UK Dacia Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'll need to take it back to a garage. The lack of new parts is a pain.
It would have been unfortunate to replace on motor with another broken the exact same way.
Cheers
I seriously suggest double checking you don't have faulty controls - Presumably the motor has a plug arrangement you can detach and you can get hold of a multimeter (borrow one or buy a cheapo).
First check all the pins for voltage coming from the car with the multimeter set to DC volts, negative lead to ground (engine/chassis).
Turn on the ignition/engine and have someone operate the wiper controls in turn while you test each of the pins for voltage and take notes - That should identify each pin is functioning as expected, the one where no power comes through will be ground.
You can then test for resistance on the corresponding ground pin on the motor for each of the pins for slow and fast, one will be higher resistance.

At least that way you will confirm you where the problem lies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a multimeter and of the five pins two were entirely dead. Taking one as earth suggests there is one which is problematic.

I followed it back to the fuse box under the bonnet as well, fuses are all grand but there appears to be one broken white wire. There are certainly two ends they look like they come from the same place and joining them didn't help. I'm reluctant to take anything apart in there for access in case something more critical gets broken!

All fun and games and it's fortunately rather sunny

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got a multimeter and of the five pins two were entirely dead. Taking one as earth suggests there is one which is problematic.

I followed it back to the fuse box under the bonnet as well, fuses are all grand but there appears to be one broken white wire. There are certainly two ends they look like they come from the same place and joining them didn't help. I'm reluctant to take anything apart in there for access in case something more critical gets broken!

All fun and games and it's fortunately rather sunny
Ok - I don't know the circuit but hopefully someone can chime in who does and can provide insight.
@Daedalus had suggested 4 wires would be expected previously, Fast, Slow, Single Sweep, Ground.
You have 5.
But to confirm what you did - Plug detached - You checked for voltage and found 3 lines go + on the car side when wipers were activated, presumably Fast, Slow, and Single sweep ? 2 gave nothing, but you confirmed the wiper switch fires 3 of them so that's ok.

With the plug detached, you can check for continuity to the motor casing on the 2 corresponding pins to the dead lines, one should be prove to be a direct short, viz ground/earth.
Measuring the resistance to the motor casing on the 3 corresponding pins which went + you should find two different resistances, the lower resistance should be high speed.
That should confirm your motor is fine.

Of your 5th mystery wire which you found broken, is it possible both ends were actually attached to a common terminal which provided constant power, and mechanically broke or blew ?

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,422 Posts
I suggested 4 as I assumed intermittent would use slow but it may have its own pin. The other option is 1 pin is unused or may be an extra ground..

There should be a permanent 12 V at least when the ignition is on for the home micro switch.

As to resistance the higher would be high speed - more turns in the motor winding or slow if a simple dropper resistor, more crude is being used.

It would be a lot easier if wiring diagrams were available

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Found this explanation of a generic 5 pin wiper motor. The home position switch is being wired externally. hope it gives you an idea of what's going on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I suggested 4 as I assumed intermittent would use slow but it may have its own pin. The other option is 1 pin is unused or may be an extra ground..

There should be a permanent 12 V at least when the ignition is on for the home micro switch.

As to resistance the higher would be high speed - more turns in the motor winding or slow if a simple dropper resistor, more crude is being used.

It would be a lot easier if wiring diagrams were available
Agreed on all - I assumed a ballast resistor instead of windings, but you should still still get 2 different resistances, which at least confirms 2 speeds are available on the motor.
If the motor checks out and the switch checks out, that only leaves that 5th wire as likely cause ?

If that 5th is an ignition source as featured in your follow up video, perhaps a splice to another IGN line can be made (assuming the original termination has failed)... Which then leaves a question over what the other wire was feeding, which @Dasgow8 assumed was a continuation - Washer motor ?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
According to the german forum for intermittent wipe the UCH provides a pulse to start the slow wipe it then completes on the home switch 12 V. You can here clicks one for the front wiper and another for rear when on intermittent which appear to come from the UCH and there appear to be relays soldered on the board.

Maybe the wire is providing a home position reached to the timer on the UCH as it is possible to install a 4 speed intermittent wiper stalk from a Clio IV and activate the software module with ddt4all.

Sicherungen, Relais und Anschlüsse der Zentralelektronik

Scroll down to GEN II

White module
C2 front wiper end position

21 - 27 of 27 Posts