 per degree Celsius (0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit). Using this value, 1.000 gallon of diesel fuel at - 7 °C (2 0°F) will expand to 1.037 gallons at 3 8°C (100°F). "

---------

so,,,,,, If my maths are correct,,,,,

0.037 X 11 ( tank size ) = 0.407 ,,,,,,,

,,so nessi`s 11 gallon tankfull would turn into 11.4 gallons when at the correct temp.. heheheh ( cant believe i`m typing this )

But looking at Nessi`s location, he`d have to wait until the middle of August to take advantage of the extra 0.4 gallon. hehehehe

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you want to drive at 70mph and your fuel has expanded by 0.4l, I would think you would need to use slightly more throttle to get there, so no advantage.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
found this.............

"
[background=#fff9e3]THERMAL EXPANSION Like all liquids, diesel fuel expands slightly in volume as its temperature increases. The coefficient of thermal expansion measures the rate of the expansion. A typical value of the coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00083 per degree Celsius (0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit). Using this value, 1.000 gallon of diesel fuel at - 7 °C (2 0°F) will expand to 1.037 gallons at 3 8°C (100°F). "[/size][/background]
[background=#fff9e3]---------[/size][/background]

so,,,,,, If my maths are correct,,,,,

0.037 X 11 ( tank size ) = 0.407 ,,,,,,,

,,so nessi`s 11 gallon tankfull would turn into 11.4 gallons when at the correct temp.. heheheh ( cant believe i`m typing this )

But looking at Nessi`s location, he`d have to wait until the middle of August to take advantage of the extra 0.4 gallon. hehehehe

You have done the maths lol.... hence why you should not brim fill your fuel tank and why there should always be room left in your tank for expansion.

HaHaHa My location, location ,location... I love our summer its the best day of the year.

·
Registered
288 Posts
THERMAL EXPANSION Like all liquids, diesel fuel expands slightly in volume as its temperature increases. The coefficient of thermal expansion measures the rate of the expansion. A typical value of the coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00083 per degree Celsius (0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit). Using this value, 1.000 gallon of diesel fuel at - 7 °C (2 0°F) will expand to 1.037 gallons at 3 8°C (100°F). "

Which is why aviation fuel is sold by weight, not volume. For you to get the calorific value that you are purchasing, motor fuel should also be sold by weight but I suppose the differences are so small that it just isn't worth while. As it is stored underground, I suppose that most fuel in filling stations seldom gets hotter than 10 C at the point of delivery.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Still bemused about the fuel tank on my Duster..

Filled the tank to the brim at last refuel.

The warning light came on last weekend having done just over 470 miles.

After a further 30 or so miles I added 9.2ltr of diesel

(fuel computer reading i was averaging 50mpg)

This morning, having done a further 90 miles (total 589 miles) i decided to fill up.

Having read about foaming I am starting a habit of getting to about 30-35ltrs then waiting, then easing more in.

This morning I had the first click at about 35 liters but decided to squeeze more in (as surely it there could not be 15 litres in the tank still).

I eased the pump trigger and let it trickle in, but kept eye on the pump not the nozzle.

I suddenly heard splashing and noticed the tank overflowing ... at 39.21 litres on the pump!

In which case i should of had over 2 gallons fuel (or circa 100 miles) remaining in the tank before this morning!
So I know my tank on Friday morning was full

One days commute then last night a 290 mile roundtrip to Suffolk

Apparently I've used 6.2gallon @ 51mpg for 338 miles

My concern though i s that even though is that while just over half the 11 gal tank has been used my gauge is on the penultimate block!!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
An interesting thing happened when I first filled my Duster to the third cut off so presumably full. I did nearly 200 miles before the gauge showed any fall in level then it fell as the mileage racked up. Next time I only filled to the first cut off and gauge started to fall as it should. My theory is that the tank is closer to 60 litres, to allow for expansion and foaming, but the gauge is calibrated to read 50 litres when full. So if you wedge your tank to the brim the gauge won't register a fall until you get below 50 litres. From now on I don't fill beyond first click.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm going nuts with my 15plate diesel 4X4 Duster!

How accurate is the fuel gauge? I know the first bar can vary due to the filler pipe, but the other bars seem to go off at random increments, from 1.2gal to 0.6gal (the gal readings are from the trip clock).

The amount when "empty" can vary also, when the fuel light comes on we've put between 35 to 42 litres in, if as what we've been told that the light comes on we should have 30-40miles left in the tank, we have double if not triple that.

Please tell me I'm not going round the bend, and others are finding this too?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts