UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm a modern man, rather than changing an offside wheel in the pee'ing down rain in the dark with cars passing my backside at 70mph + I'd prefer to get the inflation kit working, get myself away from the danger area and get a new tyre fitted for £50

There are so many people killed changing punctured wheels/tyres on busy roads!

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App
Actually the kits don't work most of the time. Happy sitting next to a flat tyre on a wet night. lol Waiting for the AA to find a tyre.

·
Banned
30 Posts
read the instructions, only for holes 4mm dia and less. If you get a slight rip you will get stuck until someone can come to get you. 4mm is about the size of a 6" nail.

Or a screw. Watch the bbc video on post 1 click on the picture white arrow to get it going.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
apart from 4x4's the industry norm seems to supply either inflation kits...or donut wheels....

LOL

but you're not getting a Dacia anyhoo......so don't stress about it !

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with Bobcat, if it's P**sing down I sit in the car and wait for the man (or Woman) in the hi vis to show up and change the tyre for me. Thats why we pay for breakdown cover. If its dry i do it The last time the wife had a flat she drove 12 miles to work and back then told me it was flat. New tyre required that time. She has since been educated on how to call RAC to fix it ????

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Me thinks these hideous kits are just a cost cutting measure by the car companies and are of no benefit at all to motorists. Perhaps my sweeping statement steams from my one and only experience' messy half inflated tyre and a refusal to repair the grunge infested tyre by the local tyre fitter.

For me a full size spare is a must on my wish list of any future car purchase..

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
apart from 4x4's the industry norm seems to supply either inflation kits...or donut wheels....

LOL

but you're not getting a Dacia anyhoo......so don't stress about it !
The inflation kits are common to most makes, this is not a Dacia issue it is an interesting video. I can't make up my mind as to what to buy. Plenty of time. No stress I don't own a push bike lol did you see top gear?

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
In 30 years driving I've had one blow out where the side wall burst and numerous nails/screws and what not causing slow leaks. I've never yet managed to get a tyre fitter to agree that the tyre is savable. (nah sorry mate it's too close to the edge, there's a tiny rip...etc.) so it's always been a new tyre. Still I don't like the idea of getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere with only a 50 mile inflation kit to keep me going so I bought the spare and fitting kit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When bought my citreon it was supposed to have the inflation kit, but dealer put in a full size spare to seal the deal, i work up at a farm so poor mobile reception I would not want a blow out and only have an inflation kit. Thats what i like about the duster 4x4, might never get a blow out but would rather have a spare than walk up a field to get a signal for breakdown services.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Last time I changed a wheel was on my first car, a Datsun 120Y, around 1984.

However Dacia have a wonderfully flexible system. If you want a spare, you can buy one and a cradle to hold it, if you don't you get an inflator kit. You pays your money and you make your choice. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having had 4 punctures in 2years, and the mileage I do ( approx 25,000 a year, if I,m a long way from home at 8pm on a friday night as the last time was, ) Slap on the spare and go home, not crawl into somewhere withi nthe 50 miles and book a room, or as in one case of mine, spotted the flat in a garage, put the spare on which then decided it didnt want to play either, phoned the man and cos I was a bloke, safe in agarage with a McDonalds, didnt attend for 3.5hours. I was very low priority. and theres only so much coffee you can drink.
Now its both systems, gunk in the boot, spare wheel under the boot.

Sorted. .....oh and im a pregnant female parked in a dangerous spot from now on....hehe

Kim

·
Registered
116 Posts
The only flat I've had (3 years of mild motoring) was a 3-4 inch gash. I'd like to see an inflation kit fix that...

If you're on the hard-shoulder I wouldn't change a tyre or use an inflation kit. Much safer to go stand up the hard-shoulder and wait for the breakdown to pick you up.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
At work we operate a fleet of over 45 Mercedes E-Classes and Vianos, for the last 4 years they have only been supplied with inflation kits, unfortunately 95% of the time when we get flats it is because of sidewall damage, either debris or kerbs! :(

The latest hybrid cars that cost nearly £50,000 only come with a can of tyre squirt!

I was 'fast road' trained when I worked in the recovery business so if I have a puncture as far as I'm concerned it's time for the 'Knights of the Road' to do there stuff.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I added the spare for the 90 quid, seemed silly not to and I do a fair amount of travel.

If I ever had to use the inflation kit it would write off a tyre anyway.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also purchased a spare wheel when car was new (2013) and only realised this morning that no jack is supplied with the car so fat lot of use having a spare wheel and 6000 miles later. So worth checking if you have one in the boot. Off this afternoon to buy one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also purchased a spare wheel when car was new (2013) and only realised this morning that no jack is supplied with the car so fat lot of use having a spare wheel and 6000 miles later. So worth checking if you have one in the boot. Off this afternoon to buy one.
I believe they should have supplied you with a jack! They aren't expensive though, worth checking.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I've needed to use a spare wheel/tyre once in 17years motoring and I cover 12000 plus a year. Based on that average I'm more than happy with carrying a inflation kit. The way some people moan about it you'd swear dacia are the only company who supply these kits lol. The majority of new vehicles come with these kits so every manufacturer must sum up the pros and cons of it.

At least Dacia offer you the option of a spare wheel, other manufactures don't always !! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Go back to the dealer, you should have had a jack and wheel brace supplied with the spare wheel kit, I did with my Stepway !! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go back to the dealer, you should have had a jack and wheel brace supplied with the spare wheel kit, I did with my Stepway !! ;)
did'nt get a jack with mine in january only wheelbrace seemed odd, asked garage about it they said it was'nt supplied. have i been told porkies!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts