UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought myright hand drive Duster two months ago and can see how to adjust the headlights for no of passengers / luggage etc but I am in France at the moment and going to drive back through France to UK at night. I used to put black insulation tape on my headlights to stop dazzling other drivers whilst on the European mainland but I'm not sure where to place them on the Duster? To the left of the main beam? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi DM,

Many thanks its diagram 2 but the diagrams have not been published on the website. Have tried searching in Google for it but no luck so far. Thanks anyway.

OG

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
There is a big round knob under and to the right of the steering wheel, near your right knee, that adjusts the headlights for loading/passengers. Its a mechanical thing, attached to the headlights by cables that physically moves them.

One way to stop the dazzle is to put your car a few feet from a light coloured wall/garage door etc. at night, turn the headlights on, and you'll see the beam pattern which should have a raised part on the left side, which is what allows you to read road signs without dazzling on-coming drivers. For continental driving just put some tape over the lights to cover up that raised part. You can find the placement using your hands to cover part of the beam.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did I not read in the manual that you can adjust your lights by tweaking a screw at each headlight for driving on 'tother side of the road ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see this thread is old but hopefully still being watched, I have a RHD 4x4 Duster 2016 and will be heading to the continent tomorrow and wondered if I can get away without those horrible headlight stickers. I have seen the beam adjustment and done the vertical adjustment and wondered if the horizontal is needed as the OEM lights look like flat beam (same left and right beams).#

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Simon

·
Registered
841 Posts
I see this thread is old but hopefully still being watched, I have a RHD 4x4 Duster 2016 and will be heading to the continent tomorrow and wondered if I can get away without those horrible headlight stickers.
It's a bit late now, but if you're driving on UK plates, there's a chance you'll be pulled over by French police for safety checks, like the fluorescent vests for each passenger, etc.

I haven't been stopped for a couple of years now, but I stick on the headlight beam blockers, as they are cheap and ward off roadside fines. They are available at all the ports and Chunnel Terminal.

If you are stopped by French police it can get quite prolonged, with offers to drive you to the nearest ATM for the annoying fines, nitpicking over insurance details, and a rummage of the boot for illegal objects.

The Dacia's have cabin headlight height adjusters, you can point those out Le Fuzz if stopped, as the actual legislation is along the lines of 'Do Not Dazzle' rather than 'Fit Deflectors.'

Argument is often futile and just riles them up. And, they've got guns. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurolites-N92160-Headlamp-Adaptors-Driving/dp/B001P5SPJW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482222808&sr=8-3&keywords=headlight+deflectors

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks repso. I Thought as much, I was going to do the horizontal adjustment but have not had time but other than that the car is kitted to the max including the 2 breathalyser kits just to keep them happy

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I'm always told that there are hoards of continental police waiting to pounce on British cars at the channel ports checking your fluorescent jackets are accessible from the passenger compartment, and you have a breathalyser and another spare breathalyser in case you use the first one (and another spare in case you use two etc.). You'd think there was no crime in France for them to spend time on.

But I've driven on the continent many times and hardly ever seen a police car, and I've never met anyone who has been fined, and you definitely don't need a breathalyser because although the law says you need one, there is no penalty for not having one.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Brit drivers are more likely to be stopped for speeding. When that happens, a rain of doom descends as other malfeasances come to light; No fire extinguisher, no bulb kit, no yellow vests, no brains. They can and do take away driving licences.

I use the cheap Eurolite deflectors, mostly to avoid being pulled over for 'Driving While British.' They don't actually deflect, just block-off the 'up-tick' bit on the beam. Horrible, but might save an argument.

I was stopped by French police twice in 2016 for ID checks. Police went through all the paperwork for the car, including the V5. Very polite, they were.

"But I've driven on the continent many times and hardly ever seen a police car":

1 - 16 of 16 Posts