UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting this here as it should be hopefully of interest to many outside of Scotland as well as those of us here. At the last Scottish meet in Aberfoyle, WeegieBob came up with a suggestion for a meet at the Transport Museum in Glasgow. We're talking about April-ish so quite far in the future but all the better for that in case anyone needs to arrange time off etc.

The Riverside museum is situated on the river Clyde and holds many different types of exhibit from cars to motorbikes, buses, trams and with Glasgow's great shipbuilding tradition, lots about ships of course :)

Link http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/riverside/Pages/default.aspx

Google maps - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=opera&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=riverside+museum&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=transport+museum+glasgow&cid=0,0,827807846402248707&ei=dEiCUvzdHoO0hAe77ICoDg&ved=0COoBEPwS

I think you could spend a whole day there quite easily so aiming to meet up mid morning? on whichever date we set.

Any way, if you think you'd be interested pop a post here and when we get an idea of numbers we can arrange some stuff. Bob himself isn't well just now but if he's recovered nearer the time he may be able to arrange for a guided tour for us (failing that we could possibly do it ourselves, I'm sure any cost split between those coming would be quite small)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Weegie

I hope you are still able to access the forum, and follow all that is happening

GET WELL SOON :wub:

From all of your friends from the Scottish McDacia Forum

Best wishes

DM xxx

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers DM.

A wee bit more info about the museum gleaned from the website..

Entrance to the exhibits is free! - you have to pay to park but it's only £1 for 4 hours.

Cafe in the museum and another on board the Tall Ship moored alongside.

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
I'm up for it too Troute, as long as I can work it round my shifts.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? I've been reading that they were a couple of years ago when it first opened but have since expanded the parking area and parking is meant to be ok now.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good thinking that has possibilities. :)

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
There's no way Truk will abandon his beast in a car park ....... I was at the museum the other weekend, there is loads of space for parking, then again I'm not sure what it was like

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nearer the time perhaps someone local can go past and see what it's like on a Saturday. I'm thinking it might not be so busy in Spring as it would be in Summer.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Nearer the time perhaps someone local can go past and see what it's like on a Saturday. I'm thinking it might not be so busy in Spring as it would be in Summer.
Try to avoid school holidays if you can, as it'll be mobbed...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Troute

Just sent message to DM saying that I wont make "Knockhill" but your idea of a possible venue at the T/Port Museum could fit in with myself. As long as it wouldn't be the W/end of April 25th, off to Pitlochry with Rambling Group for the W/end.

but sounds like a good day out to me

Jacobite 55011998.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just to reassure you all about the parking concerns mentioned - we have 530 parking bays directly across the service road from the museum, about 30 metres away. Parking is £1.00 for 4 hours or if you buy 2 tickets at the same time you'll get 8 hours for £2.00. Granted during the school holidays we are very full, but tell me a popular attraction that isn't during school holidays, especially on wet days.

However, I had arranged special permission for our group to park on the Museum's Front Plaza*, a display area directly in front of the main entrance, not used for routine parking, but reserved for special guests such as one-make car clubs making a dedicated visit. The only down side is its a very popular location for commercial companies, car clubs and events, so any suggested dates (there hopefully will be 2) are going to be dictated by the availability of the Plaza. If we can't agree on an available date, then there will be no problem whatsoever getting us all together in one of the 3 main car parks across the road.

Any dates I do suggest I promise will not be during Glasgow school holidays, I couldn't subject you all to that level of mind-numbing mayhem! :eek:

Exactly when I don't know at this moment, currently I'm working my way through the permission processes, once I have agreement in principal for those then I can start to harden up on suggested dates for you guys - but there'll be plenty of lead time to do my best ensuring a suitable date for the majority of those of you who wish to come.

WeegieBob. ;)

PS. Check this out - I stumbled on this web page looking for something else. Click or 'copy & paste' this link to a German web blog and go down about 2/3rds of the page, I was surprised! http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pmGbkdbFMjcJ:bewerbundsportal.ams.or.at/obj/index.php%3Fpage%3DThread%26threadID%3D1440+&cd=19&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts