UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and a happy New Year to all forum members. I have just ordered an A8 heads up display fom e bay the reason being it portrays everything on the windscreen including temperature guage, which the Dacia does not have,

It plugs into the cars obdi port and I think is ok for £30, has anybody fitted or used one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I guess thats pretty much the same as the one I suggested in the Options You Wish Dacia Could Offer thread.

Its not something I have tried, just something I happened to see. I don't think its anything I would use, but I'd certainly be interested in what you think of it. On the Logan the diagnostic port is in the back of the glove box. There is a nice hole just by it to get a cable back out of the glovebox.

Its very easy to get a cable from there upto the windscreen as I ran my dash cam cable down the A pillar and into the fuse box just there. Then ran a video out cable into the glove box incase I want to plug a monitor in and play back any footage.

Just pull the door seal off and that will give you plenty of space to get in, then pop it back after.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fitted the A8 heads up display yesterday, the cable is long enough to go down the window pillar and into the glove box.

I placed the unit which is the size of a small mobile phone into the recess on the dashboard were it reflects up onto the windscreen, you don't even need the reflective film provided as it shows on the screen perfectly (no ghosting).

Now I have engine temp, rpm, fuel consumption and more, its very easy to set up and to synchronise, I think this is more useful to the access and ambience drivers with no driver computer.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sounds good, let us know how it goes after you've been using it awhile, had a hud on a iveco truck a few years back.... It was the best thing on it :-D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fitted the A8 heads up display yesterday, the cable is long enough to go down the window pillar and into the glove box.

I placed the unit which is the size of a small mobile phone into the recess on the dashboard were it reflects up onto the windscreen, you don't even need the reflective film provided as it shows on the screen perfectly (no ghosting).

Now I have engine temp, rpm, fuel consumption and more, its very easy to set up and to synchronise, I think this is more useful to the access and ambience drivers with no driver computer.
Hi Mike

I was considering installing one of the A8 displays and was wondering if you are still happy with the unit? and how easy was it to fit?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi MGTaylor . I am very happy with the unit and its real easy to install, it just plugs into the obdi port inside the glove box. now I can see water temp, fuel consumption, mph, rev counter etc, all displayed on the windscreen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi MGTaylor . I am very happy with the unit and its real easy to install, it just plugs into the obdi port inside the glove box. now I can see water temp, fuel consumption, mph, rev counter etc, all displayed on the windscreen.
Thanks for the info Mike, I may get one on Amazon as they are about the same price as you have paid. Is there enough room to easily pass the cable from the das top down to the OBDI port?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Would like a like for the unit if you can and tell us how you ran the cable without it looking naff..PLEASE.. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have mine in the recess on top of the dash,the cable goes across and tucks into the a pillar,use a credit card or similar to tuck the cable in, When you get to the bottom of the glovebox take the cable underneath were you will find an opening by the obdi port and plug it in. They supply a reflective screen to stick on the windscreen for clearer vision and to stop you seeing a double image, I found on the sandero you do not need, it shows up fine. Go on you tube for the video A8 heads up display unit, it shows all including installation, some people may say its a gimmick, I say its safer not having to look down at your speedo + having water temp and alarms available which you can set for yourself. Hope the info helps,great forum.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Got one of these A8 hud units which works a treat once you work out the full range of options and tweak the settings to match the car and your own preferences. The temperature bar graph display only really works in centigrade as it goes up to 120, so no use if you are from the USA and struggle with metric units. Only one problem on the Duster - the cable supplied is only 1.5m long and does not reach from the driver's side ( in the uk) to the socket in the glove box for a proper install. Currently using it coming out of the front of the glove box. So a bit of reworking and extending of the cable required. Taken a while to ensure the pin outs are correct as the lead uses all five plus screen of the mini USB plug. I'm looking at doing a manual cut and stretch of the cable supplied unless someone knows where I can get a replacement that's about 2.5m long. Not found a 6 cable mini USB extension lead available on eBay, Amazon, RS etc. Ho Hum

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've bought one and I'm still deciding how and where to position it and hide the cable properly. I'll report back when I've installed it properly.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Got a good position for it directly in front of the steering wheel in the Duster and the heads up digital speedometer is very good - especially in daylight when the duster dashboard dials are very gloomy. Got some 6 core flat flexible cable coming so that I can route it properly.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Small tablet and free app off play store can do the same, use blue tooth. ...no wires

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Tablet battery goes flat, tablet gets nicked because it's lying temptingly on the dashboard, data is always just a hair behind as the app needs to translate what arrives by bluetooth.

Dedicated HUD is small and cheap, comes with the mirrored overlay which you will most likely need. Dacia dashboards are easy to run cables about/through/up/under so they can be hidden.

I went for a GPS version because I wanted a more accurate speed measurement than the car provided. Less info but speed is really all that's needed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Small tablet and free app off play store can do the same, use blue tooth. ...no wires
I agree with Bob. Why would I buy this when I already have a tablet and a 5" Android phone?

As for having it stolen I would think leaving anything resembling electronics on the dash when the car is left unattended has the risk of being stolen.

I went for a GPS version because I wanted a more accurate speed measurement than the car provided. Less info but speed is really all that's needed.
DigiHUD Speedometer is a free, and ad-free, GPS based digital head up display (HUD) for Android. Both of my devices have GPS and I am not bothered about one wire over the dash.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you guys like this, had to go to the airport at 4 this morning, so its the first time I have used it in the dark, I was really impressed, don't know about a longer cable on the sandero it fits fine, I'm sure a PC hardware store or Maplin must have something.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
There is no such thing if all 5 pins are connected one to one it is not a USB cable but simply using the connectors.

The extra pin 4 is the ID pin and if used on mini connectors is either grounded host at one end and open device at the other. It was introduced for devices such as tablets to act as a host when e.g. a memory stick was plugged in or a device when connected to a PC. If used only one end can be grounded. This is an OTG cable.

Micro connectors introduced three values of resistance to ground to accommodate chargers and whether the device was allowed to charge over usb, transfer data or both.

If your cable is a mini usb otg it will be grounded at pin 4 at one end only presumably the display end and a standard usb extension cable can be used at the other end ( or vice versa ).
yup it's just using the connector. Certainly not standard mini USB. Having worked out the pin outs from the odb2 I'll knock up a custom cable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts