UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER:

IF YOU CREATE A PROBLEM AFTER FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE YOU MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

This is a really easy job, well done to the designers who created an air filter that doesn't need any tools to access.

Here is the new genuine filter in its bag. Locate the air box behind the battery.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive battery Auto part Automotive exterior

Air box:

Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Squeeze the tabs on either side of the box and pull the tray up at the same time. Index fingers on the tabs, thumbs gripping the top to pull out.

Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive mirror Grille

Pull it straight up:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Old filter in the tray:

Grille Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

New filter vs. old filter:

View attachment 18369

Clean in here with a vac if there are leaves etc.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remove old filter from tray and replace with the new one.

Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive exterior Gas

Slide the tray back in and make sure it is secure:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

All done!

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive fuel system

Attachments

Reactions: TheDusterPilot

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
I fitted a K&N 33-3007 to my Stepway, cannot say that I have noticed any improvement in 'go' or mpg, but at least I will never have to change it again, just wash it out now and then !! ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I fitted a K&N 33-3007 to my Stepway, cannot say that I have noticed any improvement in 'go' or mpg, but at least I will never have to change it again, just wash it out now and then !! ;)
But K&N filters need oiling my little padawan and as your car runs a Maf it can seriously damage the sensor..this is a good post and the kind of post a forum needs ..the filter change was one of the things I first looked at and it was an easy change as shown in the guide..the other was how to get to the oil filter ..also shown by another poster..with prospective members of dacia cars looking for how do we do its ..I feel its this kind of post that will bring good rep to this forum..well done to Dizplay and to any member following his example.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
But K&N filters need oiling my little padawan and as your car runs a Maf it can seriously damage the sensor..this is a good post and the kind of post a forum needs ..the filter change was one of the things I first looked at and it was an easy change as shown in the guide..the other was how to get to the oil filter ..also shown by another poster..with prospective members of dacia cars looking for how do we do its ..I feel its this kind of post that will bring good rep to this forum..well done to Dizplay and to any member following his example.. :)
I have a K&N cleaning and 'oiling' kit. I know that I have to make sure it's 'dry', to make sure no damage to the MAF occurs, before refitting ! ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a K&N cleaning and 'oiling' kit. I know that I have to make sure it's 'dry', to make sure no damage to the MAF occurs, before refitting ! ;)
Just thought I would give you fair warning,I have friends that have come unstuck using them..would have been better off with a cotton gauze type if you can get one..personally they are a waste of time give no improvement of BHP and are two expensive when you work out filters can be bought cheap enough and last a fair amount of time..your choice so no more to be said.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Just thought I would give you fair warning,I have friends that have come unstuck using them..would have been better off with a cotton gauze type if you can get one..personally they are a waste of time give no improvement of BHP and are two expensive when you work out filters can be bought cheap enough and last a fair amount of time..your choice so no more to be said.. :)
Just thought that I'd give the K&N a try ! After all, it's only money !! :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, so far I have created photo guides for oil change, air filter and cabin filter replacement. My goal is to document all the servicing procedure as I do it.

I have appreciated photo guides on other car forums so I thought I would make some for the Dacia because there aren't many websites in English about the Dacia models.

I have also heard about the oil from washable filters gumming up the MAF but I've never felt the need to fit that style of filter. I think as long as you don't over saturate the filter with oil it should be OK but personally I wouldn't bother fitting them as replacing it is cheap and easy.

Out of interest, did you choose the K&N over standard because you were hoping to improve performance or fuel economy or because its a lifetime washable filter?

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Dizplay :- Out of interest, did you choose the K&N over standard because you were hoping to improve performance or fuel economy or because its a lifetime washable filter?

Roger :- A bit of them all ! ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
The spray oil is quite tacky / sticky. However, I would let it dry before going WOT. I have used several on different vehicles over many years and feel more confident it is trapping fine particles (dust). I prefer its aural sensation to the high metallic pitched (Oh! I can hear my turbo spooling) noise a low restriction paper or cotton gauze one provides. I love that low guttural induction noise at full tilt.

MAFs should be cleaned periodically anyway. Some use carb cleaner aerosol, but I prefer electrical contact solvent thinking it is probably less aggressive. Just be careful to not damage the O-ring. Give it a slight twist before lifting out. I apply petroleum (Vaseline) or preferably, naval jelly to ensure an airtight fit and to ease the next removal.

Actually, one should calibrate the MAF, if one can access the appropriate ECU map 2D table (non-linear voltage x g/s - yes, even non-metrics use g/s) using the LTFT in the closed loop portion and AFR difference (commanded vs actual) in open loop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My mechanic has a kid who comes in with a laptop to do all the electrical stuff and reading your post Dust Buster I can see why ????

·
Registered
521 Posts
My mechanic has a kid who comes in with a laptop to do all the electrical stuff and reading your post Dust Buster I can see why
I didn't mean to sound all superior or worse, not communicate properly at all (like some kids?). Let me try again. The mass airflow (MAF) is just two wires dangling in the airstream. Simplistically (see potentiometers for more details), the more the wires are deflected, the more it registers a voltage change. Being analogue, it registers different voltage with low deflection vs high deflection (non-linear). Being mass produced, the computer (engine control unit - ECU) is mapped to reflect the "average" voltage differences at low and high deflection. What is mapped against the voltages? The answer is grams / second. So, the ECU uses the MAF table with the fuel tables to determine the amount of fuel to inject (pulse width).

My previous statement referred to more accurately reflecting the actual g/s for the specific vehicle's MAF in the MAF table (instead of using an industry "average") to get the air fuel ratio (AFR) correct.

Let me know if you want to know how to calibrate the MAF. I don't want to be thought of as talking down to anyone if this is common knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi dizplay. Thank you for your guides. A couples of questions:
1. Do you have a guide for draining/filling the AT on a 2010 1.6 petrol?
2. Which ATF fluid is required?
3. Are there any English repair manuals for this car?
Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi dizplay. Thank you for your guides. A couples of questions:
1. Do you have a guide for draining/filling the AT on a 2010 1.6 petrol?
2. Which ATF fluid is required?
3. Are there any English repair manuals for this car?
Thanks.
Jeff
Hi, sorry I don't have this information. You can look at the Shell or Castrol websites, they can tell you the correct ATF. Look at some guide for Renault AT if you don't find a Dacia one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts