UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i first used it it did feel a bit flimsy and now when i park it on our drive which is fairly steep if i dont leave it in gear it slowly roles down! just looked in the book and it does say leave it in gear so is it normal? having allways parked my car without having to leave it in gear i was just wondering is this an suv type of 'problem' ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
its not amazing, it rolled back when parked in a queue on a hill on my first trip out, so now I pull it up that extra notch each time.

I always leave any car in gear when parked anyway out of habit.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
when i first used it it did feel a bit flimsy and now when i park it on our drive which is fairly steep if i dont leave it in gear it slowly roles down! just looked in the book and it does say leave it in gear so is it normal? having allways parked my car without having to leave it in gear i was just wondering is this an suv type of 'problem' ?
i agree with tiger, also the brakes are new must be run in a little bit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for replies,theres no more notches to go up im at the top and it still wont hold the car on my drive without leaving it in gear

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Get the dealer to check and adjust it m8. I also leave my car in gear when parked on a slope, though not in my own drive which is flat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Surely the point of a handbrake is to prevent the wheels effected from freely moving. Leaving it in gear is a precautionary measure if the handbrake slips not to assist in securing the vehicle as its failing even in the last notch. Go get it tightened before it flattens a child. Please

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Handbrake holds fine on level ground but on a slope it can be difficult getting the ratchet to engage high enough for the brake to hold the car. Eventually it holds. It may simply need adjustment but there may be a fault with the mechanism. Something to highlight when the first service comes around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Might just need the Handbrake cable tightening up at the Handle end, might be too slack. If parking on a hill, Even with Hand brake on and gear in opposite direction of vehicle facing downhill, I find parking facing down is better as you are then able to turn into the pavement and have the wheel driving into the curb, effectively using the cerb as a wheel chock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive booked it in for dealer to av a look,probably just needs adjusting but better to be safe than sorry as they say!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
thanx for replies,theres no more notches to go up im at the top and it still wont hold the car on my drive without leaving it in gear
Your hand brake requires adjustment, The hand brake should be fully on with few clicks left on the lever. This is called the levers "reserve travel" and I believe it is a MOT fail if you don't have any as the brake may not be applied if the lever hits its stop or limit of travel.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Tried mine today on a slope, 4 clicks and it held with plenty pull left on the handbrake.

Reactions: antavi

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
I've just taken another look at my Duster's handbrake.

The brake holds the car on a moderate incline on 6 clicks. However the ratchet does not click satisfactorily from 7 clicks onward, it doesn't feel as if the ratchet is engaging properly.

Therefore it seems to be a ratchet fault rather than poor adjustment.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
yeah but it could need some adjustment a few weeks later cause its new, and yours its an example for what colddacia said about the delivery service quality and responsability
My parents used to have a Lada Riva, my mother pulled the handbrake right off the floor once, ripped it clean off :lol:

Reactions: antavi
1 - 20 of 52 Posts