UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stepway has developed a fault on the handbrake warning system. When I am braking at the bottom of a steep gradient, the handbrake warning light comes on and gives a warning bleep.
I suspect a trip to the dealership is required to investigate. However, I am curious to know if any other owners have come across this one. The brakes are working fine so I am presuming this is an electrical bug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have just had a trawl through the handbook and found that this warning may be a sign of low level of brake fluid in system. So definitely a trip to the dealership .

·
Registered
234 Posts
They'll probably charge to check and top up your break fluid. Would be cheaper for you to have a quick check yourself before booing it into the garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Same thing started happening to me yesterday. Will check brake fluid level tomorrow. if it's not it, going to take it to garage and fight as the car had annual service a week ago

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just found this out yesterday, the handbrake warning bleep sounds if the handbrake is on even just a little bit, as in one or two notches.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
They'll probably charge to check and top up your break fluid. Would be cheaper for you to have a quick check yourself before booing it into the garage.
It is advisable to book it into the garage if the fluid level is low, The breaking system could have developed a leak which would be fixed under warranty. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just found this out yesterday, the handbrake warning bleep sounds if the handbrake is on even just a little bit, as in one or two notches.
My other half was guilty of this when driving my Clio3..me forever reminding her that she needs to lower the bloody lever all the way down..like how many times do I need to say this ..no wonder I am loosing my voice.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
370 Posts
My other half was guilty of this when driving my Clio3..me forever reminding her that she needs to lower the bloody lever all the way down..like how many times do I need to say this ..no wonder I am loosing my voice.. :rolleyes:
My first car with a hand brake warning, well apart from a light.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My stepway has developed a fault on the handbrake warning system. When I am braking at the bottom of a steep gradient, the handbrake warning light comes on and gives a warning bleep.
I suspect a trip to the dealership is required to investigate. However, I am curious to know if any other owners have come across this one. The brakes are working fine so I am presuming this is an electrical bug.
Check your brake fluid level in the reservoir it might be low and tripping in the level sensor!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Brake fluids should never be topped up. They are low because there is a problem ie worn pads, leaking cylinder, brake pipe etc.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Checked my brake fluid levels this morning and there was no fluid in the reservoir. Very strange as the car was serviced 2 weeks ago. opened the fill cap to top it up and noticed that rubber seal under the cap was twisted and top of it (side facing outside to the cap, not inside the reservoir) was soaked in fluid. Took it to the garage the same day, they checked and said that reservoir itself was deformed and was causing leaks through the cap (how did they missed it on first service??)

Spoke to manager and he told me to come next week when they have new reservoir ordered and they will change it as the car is under warranty.

Other thing i found strange that rubber hose going from reservoir down to engine compartment is just slipped on, nothing securing it in place, not even a zip tie.

If you have warranty just take the car to the dealer, they have to fix it as no break fluid needs topping up often

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also if you get the warning light while hard braking, braking when cornering or going uphill/ downhill means your fluid is lower than minimum. Fluid moving in the reservoir or brake lines moves around and activates sensor.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Checked my brake fluid levels this morning and there was no fluid in the reservoir. Very strange as the car was serviced 2 weeks ago. opened the fill cap to top it up and noticed that rubber seal under the cap was twisted and top of it (side facing outside to the cap, not inside the reservoir) was soaked in fluid. Took it to the garage the same day, they checked and said that reservoir itself was deformed and was causing leaks through the cap (how did they missed it on first service??)

Spoke to manager and he told me to come next week when they have new reservoir ordered and they will change it as the car is under warranty.

Other thing i found strange that rubber hose going from reservoir down to engine compartment is just slipped on, nothing securing it in place, not even a zip tie.

If you have warranty just take the car to the dealer, they have to fix it as no break fluid needs topping up often
A prime example why a low brake fluid level should be fully checked out by a competent person not just topped up in fear of being charged a little bit of money.
A break fluid system is a pressurised sealed system any loss of fluid indicates a problem.
A faulty breaking system is a serious safety hazard... what is more important your money or your life.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
With regards to brake fluid its Hygroscopic ..that means it takes in moisture so the whole system needs bleeding ..usually on a second service..
Never heard that one before, Bleeding the brake system removes air from the system not water.

There should be no reason for you to have to bleed your brakes unless you've removed brake lines from the callipers or replaced the master cylinder which would introduce air into the system.

The service interval for a complete brake system flush should be listed in your owner's manual. my Steppy calls for this service every 72,000 miles (or every 4 years).

On every annual service it calls for a Check the Levels, condition and sealing of the brake circuit.

Bleeding the brakes just gets the air out of the system, flushing the brakes is basically replacing all the old brake fluid with fresh fluid.

However Dacia do use Dot4 brake fluid which is glycol based which does absorb water over a long period of time and deteriorates so hence a full flush every 4 years.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok here we go.

1) Brake systems at the reservoir are not pressurised, breather holes in the reservoir cap allow the fluid to move into the master cylinder which then pressurises the brake fluid in the rest of the system and moves the slave cylinders.

2) As the pads and shoes wear the slave cylinders have to move further out. This means that more fluid is held in the pipes and slave cylinders, reducing the amount of fluid in the reservoir which will eventually need topping up.

3) When shoes and pads are replaced the slave cylinders will have to be moved back to their original position and some fluid will have to be removed from the reservoir.

4) Brake fluid over a period of time will absorb water. If not changed this water under heavy and prolonged braking will heat up and can turn into vapour which will cause the brake pedal to become 'spongy' reducing the amount of force transferred to the brake pads and shoes.

5) Dot 4 brake fluid absorbs less moisture than Dot 3. Most manufacturers advise changing the brake fluid every 2 or 3 years.

6) Moisture in brake fluid will also corrode pipes and cylinders, so if you want to avoid extra costs make sure you change your fluid according to the manufacturers service guide.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Never heard that one before, Bleeding the brake system removes air from the system not water.

There should be no reason for you to have to bleed your brakes unless you've removed brake lines from the callipers or replaced the master cylinder which would introduce air into the system.

The service interval for a complete brake system flush should be listed in your owner's manual. my Steppy calls for this service every 72,000 miles (or every 4 years).

On every annual service it calls for a Check the Levels, condition and sealing of the brake circuit.

Bleeding the brakes just gets the air out of the system, flushing the brakes is basically replacing all the old brake fluid with fresh fluid.

However Dacia do use Dot4 brake fluid which is glycol based which does absorb water over a long period of time and deteriorates so hence a full flush every 4 years.
You misunderstood my post..the fluid absorbs water so it become ineffective to some extent..thats why the system needs bleeding ..fluid change has always been on the second service on every other car I have owned..it was that way on my clio so I cant see why Dacia should be any different..

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ok here we go.

1) Brake systems at the reservoir are not pressurised, breather holes in the reservoir cap allow the fluid to move into the master cylinder which then pressurises the brake fluid in the rest of the system and moves the slave cylinders.

2) As the pads and shoes wear the slave cylinders have to move further out. This means that more fluid is held in the pipes and slave cylinders, reducing the amount of fluid in the reservoir which will eventually need topping up.

3) When shoes and pads are replaced the slave cylinders will have to be moved back to their original position and some fluid will have to be removed from the reservoir.

4) Brake fluid over a period of time will absorb water. If not changed this water under heavy and prolonged braking will heat up and can turn into vapour which will cause the brake pedal to become 'spongy' reducing the amount of force transferred to the brake pads and shoes.

5) Dot 4 brake fluid absorbs less moisture than Dot 3. Most manufacturers advise changing the brake fluid every 2 or 3 years.

6) Moisture in brake fluid will also corrode pipes and cylinders, so if you want to avoid extra costs make sure you change your fluid according to the manufacturers service guide.
Thats it No4 in the list.. :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Your best off not fiddling with anything like that like another poster said, just let the dealer loose on it, brakes, tyres etc not worth taking the risk on, if it's faulty I'd probably get them to collect, it shouldn't be failing this early on, brakes are fairly maintenance free for a good few years, most cars I've kept up to 4 years I've never had anything but routine fluid changes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts