UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 Duster diesel with. 11500 miles on the clock. Engine seems to take a long whole to warm up and never gets past 2 bars on the temperature indicator. Is this normal ? Seems to take forever to get cabin any where near warm

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
2 bars is average for me.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Just bought a 2013 Duster diesel with. 11500 miles on the clock. Engine seems to take a long whole to warm up and never gets past 2 bars on the temperature indicator. Is this normal ? Seems to take forever to get cabin any where near warm
Its winter, same discussions last year. Diesel dusters take an age to warm up, when its really cold mine can take 7+ miles @ 60+ before anything can be felt from the heater. This year I have found that i can reduce the time taken to about 4 - 5 miles using lower gears and keeping the revs above 3,000 as much as possible.

"They all do that mate" is all the garages say.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My Megane with the same engine wasn't quick to warm up either. On my current (small diesel) car it takes 15 miles to come up to ordinary running temp! Back to the Mk 1 gloves and woolly hat then!

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
When I've used an OBDII reader and app to read the data it has told me that the engine has reached operating temperature after a mile or so, and the temp gauge is still showing 2 bars.

I think its just that the heater isn't that efficient.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Its winter, same discussions last year. Diesel dusters take an age to warm up, when its really cold mine can take 7+ miles @ 60+ before anything can be felt from the heater. This year I have found that i can reduce the time taken to about 4 - 5 miles using lower gears and keeping the revs above 3,000 as much as possible.

"They all do that mate" is all the garages say.
They do that in the Renault Garage in Northampton " they all do that, same as the one in the car park/garage" stopped using them.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
HA ha ha, and they just called me to check I was happy with my car. Richard Sanders Renault what a shower of sh1te you are.

Them "Hello this is a cock from Richard Sanders I was ringing about the Dacia you bought 18 months ago, do you still own the car"

Me "Yes unfortunately"

Them "Why unfortunately have you had some problems with the car"

Me "Yes it's a bag of rusty old sh1te, which is currently being repaired"

Them "Ah yes I had heard about a rust issue, but we haven't seen it here"

Me "yes you have as my car has been into your place many times"

Them "Erm well I haven't seen it"

Them "but have you had any other problems?"

Me "er yes, due the rear axle not being aligned properly the car won't run in a straight line"

Them "well if there's anything else we can help you with in the future?"

Me "Not a chance, goodbye"

·
Registered
465 Posts
Richard Sanders don't have a clue, its always we can't find anything after having the car in for 1-2 days and they never have a courtesy car. Finish up taking it another garage to get it fixed. More pain

·
Registered
183 Posts
2 bars is normal.I have done 23,000 miles and it has gone above 2 bars once.In a 10 mile standing queue on the M1 J24 at the height of summer.

I dont want to see 4 bars on mine thanks.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
Some diesel cars take an age to heat up in the winter. Why not consider blocking off part or all of the lower grille to restrict the amount of cold air getting into the engine and, after the thermostat has opened, keeping the engine temperature up.

It worked in the good old days!

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Yeah I get 4 bars on the motorway, especially towing the caravan. It only goes up in twos.

Could be worse, you could be one of those on the hard shoulder with the bonnet up and steam coming out in the summer!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
two bars too often, but once it gets to four bars you can actually feel the heater throwing out some proper heat.

Rev's high, speed low, best way to get that warmth coming through.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Official line from the Technical Services Manager at Renault UK is that 4 bars is the 'normal running temperature' and that these are running cold in winter - I have it in writing - what they intend to do about it I have no idea though.

Mine runs this cold and the heater is pretty pathetic.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts