UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any top tips for keeping the leather trimmed steering wheel and gearnob in top condition, as I plan to keep my Stepway Tce90 for at least 10 years?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Cover the steering wheel with an aftermarket cover, buy an aftermarket gear knob. WHY? for my sins I wear a wedding ring, the LHS of the steering wheel wears out at an alarming rate, the only solution I have every found is another cover or wear driving gloves. A bit perverse as its the next owner that get the "as new" steering wheel!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the leather feel, so I won't be covering it. But thanks for the ring tip. I'll keep a careful watch on that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can tell the life of a car by looking at the wear & tear on the steering wheel, gear knob and seats. So its worth investing in items to cover these.

·
Registered
234 Posts
After forking out for a leather steering wheel, why on earth would anyone cover it up with a cheapo wheel cover? You might as well not have bothered and spent the money elsewhere. Having got that off my chest, one good tip is not to let it sit in bright sunlight for long periods of time because it dries the leather and forms small crack. These cracks then go on to catch your rings and the situation is worsened. One thing people here in Spain do in the summer is to drape something like a bar towel over the steering wheel when the car is to be left all day in the sun.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the basic steerwheei on my found it ( how can i put it ) a bit thin to grip so put my old steering wheel cover on didn't look right brown, i then bought a black and white leather cover just basically for comfort and goes with car white steepy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've settled on treating it every two weeks with Wilko Leather Nourishing Cream, which I let sink in for 5 minutes. It makes the feel a bit nicer. As for wear and tear . . . What will be will be!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts