UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help? Dacia Duster diesel. Went on long drive so engine hot, stopped for 30 mins. then tried to start. Diesel preheating light and immobiliser light acted normally but would not start. Eventually called RAC - engineer did not know cause but as a last resort he hand pumped the diesel priming bulb and it started. He was not confident that this was anything to do with the problem. Previously I have had other "hot start" problems where the immobiliser light was flashing abnormally - on all these occasions I eventually got it to start. Took to dealer and had diagnostic under warranty. They re installed engine management software, again under warranty.

I am going to take the car on long journeys in France and have already had an instance of the immobiliser light acting abnormally with a hot starting difficulty - but did start after a while.

Want to take car back to dealer - any suggestions as to what is wrong?

Thanks HBK ( Ian Hardie, Edinburgh )

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
No idea Ian but you're doing the right thing getting it back to the dealer. Let them figure it out before you go away hopefully.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Can anyone help? Dacia Duster diesel. Went on long drive so engine hot, stopped for 30 mins. then tried to start. Diesel preheating light and immobiliser light acted normally but would not start. Eventually called RAC - engineer did not know cause but as a last resort he hand pumped the diesel priming bulb and it started. He was not confident that this was anything to do with the problem. Previously I have had other "hot start" problems where the immobiliser light was flashing abnormally - on all these occasions I eventually got it to start. Took to dealer and had diagnostic under warranty. They re installed engine management software, again under warranty.

I am going to take the car on long journeys in France and have already had an instance of the immobiliser light acting abnormally with a hot starting difficulty - but did start after a while.

Want to take car back to dealer - any suggestions as to what is wrong?

Thanks HBK ( Ian Hardie, Edinburgh )
I seen the words Edinburgh hot, and thought to myself someone is having a laugh here every time I am in Edinburgh its blinkin freezing lol.
If I was you Ian I would defo get it booked back in to get it checked, and before you take it in give it a good run so its nice and hot when you drop it off so hopefully it will play up when the mechanic tries to start it up to drive into the workshop...
But thinking what the AA done to get it started it could be fuel draining back, hence the fuel had to be primed to get it started, but then in that case that should not be just a hot start problem... but in saying that pipes are more supple when hot so air could be getting in allowing the fuel to drain back but then I would also be looking for a fuel leak... its just a possible theory

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only other Renault diesel engine I have had experience of was in a Kangoo van, the property of a former employer. That was about 8 or 9 years ago.

The engine had an intermittant fault and would fail to start on occasions when the engine was hot or cold. It turned out to be a faulty crankshaft rotation sensor.

I didn't mind it failing first thing in the morning as it gave me a legit' excuse for not turning up to work on time; but not much fun if it packed up mid afternoon, 30+ miles from home!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts