UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok I've had my reliable 11yr old Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI from 3yrs old and never owned a new car before. My current car has been ever so reliable only needing the usual wear and tear parts such as exhaust and tires replacing until last year when it decided it didnt want to start in the cold. I've replaced the battery and glowplugs and its still as stubborn as me, so I'm thinking its time to change before things start costing a fortune.

Now I test drove the petrol version in the summer, it was the only dealer within 50 miles of me and it was a dull red laureate version, which didn't look as shiny and new as it does in the pictures! I loved the laureate version though......the on board computer, bluetooth etc so that version is a must! However, they wouldn't let me take the car out on my own which mean't my hubby stayed with the kids and I felt pressured not to take too long. The guy who came with me had only just started working as a car dealer........as we pulled out of the garage i pointed out to him that there was next to no fuel......back to the garage to get the fuel card......got to the petrol stn and he didn't know if we were driving a petrol or diesel car......neither did I......I'm female and just wanted to test a stepway out....spent 10 mins trying to get in touch with someone at the garage! Anyway.... we eventually hit the duel carriage way and I said to the guy that the car doesn't have much of a kick to it.....pretty pants at overtaking.....I like to overtake as quick as possible....especially on A roads in case a fast car appears from no where on the opposite side. He said oh right.....I've never driven this car so I wouldn't know. It was nice and smooth to drive but I felt a bit deflated getting back to the garage; it wasn't quite what I expected from a brand new car. We went into the "Renault showroom" and asked a few questions on the timeline, how much we'd get for our car etc but there was no hard sell or real answering of our questions so we left and decided to leave it.

A few questions I'd like answering from experienced drivers:

• I've since realised there is an "eco" button in the car......could this be why there was no kick in the car when accelerating? Was it in eco mode and if so would I have noticed a real difference when overtaking/pulling out of a junction etc?
  • I commute 8 miles to work each day (8 miles back!); is petrol the best to go for? I've always thought diesel cars are better value for money and will last longer but I am but i'm beginning to wonder having read Dacia reviews. I do around 6000/7000 miles a year.
  • I know the review are good up to now but i really need it to last longer than the length of finance I intend to get on it which is 6yrs....is it worth getting the extended warranty and how much are services?
  • I don't do MPG.........how much is it to fill a tank and how many miles do you get out of it? At the minute it costs me £65/70 to fill my tank and I get just over 400 miles out of it.
  • Whats this gap insurance thing I've read....are there not many insurers that will insure the car and is insurance reasonable?
  • No spare tyre....what is that about? Is there somewhere to stick the one you have to buy? Dont want it taking precious boot space up when we go camping haha!!
  • I like the white.........is it a pain to keep clean though :p ?
  • What is breaking a new car in and so many revs or whatever until it reaches a certain distance about.....will i need to drive like a learner driver or something?

I know.......such dumb questions :( and if you've suffered my dumb post up until now and you're shaking your head in frustration.........sorry :blink: !

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Aaaaaaahhhhh questions! I've got the TCE in a logan, it's a bit gutless and Jerky when the engines new, eco mode is pretty worthless, it saps all the power, if you want all out speed the TCE will be the fastest, but the DCI will pull stronger, pick which engine you like, I'd go for DCI in Stepway as I think its heavier, although there's complaints of it being cold in winter, the TCE gets hot pretty quickly, you can specify a spare upon purchase, mines white and it's a pain to keep clean so I've given up, I can get 550 or bit more if I'm feeling brave from the 50 litre tank, think breaking in requires revs to be kept below 3000rpm for 800 then increase gradually until 1800 miles then do as you please, insurance is pretty low for a new car I think.
If you need alot of room the logan could be a better design for space, just depends on if you like estates.
Not sure about the gap, I know the dealers offer it for 300 pound, I didn't bother.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also have a Tce Logan, Carlos is spot on with his appraisal. On the insurance front I just got a new fully comp policy for £165 with 9 years protected no claims.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
GAP insurance works as follows -

You buy a car costing say £10,000 on finance and as soon as you drive it off the forecourt it becomes a second hand car worth say £7,000.

If it were then to be written off in an accident the insurer will only pay "current value", ie. £7,000, but you still owe the finance company £10,000 so you are £3000 out of pocket. Maybe the accident means you can't work for a while, but you still need to keep paying the finance.

So if you take out the extra GAP insurance, that covers you for the £3,000 loss in value.

Its optional, additional to, and not connected with Motor Insurance.

I didn't buy it.

If you are only driving 100 miles a week the extra cost of the diesel models will be a lot more than the saving on fuel. With your mileage you aren't going to wear out a petrol engine. Petrol would be more economical.

These days having to change a wheel is quite rare. Its been at least 25 years since I changed a wheel. So you save money, space and fuel by not having a spare. Instead you get a "tyre inflation kit" which is like an electric air pump which also pumps some gunk into the tyre to seal any holes. So if you get a nail in your tyre, you use the Tyre Inflation Kit to inflate it again so you can drive (more slowly) to a tyre fitter and get a replacement. If you had a spare you'd still need to buy a new tyre.

Of course it won't work if the tyre is badly damaged, but that is even rarer. You might prefer to take out breakdown insurance instead of (or as well as) having a spare. Then someone will come and fix it for you, and you are covered for lots of other things that could happen.

During the running in period the parts of the engine that move against each other, especially the pistons, bed themselves in and make a better fit. You are advised not to use high revs for long periods till it has run in. It doesn't mean you can never do high revs, just try to avoid it.

You can pay £489 which covers the first 3 years of servicing/36,000 miles or you can pay-as-you-go, but that may cost more in the long run. Standard Price seems to be £149 plus any parts needed.

It seems many salesmen can't be bothered selling Dacias, they would rather sell a Renault, they probably get more commission on the Renault, so they can be a bit disinterested if you want to buy a Dacia.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
im convincing u to try another dealer thats one

spare tyre is an option but the space for it is there........in it ull find a tyre spray to mend flats untill u reach tyre shop

eco is for town driving or long cruises and i ll sugest go for the diesel more power more torque

but go to another more dacia experience dealer ;)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
These days having to change a wheel is quite rare. Its been at least 25 years since I changed a wheel. So you save money, space and fuel by not having a spare. Instead you get a "tyre inflation kit" which is like an electric air pump which also pumps some gunk into the tyre to seal any holes. So if you get a nail in your tyre, you use the Tyre Inflation Kit to inflate it again so you can drive (more slowly) to a tyre fitter and get a replacement. If you had a spare you'd still need to buy a new tyre.
I had the same thought, only had to change a tyre once in my first 17 years of motoring, then earlier this year I picked up a nail in a B&Q carpark, spotted it same day and had the tyre fixed. 2 months later I picked up another nail (different tyre), next morning I had that fixed.

Both times I refused to use the sealant as I knew I'd need a new tyre (most tyre places won't clean then fix a tyre that has used sealant) but opted to have the tyre fixed as it was in the fixable location and the fix is perfectly safe.

When I bought my Stepway I opted for the spare wheel, purely because I'd rather run around on that for a few miles to get to my tyre repaired and then off with the spare and back on with the repaired tyre.

Having a puncture doesn't mean you have to buy a new tyre unless its punctured in a none repairable place (eg sidewall), its a gash rather than a simple small hole or you have used the sealant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's great, I've got a blue petrol Laureate, and the performance from a 900cc engine keeps surprising me. I'm quite often in North Cornelly, may see you around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great advice....thanks for all your replies.

I must be a little unlucky when i comes to tyres.......I've had to replace 5 in the last 10yrs due to random nails or sharp boulders trying to take me out on the duel carriage way :wacko:

So how much does it cost to fill the petrol tank and how many miles do you get out of it?

Saw a white duster today..........was pretty grubby but i still prefer the white......I've had a silver and red car before and i've heard the black is worse to keep clean......not sure about the blue, I think the white looks better!

I think I will go for another test drive but without the kids next time and get my hubby to come for a spin with me....see if i get some power and kick out of it! The nearest dealer after the one 45miles away is about 90/100 miles away :(

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have the 1.5 Dci 90hp engine and I get about 650 miles out of a tank full round town, 800 on a run, Dacia tanks are 50litrs. smiles per gallon is immense, they are impressive cars.

The ECO button destroys the performance so it stays off.

The longer you can run it in (break it in) the better it will be, some say don't bother with breaking in but my experience is that engines that are broken in gently perform better and last longer. Don't forget its not only the engine you are breaking in, gearbox, brakes suspension all need a little help at the beginning to enable them to last a long time. Suspension in particular on my Stepway took a long time to loosen up and hold onto the road.

I do have a full size spare because every time I have needed a spare there was not enough left of the original tyre to inflate - that was my question to the salesman:, "how do I use the inflator kit on a tyre without a sidewall?"

my passengers don't know if mine is petrol or diesel

the torque from the diesel is awesome.

My next car will be a Dacia

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would I ruin a diesel engine only doing 16 miles a day though (8 each way to work)? I only tend to do longer runs in the school holidays as the kids have various local activities/hobbies to attend on the weekend! I've had no issues whatsoever with my current diesel car but i'm guessing it doesnt have the part that clogs up if it doesnt get burnt off on a long run! 650 miles out of a tank is impressive as my tank is around the same size and i only get 400/420 out of mine! Think I'll deffo get a spare tyre.....last tyre i ruined was with a large stone on the duel carriage way and resulted in quite a gash!

How exactly do you break a new engine in......i dont understand revs etc LOL!! Do you just drive like a 90yr old for 900 miles or something and not hammer it on the motorway?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Would I ruin a diesel engine only doing 16 miles a day though (8 each way to work)? I only tend to do longer runs in the school holidays as the kids have various local activities/hobbies to attend on the weekend! I've had no issues whatsoever with my current diesel car but i'm guessing it doesnt have the part that clogs up if it doesnt get burnt off on a long run! 650 miles out of a tank is impressive as my tank is around the same size and i only get 400/420 out of mine! Think I'll deffo get a spare tyre.....last tyre i ruined was with a large stone on the duel carriage way and resulted in quite a gash!

How exactly do you break a new engine in......i dont understand revs etc LOL!! Do you just drive like a 90yr old for 900 miles or something and not hammer it on the motorway?
keep the revs between 1200 and 2000 - not an easy task - but too low and its not "reving freely" too high and the pistons could "pick up", the petrol engine with more RPM to play with will have a greater range, say 2000 - 4000, but in terms of road speed both are similar.

16 miles a day sounds OK, I do far less most days. the trick is to get the engine up to working temp - 8 miles should be enough.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

don't think you'll break it, 8 miles is about half of my journey to work, is the Picasso a 60ltr fuel tank?
The 2ltr hdi if in 90bhp is reliable due to its size, and lower output, ie it's not working so hard, at a guess I'd also say there's no dual mass flywheel in there to give problems, a guys got a mondeo at work with 180 something thousand on an 04 plate, it's noisy, but still functions, and has never failed to my knowledge.
The 1.5 DCI in 90 hp form should be able to withstand abuse, it's smaller yet more modern, and it's not pushing itself so hard as it would with higher output, but unless there's alot of queuing you'll never get it up to temp, well for much of the journey, which may be why your getting so little from your Picasso.
The 0.9 is as David said very free revving, sometimes it likes a little 4000 rpm and beyond acceleration, yet you don't realise because it's still pretty quiet. It's pretty fast at getting warmed up too, there's no temp gauge but warm air starts coming through earlier in my journey than it ever has, meaning it may match the cold DCI for mpg in your case.
Your not going to kill it not breaking it in, but it's supposed to make things a little easier for the engine in the long run, think of all the company cars on the road that have been driven so hard from brand new, they won't have been run in. You could leave it in eco to help you out a bit if your worried, it does say not to exceed 3000rpm on the petrol.
Have you decided on the petrol or the diesel yet? I know it's scary, when I did my first swap from diesel to petrol I had a 'what have I done!' wobble moment for a few minutes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
As an aside when I was involved in engine reconditioning we did see lots of engines from sales reps cars (all makes) and I mean lots, some of these hooligans got through 3 engines a year, 20,000 miles was a long way for some of them! What I can tell you is that owners (and sales reps) who did take the trouble to run their cars in didn't have engine problems and when you drive both types of drivers cars you can tell the difference. The abused engine is "ragged" slow acceleration and uses lots of all fluids the driver provides The properly run in engine delivers more power more smoothly without all the noise and all fluids stay where they are supposed be and it does it until the owner gets fed up with the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts