UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First post... let's make it good.

I've owned my Sandero Laureate 1.2 from new since March 13 and adore it. Recently, after a few hours sat in near-freezing temperatures, the car has decided to break its habit of starting first time every time, and now I have to engage ignition a few times before the engine fires into life. No untoward sights, odours etc.

Any tips? Is there a painfully obvious solution that I've missed? Or is my battery on the way out?

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Turn on ignition and leave for 15 seconds, then try, and just hold in start position for a few seconds. Should do the trick.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
Turn on ignition and leave for 15 seconds, then try, and just hold in start position for a few seconds. Should do the trick.
what's the reason for leaving the ignition on for 15 seconds before cranking it over??

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I must admit, I'm not really mechanically minded. I can do some small basic things, and on older engines, quite a lot, however, with this, all I know is:
One day last week at -3 deg, the car wouldn't start, and I tried several times and then it did. It then revved up to about 4500 rpm for half a second, then down to idle... Strange...

More recently, in -2, I turned on ignition, waited, and then started... no problem. This has been the case a couple of times now. As I say, no idea how or why... could be totally coincidence, but that works for me :)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
The only rational reason I can think of is that the fuel pump is slow to kick in, so the wait is actually priming the fuel line? But even as I type this it seems incredibly unlikely that this is the case to me.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Tobster leaving the ignition on like that is not really beneficial to the engine as it will certainly drain the battery on these cold mornings and also could possibly damage the coil' next time just leave it all off for the 15 seconds and see if it has the same effectt

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Even the handbook suggests it (not thay we get that cold) -

"In very cold conditions (temperatures below -20°C): so that it is easier to start the engine, switch on the ignition for several seconds before starting the engine."

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
this worked in my old 1.4 fiesta and the c Max if its misbehaving. the cold weather may just stall the cars think time, which is what ford roughly put it down to in 05 on the fiesta. this may give it time to catch up. Who knows, but it usually does the trick.
The tce starts instantly everytime so I can't try it on mine.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
313 Posts
If the battery is on the way out, it should still be under warranty - go and ask for a new one.... :D I paid out £70+ for one on my old Hyundai, after it failed, only to find it would have been replaced foc under the warranty on the battery itself!

·
Registered
313 Posts
They're not on the vehicle warranty - They have their OWN warranty! Normally runs for two or three years, so it will activate when you buy the car... I hadn't realised until I mentioned it to Hyundai and they said I should have asked them.... They apparently could have given me a new one under the battery manufacturers warranty (not theirs) and back-charged it! Never know unless you ask.

Renault / DACIA use Renault / Nissan batteries, so they SHOULD have an additional manufacturer's warranty outside that of the vehicle.

·
Registered
517 Posts
There is no coil the ignition is CDI, they don't like being cold. leaving it on for a few seconds in cold weather enables it to charge up fully, it also gives the fuel side time to fully prime. Batteries are the same, IF you find the car wont crank on a cold day, give it a couple of attempts then leave it for 5 minutes (for the heat to dissipate through the electrolyte) , you could find it will recover and start the car - then go straight to Halfords and buy a new one :)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Anyone miss the days of carburettors, manual chokes and winter starting? Nope, me neither! :lol:

·
Registered
517 Posts
me neither, I had a Mini 1,100 in days gone by with a side draught twin 40 weber carb, the trumpets stuck into the cockpit, had to move the speedo (to the shed!). Anyway it had no choke as such and on very cold days I took a thermos flask of boiling hot water to work (Fords Dunton no less) and tipped the contents over the inlet manifold to warm it up a bit so the engine would fire - those were the days.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
Yep, I had a 45DCOE on my Mini. Starting it was a bit of a pop, bang, roar, backfire affair.

Reactions: DavidH

·
Registered
313 Posts
Had a bit of pop bang backfire on the Honda GB500tt at 6 o'clock this morning! Bit of choke on ,then off, filled the carb bowls, then cha-ching and it's ticking over lovely. A VERY cold ride over to my mates, where her electronic ignition Honda Hornet 600 won't start - despite me charging the battery for her yesterday. A ride out on my own for a bit, as the bike was warm, and then home by 9 am for a cuppa! Just thawing out about now.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts