UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

HELP!

Backstory! - Bought 14 plate Duster Laureate (White) new in march 2014, never seen any rust on it but because it was subject to the recall I let them take it and carry out the work. This concerned me as they were not very specific in detailing exactly the work carried out and also was it really rusting and I didn't see it? I decided to attempt to get a new car early and swop mine for a new European Duster. After not much haggling and great customer service from Dacia they agreed to discount a new car enough for me to change without extra payments.

You would not believe my luck!

Before signing for the finance agreement etc I went to view the car (Duster Laureate white!) and found it covered in industrial fall out which in turn has created small rust dots over the body work (Approx 30 spots), I'm gutted to say the least.

For some reason I received the V5 document through the post 5 days before I even went in to view the car or sign anything which I found odd. Do I own the vehicle even though I have signed no documentation, not even an order form?

I refused to take the car (not signed any paperwork), they want to try to polish out the spots but I'm reluctant to accept a car that was supposed to be a fresh start with no rust worries. I took my old Dusters V5 Document back and swopped the insurance back quickly. They are going to phone me Monday. How do i resolve this?

Any help would be much appreciated. Where do I stand and also is the bodywork fallout rust spots enough of a worry to refuse the car? I feel very deflated!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Hi all,

HELP!

Backstory! - Bought 14 plate Duster Laureate (White) new in march 2014, never seen any rust on it but because it was subject to the recall I let them take it and carry out the work. This concerned me as they were not very specific in detailing exactly the work carried out and also was it really rusting and I didn't see it? I decided to attempt to get a new car early and swop mine for a new European Duster. After not much haggling and great customer service from Dacia they agreed to discount a new car enough for me to change without extra payments.

You would not believe my luck!

Before signing for the finance agreement etc I went to view the car (Duster Laureate white!) and found it covered in industrial fall out which in turn has created small rust dots over the body work (Approx 30 spots), I'm gutted to say the least.

For some reason I received the V5 document through the post 5 days before I even went in to view the car or sign anything which I found odd. Do I own the vehicle even though I have signed no documentation, not even an order form?

I refused to take the car (not signed any paperwork), they want to try to polish out the spots but I'm reluctant to accept a car that was supposed to be a fresh start with no rust worries. I took my old Dusters V5 Document back and swopped the insurance back quickly. They are going to phone me Monday. How do i resolve this?

Any help would be much appreciated. Where do I stand and also is the bodywork fallout rust spots enough of a worry to refuse the car? I feel very deflated!

Thanks in advance.
Firstly are you sure its actually rust from the metal of the car, not just rust colour spots that have got onto the surface of the paintwork somehow, for instance has it been shipped on a rusty ship and been sitting under a rusty bit that has dripped onto the car.

If you have signed no paperwork you have ever right to tell them you are not willing to sign for it... Even if you had signed for it before seeing it you have every right to reject the car if it is not presented to you in a satisfactory standard.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If they're the tiny ones s little bigger than a pin head I think they are appear depending on the area you live in.
Despite being garaged my logan still gets them from time to time, I first blamed it on the chain in the garage, but still find them.
I also get them on my pvc window ledges.
They can only really be removed easily for me with blue tac, this works both on the car and on the windowsills.
But if they wanted you to buy the car i guess they should have removed them before letting you see it. :-o

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly are you sure its actually rust from the metal of the car, not just rust colour spots that have got onto the surface of the paintwork somehow, for instance has it been shipped on a rusty ship and been sitting under a rusty bit that has dripped onto the car.

If you have signed no paperwork you have ever right to tell them you are not willing to sign for it... Even if you had signed for it before seeing it you have every right to reject the car if it is not presented to you in a satisfactory standard.
Im not saying its rust from the metal of the car, its rust from environmental deposits that attach themselves to the surface of the paint during transport or whilst being sat around industrial areas waiting to be shipped. The deposits (The ones on this car I presume are metal deposits) attach themselves to the surface of the car then oxidise and leave a rust mark.

Not an expert but if these rust marks are attached to the surface of the car then surely the surface of the car is under attack chemically which is not good on a brand new car?

The deposits from close inspection didn't just sit on the surface of the car they were attached, I could see some had been cleaned and leave a sort of pit or black pin head size mark, this i presume is the deposit embedded in the surface just waiting to oxidise again?

From a little digging around the web it seems they are quite common on all cars but I guess from my perspective I don't want to drive a new car off the forecourt that looks like its rusting or even maybe under chemical attack.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Im not saying its rust from the metal of the car, its rust from environmental deposits that attach themselves to the surface of the paint during transport or whilst being sat around industrial areas waiting to be shipped. The deposits (The ones on this car I presume are metal deposits) attach themselves to the surface of the car then oxidise and leave a rust mark.
Not an expert but if these rust marks are attached to the surface of the car then surely the surface of the car is under attack chemically which is not good on a brand new car?
The deposits from close inspection didn't just sit on the surface of the car they were attached, I could see some had been cleaned and leave a sort of pit or black pin head size mark, this i presume is the deposit embedded in the surface just waiting to oxidise again?
From a little digging around the web it seems they are quite common on all cars but I guess from my perspective I don't want to drive a new car off the forecourt that looks like its rusting or even maybe under chemical attack.
if it's the same as mine I wouldn't worry too much. Once removed completely they don't appear to come back, I would imagine they are also on our other car, but it's dark red so probably hard to spot.
You are quite right, you don't expect a new car to be delivered like that, and it should be rectified completely.
I don't think polishing will remove as it's like you say imbedded.
I had a rather bad section over my roof and bonnet from a rusty garage door pulley chain and cog mechanism, obviously every time I opened and closed the door it received shards of iron which embedded into the bodywork.
The blue tac shifted it all and the chain was replaced with a nylon and plastic pulley, I still get odd spots though, but obviously none as bad as before.
If you feel like it'd enough for you to reject the car do it, the dealer has been lazy and no way should it be handed over like that, A new car should be in its best condition, not a mark on it.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
If you haven't signed anything it's not your car and if you're not happy then tell them to get you another one. of course it will mean waiting but if you're going to be more confident in the car it's worth it to you.

Failing that, tell them to go ahead and polish but you will not sign anything until it's been properly inspected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts