UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon folks,

Im new to this forum and to Dacia's (please be gentle) haha for my sins Ive owned Green Oval's for 25 years so know the common "themes" / issues etc.
I am now looking to change and thinking about a 4wd Duster (Possibly 2014 diesel but open to suggestions) but dont know anything about them, I am interested in things like:
  • Which model(s) to look at
  • Common faults / known issues / costs of repairs of these and reliability
  • "Realistic" MPG figures (cant be any worse than Landrovers - Hopefully)
  • Any recommendations re upgrades / mods for 4wd / green laning use please
  • generally what do you guys think of the 4wd version or is it a love hate relationship like it is with Landrovers :)
Any info / advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
T

·
Registered
97 Posts
Having owned a few land rovers and currently own a 2 year old Duster I can confirm that the reliability of Dacia beats Land Rover hands down. I don't understand how Land Rover gets away with it to be honest. Dacia aren't as luxurious, obviously but they feel like they would go on forever and that's why I love mine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The 2014 model would be Phase 1. Go for a newer Phase 2. U could recognise it by the new headlamps. The engine bay layout is far better, interiors better, newer software for ECU. Eco mode was absent earlier & perhaps TC on/ off button also. U get Media Nav2.

Fuel efficiency while cruising in 5th or 6th is a shade better than the 85PS version due to the gearing.

Check engine bay, wiring harness (I mean is it looking original or some hamfisted clowns have created havoc), underchassis (on a lift), rear suspension (incl oil leaks from rear shocks). Check the 'blow by' from the oil dipstick tube. Check for oily residue around the plastic pipe junction coming from the turbo & connecting to the intercooler pipe. If u remove 2 bolts & the clip & find a lot of black engine oil there, then the turbo is leaking the oil & it's getting into the intercooler.

Wheel alignment report & past history.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The 2nd gen started in 2017. There was a facelift before this (2015) & engine bay layout was also changed. Please confirm locally. The differences are significant & worth paying something more.

A 2014 model is already 8 yrs old & u might spend good money on it (clutch/ pressure plate, brakes, tyres, battery, rear suspension, Continental injectors/ fuel pump, turbo). Factor in the additional amount that u are willing to spend on a 2nd hand car (u don't know the previous owner or the past history).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have the "Phase 2" (facelifted first model) on a 64 plate, but actually a '15 model. The original Dusters have and do suffer with rust issues due to some shenanigans going on in the Indian manufacturing plant, so production was switched to Eastern Europe for the Phase 2 onwards.

My now 7.5 year old 65k miles 4x4 has had a headlight switch replaced (common fault affecting the horn) and glow plugs. It's on it's second set of tyres and original brakes (discs & pads!). Once out of warranty I've serviced it myself. The engine is reliable and is probably the most common (modern) diesel engine on the planet which is or has been used by many manufacturers.

I consistently get 44mpg in 2WD and slightly less in "auto" mode. At that age Laureate trim is the best. They have the same lift as a Freelander (8" clearance) so for off road a lift kit might be wanted, but there are some youtube vids of some serious off roading being done in Turkey by standard cars.

It's not the most refined of cars- we call ours the tractor, but it has been exceptional value for money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Post a bluefin reprogram of the ECU on my 2015 Lauréate dCi 110 I'm seeing 50 mpg in 2wd. Towing is much better and general drive is much smoother with the motor pulling a bit better and no flat or hesitant spots.
My partners even willing to drive it now but still thinks the seats are uncomfortable. bit of a cheek numbness issue due to an old injury!!
I've had a S2 & 3 and the duster isn't as good off road, but then it's hard to beat the axle articulation on a sorted landie BUT it doesn't drink fuel and the inside stays dry ... S3 hardtop was a bit like a sieve, oddly the softop was much drier.
Gearing is good enough without a high/low box as 1st is already a crawl gear and mostly redundant on road, not fast but it gets there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts