UK Dacia Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've already said I tend to fill up when I hit the final wedge and the miles to refuel shows dashes. At this point I can usually squeeze in 50 litres. This is on a 65 plate 4x2 diesel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my petrol 115 duster a few weeks ago. Fuel gauge took 172 miles to go down 1 'blob' then nearly 300 miles and it was still reading half full. Topped it up and it took just over 35 litres to fill from an apparanly half full tank. Definatly not correct as that means the half remaining was only 15 litres??

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
An interesting thing happened when I first filled my Duster to the third cut off so presumably full. I did nearly 200 miles before the gauge showed any fall in level then it fell as the mileage racked up. Next time I only filled to the first cut off and gauge started to fall as it should. My theory is that the tank is closer to 60 litres, to allow for expansion and foaming, but the gauge is calibrated to read 50 litres when full. So if you wedge your tank to the brim the gauge won't register a fall until you get below 50 litres. From now on I don't fill beyond first click.
This is pretty much it. There is a float in the tank and that float cannot go higher than the level mechanically set by the armature its on. Even if you fill past that point the float will remain at its highest point, meaning your gauge will say on full until the float can drop. The worst case scenario with this (unlikely mind you) is that over filling will cause the armature to bend upwards as the float tries to float to the higher fill level. This will then mean you show was empty when you actually have much more fuel left in the tank.

Karrot

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just realised that have used 9.6 gallons at the moment and 70miles showing as remaining but...

no warning light yet!

Am sure it is usually lit by now

·
Registered
1 Posts
My record fill (to the brim) in my Duster prestige is 58.15Liters, I generally fill up averaging the mid 50ish and generally return between 48-51 MPG this is not driving very frugally, that represents well over 700miles for a full tank, unfortunately, as with the previous postings above, its rather tedious due to the initial cut off point of around the mid 40's .

Attachments

41 - 49 of 49 Posts