UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting the base model, which we know does not come with a stereo system.

Few questions:

I assume its the standard housing which has speakers wired, so we can put any stereo system in place. So is there a wiring diagram or block changer?

Anyone recommend a system that allows Bluetooth, iPhone and maybe even DAB?

Which model stereo comes with the higher spec vehicles?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Standard DIN system as far as I know. There's a fellow member selling a suitable system in the For Sale system here, worth a look to see if you're interested.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
The Access has a double-DIN space for a radio but that space contains 2 single-DIN cubbyholes. Therefore it looks as if removing either one or both cubbyholes accommodates either a single or double-DIN unit. There's wiring behind there but an adaptor may be needed.
The speaker grilles in the doors are easily prised off with a screwdriver. The front doors take 13cm speakers I believe, not sure about the rear doors. Again the wiring is already there.
Now all I'm waiting for is someone else to get hold of an Access, fit a stereo and guide us all through it. I don't want to be the guinea pig who breaks things by getting the installation wrong!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
double din you say? that will give you loads of options. Renaults were standard iso plugs as far as i remember so fingers crossed this will be the same. If you get a chance would you stick up a picture of the centre console please. either the trim will prise off (it is possible there may be a hidden screw or two, so i wouldnt just yank it) and allow you access to screws to release the pockets or the pockets should just pull out going by every other vehicle ive worked on. Where abouts in the country are you? If you are anywhere between Stirling and Bishopbriggs? If so id be happy to help you out.
Tony

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
P1010536 (810 x 1080).jpg P1010537 (1080 x 810).jpg
Photos of centre console and stylish whole dash.
I live in Sunderland so a bit far from Bishopbriggs. I used to go up there a lot but not now.
There are 2 soft plastic cubbyholes within the console as you can see. I don't think there are any hidden fixings, I suspect they just prise out but I'm not doing that just yet.
There is a plastic bar running across between the cubbyholes which might need cutting away for a double-DIN slot. However the whole of the trim around the cubbyholes might come away complete.
Hope these are useful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Ok. From what I've seen on the demonstrator at the weekend the silver trim may have to be popped off first if a pocket won't just pull out. The ambience had dacias radio installed and it is tailored to the shape of the silver trim and I suspect it was a bolt in unit as it had no release key slots on the from of it that I saw. If I decide to go for a duster I'd be interested in gettin my hands on the nav media touchscreen unit that the Stepway has. Look ideal.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Nice, a double din means we can fit something decent in there

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I wouldnt go as far as claiming to be a guru but i know my way around a ar system. Would you use any MP3 players? If so you could use one and have a cd head unit that has an aux in, a relatively cheap option with the potential of holding a lot more albums than a changer or you could get an Alpine head unit and auto changer, for example, but it could work out to be the more expensive option. Do you have a budget in mind?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks Ninecherries, my dealer reckoned £100 would get a reasonable radio/cd setup so i'm thinking £200 -£250 with a cd changer. Hope i'm not being optimistic for a half decent make!
Otherwise i will have to gen up on a mp3 player and go that route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone looked at the Dacia multi-media system as per the Owner Services section of the website ? Is it available in the Uk and any idea of cost fitted ?

I've got an Access model on order and want a Radio/MP3/Bluetooth/Sat-Nav system. As this is designed for the car I thought it would be ideal.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Thanks Ninecherries, my dealer reckoned £100 would get a reasonable radio/cd setup so i'm thinking £200 -£250 with a cd changer. Hope i'm not being optimistic for a half decent make!
Otherwise i will have to gen up on a mp3 player and go that route.
Have you browsed Halfords.com? Normally some cracking deals on there, for £250 you'll get a decent Sony / Pioneer / Kenwood / Alpine system.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Plenty of good systems on Halfords. It's the cd changer bit that'll complicate it. Much more of a selection on the mp3 side of things. Not as many options with changers. Normally a changer holds 6 discs (Sony used to do a 10 disc and jvc a 12 disc) but for comparison I'm sitting with 22 albums on my iphone (that's only using 3gb of my 16gb space). The potential amount if music you could have at your finger tips is awesome. I am also with the Three network and have an unlimited data allowance so I can listen to Internet radio too.

Have a look on halfords site at the Philips 310 (item 315280) iPod/iPhone or the Philips 305a (item 334729) for android. It's a radio, MP3 player and hands free kit all in one and you can use your phone as the touch screen for the radio, very nifty.

Ottoman:-
I really like the look of the media nav system it's a £250 option on the Sandero. But standard on the laureate Stepway that my wife is looking at. I've been told by my dealer he can't supply it as a spare for fitting to a duster. Don't know if that's true or not. I've not had a play with it but you seem to get a lot in the wee package, satnav, hands free and iPod/aux connectivity. Looks to me to be the correct shape for the new duster dash too but I can't guarantee that. More research required.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Well, I've started the process of installing a car stereo and speakers into the Access model Duster. I purchased a single DIN stereo unit a few months ago in anticipation of taking delivery of the car. This unit will do everything I want and more (radio, CD, SD card, aux socket, Bluetooth). It's connectors on the back are ISO type.
There are 2 flexible plastic cubbyholes in the centre console. I have removed both to facilitate fitting the stereo but will fit the unit in the upper slot and replace the lower cubbyhole later. These cubbyholes are relatively easily eased out when the plastic lugs just inside them and on the upper surface are prised down with a screwdriver.
The upper cubbyhole comes out with the wiring harness connectors inserted into slots in it and these are easily removed. The insert for the radio is a tight fit but eventually goes into place and the lugs can be bent to hold it. The radio can be fitted with a bolt which emerges from the back of it and this inserts into a slot at the back of the housing in the console. I intend to find a rubber sleeve of some sort to make this a snug fit.
Now to the wiring. Well, I could have wired into the existing harness the bare wires attached to ISO plugs provided with the radio. However this is tedious to do and leaves a lot of scope for error. I have therefore scoured the internet for a supplier of appropriate adaptors and it took hours I can tell you. I wanted to give the Renault dealer the chance to supply something, I really did but repeated phone calls to their parts dept. were unanswered.
You need 2 adaptors for an ISO radio, one for the aerial and one for the cables. Taking into account delivery, these on Ebay from Germany were the best value (assuming they arrive)!
http://cgi.ebay.fr/DACIA-DUSTER-LOGAN-SANDERO-u-RENAULT-TWINGO-Auto-Radio-Adapter-Adapterkabel-/200815818557?pt=Kabel_Stecker&hash=item2ec18e373d#ht_2819wt_1322
http://cgi.ebay.fr/DACIA-Duster-Logan-Sandero-Antennen-Adapter-Fakra-auf-DIN-150-Ohm-/190702239171?pt=Kabel_Stecker&hash=item2c66bd3dc3#ht_1640wt_1047

It might seem odd that they are listed on French Ebay, although coming from Germany but the postage seemed a lot less that way.
Now for the speakers. Well they are on order, so not yet fitted. The speaker grilles in front and rear doors prise off very easily from the top. Some foam padding needs to be removed and the wiring is easily found, with a convenient mounting for 13cm round speakers in all 4 doors. I won't know until the speakers arrive if the existing wiring will simply plug into them or if I need to cut the plugs off and solder the wires in place.
So, most of today was spent on this project but the job would have been a lot easier and quicker if I wasn't new to this installation and if the internet research had been done already.
Sorry but I haven't taken photos, too busy doing the job itself. I hope the system actually works after all this effort!

·
Registered
431 Posts
The 2 adaptors seem quite reasonable and look like they would be perfect from a Kenwood I have but the Aerial adaptor seems expensive, is there a way to adapt a regular aerial plug that would cost only a quid as it looks very similar to one I have???? Looks like it might

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
The 2 adaptors seem quite reasonable and look like they would be perfect from a Kenwood I have but the Aerial adaptor seems expensive, is there a way to adapt a regular aerial plug that would cost only a quid as it looks very similar to one I have???? Looks like it might
Although I might appear to know what I'm talking about regarding installation of car stereos, it has actually been a very steep learning curve. I have spent a day on the internet finding out about the various connectors.
What I'm really saying is that I've no idea how you might adapt an aerial plug. That's why I've ordered the fairly expensive one that I'm fairly confident will fit.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
The adapter pictured is a fakra to din aerial adapter. More and more vehicles are coming with the fakra fitting. Not sure of the benefit, other than the obvious of it being smaller and locks in place.

2DusterChris. Is the hole behind the radio app 10 to 13mm? If so I might have a spare rubber insert kicking about my bit box if you want it, It looks a bit like a wee top hat with a hole running through it.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
The adapter pictured is a fakra to din aerial adapter. More and more vehicles are coming with the fakra fitting. Not sure of the benefit, other than the obvious of it being smaller and locks in place.

2DusterChris. Is the hole behind the radio app 10 to 13mm? If so I might have a spare rubber insert kicking about my bit box if you want it, It looks a bit like a wee top hat with a hole running through it.
Yeah, that's what I called that aerial connector when I saw it. I said to myself, "where am I going to find a fakra like that?".
Thank you for the offer of the rubber insert. I'm having a bit of a break from radio fitting just now until the parts arrive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
fitted a Sony cd/radio to my access........cd playing ok...............but No radio stations being picked up? any ideas why that is?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts