UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Utterly gutted by chrisl300's assertion that anyone buying grated hard Italian cheese in a tub is a philistine (ref. photo-comp Christmas thread), I decided to put the usable life of non-grated Italian hard cheese to the test. The question: will it outlast my latest Duster rust-repairs? :blink: :D

So the 'best before' date on my Tesco Everyday Value Italian style hard cheese (it'll do for the test and will be a worthy Dacia competitor) is 24/2/15 and I bought it 23/12/14 and opened the pack on 28/12/14 (to be precise). My Duster goes in for 3rd tranche rust repairs on 5 Jan 15.

Anyone care to bet which will last the longest? (To note, I shall be keeping the cheese in the fridge!)

Pasta anyone? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
It's late and I've just got back from a weekend in Nottingham (No We didn't eat at Spanky Van Dyk's) but will post a picture of my rusty fridge tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's late and I've just got back from a weekend in Nottingham (No We didn't eat at Spanky Van Dyk's) but will post a picture of my rusty fridge tomorrow evening.
What exactly did you do at Spanky Van Dyk's?! :blink:

P.S. No need to put the Duster in the fridge.....as I look outside it's still encased in ice.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
There are so many possible answers to that question, Skrich. But the clue is in the name....

Van Dyk - cross-threading again, I do believe there was a post in the Jokes section about Dick Van Dyk...

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Sorry I only use Delicious, aromatic Parmigiano Reggiano cheese from Italy, matured for 24 months for a distinctive flavor and a wonderful, firm texture. A medium fat hard cheese made with raw milk.

Gangham Style is ok but not "Parmesan Style"

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Arob, help me out here. Do I admit to Chris that my supposed Parmesan is only Morrison's Italian Style cheese ( Tesco Value or Morrison's own brand - which is the most appalling- Discuss. You have 60 minutes starting from now.) Or will I go down in his estimation forever?

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Advanced Member

car.png VIEW GARAGE

Not sure if I am on the right thread but wondered if anyone on the Forum could help me with a problem I have with rust. I have a fridge freezer which suddenly developed rustspots.It is the white model, have since heard that the silver ones are less prone to rust.We bought it as it was described as an American fridge freezer but would you believe it, it was made in India!! Should I go back to Currys???

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-1070-0-48677900-1369085547.jpg

This was taken in May 13. Amazing what a difference a year and a half can make.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry about duplicate posts. Nothing seemed to happening so I hit save a few times.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
In my previous life I was a "White Goods" expert.

A Frosty Fridge (with the cooling panel at the back or in an ice box, that gets frosted up) is quite a damp atmosphere that allows mould to grow on cheese.

"Frost Free" fridges work a bit like car air-con. They still have cold pipes that get frosted up, its just that they are hidden away down the back. Air gets blown over them and into the fridge. which makes the air very dry (like how putting air-con on in winter will demist quicker). These pipes regularly defrost themselves, usually onto a tray over the compressor, from where the water evaporates into the air.

So Parmesan in a Frosty fridge will generally go mouldy, and in a frost free fridge will just dry out and basically last forever like an Egyptian mummy,

I think the dried out mummified cheese is what they put in those "ready grated" tubs you buy.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Chris, you are just a mine of information. I shall chuck out that old Morrison's cheese - can't bear the thought of putting anything mummified on my spag bol.

What is your take on olives?? Mine are from Asda but I have a feeling I may have just let myself down again.......

However, I only buy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, have I redeemed myself???

1 - 20 of 220 Posts