UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am looking for insurance for my coming Sandero. I have been driving for 17 years (Spain), but I've never had my own car, nor held any insurance nor appeared anywhere as registered driver, so...

fact 1: I don't have any proof for "no claims".

Two years ago I ran over a big animal causing severe damage to the car. The accident is not yet settled (slow Justice in Spain) but the claim was, give or take, 1600€. The holder of the insurance wasn't me and I wasn't registered as usual driver of the car. Nevertheless, the car was legally insured.

fact 2: I have never claimed anything to an insurer as I have never been nominally insured.

fact 3: I had an accident in last 5 years.

So now I invoke your wisdom :p :

When insurers ask about previous claims, should that accident be considered as a claim?

As "no claims" certificates from abroad insurers are no considered/accepted, I guess claims to abroad insurers are not within the question, are they?

Thank you!

(FYI Cheapest quotes I'm getting are around £700)

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
The thing about insurance companies is, if you don't tell them everything they might need to know they are quite happy to take your money. Then when you have a claim they say your insurance was not valid because you didn't tell them everything, they don't pay out and you get prosecuted for not having valid insurance! Seeing as you can be billed for things like Ambulances, repairs to the motorway, third party liability, it could get very expensive.

Don't they usually ask about accidents as well as claims? I think its safer to give them all the facts and then let them decide if its relevant or you risk having no insurance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you, I want to give them all the details they want to know so the insurance contract is properly stablished. Lying is absolutely pointless.

But I wouldn't want to pay more than I have to. I mean, if you told them that past year you had 10 accidents, they asked you £3000 and you paid it, the insurance would be still valid even if it you hadn't had any accident because you are paying for a 'riskier' driver.

Don't they usually ask about accidents as well as claims?
My doubt goes for those on-line insurances which ask information in an ambiguous way beacuse asking for insurance claims is not asking for accidents. Some pages ask for "any claim", others for "any accident even it wasn't your fault"... Biggest doubts come with things like this:

Question 'have you, or a registered driver, claimed anything in last 5 years?'

Answer: no, I have never held any insurance nor registered as driver as in Spain insurances works differently, but let's say yes because I had an accident.

Question 'was it your fault? Yes/No'

Answer: In my opinion, No, but it is an opinion!!! A judge is still deciding that! They usually spend 7-8 years to make a decision on the type of accident I had.

I don't know any other guy who had come to the UK having suffered an accident in last 5 years. All guys I know came here with certificates of No Claims (they were the insurance holders) and UK insurers denied the validity of those even when the certificate was signed by a company which operates both in the UK and Spain!

The winner bet is always asking for a quote in which I introduce myself as riskier driver than I actually am, but then I'd unnecesarily pay a lot! :unsure:

·
Registered
95 Posts
We normally ask if you've had any claims or accidents in the last 5 years, so the foreign accidents will count. The fault question comes down to whether you recovered all your claim costs from a third party's insurer or not. It's only a non-fault accident if the other side paid for everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts