UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing my oil, the other serviceable item due on the first service was the cabin filter.

DISCLAIMER:

IF YOU CREATE A PROBLEM AFTER FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE YOU MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

Let me start by saying this job has been made needlessly difficult by the people who make these cars and this is the worst cabin filter job I've ever done, which is all the more reason for doing it myself and not having someone else screw it up. Having said that, its definitely worth doing yourself because it only requires one tool (and lots of wiggling and fighting the carpet) :p .

The cabin filter is located in the front passenger foot area near the foot vent up behind the centre console.

WP_20150418_003.jpg

That black thing sticking out of the cut out in the carpet is where hot/cold air is blown at your feet.

Above the vent is a plastic nut that you need to unscrew to get the carpet out of the way.

WP_20150418_005.jpg

WP_20150418_006.jpg

The stud is a plastic thing that is just push fit into some part of the car and might fall out, which is what happened to me. It shouldn't really come off but this kind of thing is expected when dealing with plastic fittings.

WP_20150418_007.jpg

Here you can see the cover for the filter, as you can see I have started removing the lower screw.

I used this Torx screw driver, a short stubby screw driver will be better in hindsight.

WP_20150418_008.jpg

Cover removed:

WP_20150418_011.jpg

Pull the old filter out and note which way the air flow arrow is pointing

WP_20150418_012.jpg

Along with any leaves

WP_20150418_015.jpg

Genuine new vs. old:

WP_20150418_023.jpg

Interestingly, both new and old filters have Renault, Valeo, Mann Filter logos. Manufacturing date and "Made in Germany" on them. So now you can tell badge snobs your Dacia has German parts in it haha :D . Also, the sealed packaging has a sticker that says Renault Group, a part number and Made in Romania on it, so the filter must be German and the plastic bag is Romanian. ;)

WP_20150418_024.jpg

Note the air flow arrow on the right

At this point, get a vacuum cleaner and clean and leaves or whatever that might have come out and fallen into the carpet/insulation. I also removed another clip for the carpet near the bonnet release but I didn't get a photo.

next post cont.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Slide the new filter in. MAKE sure that the air flow arrow is pointing the right way.

WP_20150418_028.jpg

This is the most difficult bit, it seems like the filter is too big for the housing but really its not, you have to push it from the middle and it will collapse like an accordion, once it gets in, it will spring back into its normal shape and you'll know its in correctly.

This is how it should look when its in.

WP_20150418_031.jpg

When you're sliding it in, be careful of the insulation material and carpet, if you're not careful the filter will catch the fluffy insulation and take it into the air vent system.

Slide the cover onto the housing. The bottom bit has to slide under the filter a little bit.

WP_20150418_033.jpg

Don't forget the Torx screws.

Refit the carpet, vacuum again if needed. Don't forget the plastic screw / clip you removed.

That's it!

Some cars have the filter by the scuttle panel, other cars behind the glovebox. This HVAC system which is shared on the Clio 3, Sandero, and Logan MCV (maybe other Renault products too) has such a fiddly and annoying filter placement. I ended up taking my shoes off and sitting on the seat upside down, with my feet in the air by the headrest and my head on the floor because it took a while to work out how to fit the filter. At one point I was convinced that the filter was too big because even the old filter put up a fight when I was trying to pull it out, which is why it looks a bit messed up in the photos. Despite this, its very much a good DIY job, just park the car somewhere bright where you can open the door all the way, slide the seat all the way back and remove the floor mat. It might be an idea to vacuum before to make the working area clean and after to remove any of the insulation and leaves that might fall out.

Attachments

Reactions: Kermit

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well done bud for putting this up. That's the same procedure that I did in my 2003 Megane when I had it....which was a right PITA!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done bud for putting this up. That's the same procedure that I did in my 2003 Megane when I had it....which was a right PITA!
Ah that must be when they switched the design because our 2002 Megane had it under the scuttle panel. In comparison, on my Yaris you just pop off the glove box and its there with very easy access. I can't remember if you even need a screwdriver for the job. With the Dacia, I was hunting around for a while, I was going to do it at the same time as the oil change but I gave up looking for it lol.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Unsurprisingly my Citroen C4 Grand Picasso was the same procedure. An Astra I had had the filter under the scuttle. I've not even looked where it is on the Duster yet!

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Pardon me for asking, but somewhere on this forum I am sure it says that access to the cabin filter on Sandero/Logan range is beside & below the clutch pedal, on the drivers side of the centre console & that you move the carpet & just pull it out ! :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pardon me for asking, but somewhere on this forum I am sure it says that access to the cabin filter on Sandero/Logan range is beside & below the clutch pedal, on the drivers side of the centre console & that you move the carpet & just pull it out ! :eek:
Yes, I have read that. Its absolute rubbish that threw me off when I was looking for it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great guide - out of interest - assume it is possible to put a cabin filter in an ambience Stepway (ie non AC) if only to stop the rubbish I get coming though during summer?

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Great guide - out of interest - assume it is possible to put a cabin filter in an ambience Stepway (ie non AC) if only to stop the rubbish I get coming though during summer?
I believe that you can fit a filter to a non AC car. ! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would my Steppy have a pollen/cabin filter? I know this may seem an odd question, but I have looked and there are no screws in it. I bought a new filter ready to replace it as there are lots of leaf remains flying at me as I drive.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Would my Steppy have a pollen/cabin filter? I know this may seem an odd question, but I have looked and there are no screws in it. I bought a new filter ready to replace it as there are lots of leaf remains flying at me as I drive.
The filters are only fitted to cars with Air Con !! :eek:

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,755 Posts
The air intake in the scuttle does have a wire grid inside so you may be able to modify your filter to use there or fashion a piece of foam rubber to keep the leaves out. See this topic on how to access the scuttle.

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/topic/30042-sandero-scuttle-exposed-how-the-footwells-flood/

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed my cabin filter the same but got my hair off trying to fit a 12inch filter into a 6inch hole I'm not sure if it expanded to how it should have but I ain't looking

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did cut out an area under the passenger side of the dash (in the footwell area) and fitted the cabin filter ! No problems ever since :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts