UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into Lidl on the way home for some milk and somehow got some roof bars for £25. I asked if I could bring them back if they did not fit and was told yes - so I got a pair. I tried them and they do fit but maybe not as well as a pair that are made specifically to suit the shape of the rail. There is a small claw that tightens against the rail. I can't say I would like to risk them with a heavy load or something that might jolt them off, but at normal speed they should be ok. All I need now is something to move!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I see what they said. I noticed the comment about the fit which is similar to what I was thinking about them fitting but not as well as purpose built ones. Still for occasional use with light loads they should be ok. If I was transporting things over a distance regularly I would buy better ones.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
I bought the Lidl roof bars long before I took delivery of my Duster.

Although they do not exactly fit the contour of the roof rails, they seem to grip well.

I use these bars to carry my mountain bike. As it is mounted in an upright position it exerts quite a strong lateral force on the bars but they have remained secure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The roof bars that came with my touring pack aren't purpose built for the dusty they're just normal run of the mill can't see as the cheep ones wouldn't do just as good a job

·
Registered
236 Posts
After much research and decision making I decided to get this from www.roofbox.co.uk They have a terrific website with more info than you can deal with, so I rang them up (at 8:30 on an evening) and they could'nt have been more helpful. Gave me all the advice I needed. This is a Kamei Husky roof box mounted on Thule wing bars. I have had it on the roof now for two days and don't even know its there. Not a sound! Off to Scotland with it in a weeks time so its staying on there now. Also got a free garage ceiling hoist to store it. Can wholeheartedly recommend the company, service is excellent. OK nowhere near as cheap as Lidl but somethings are worth that bit extra for quality.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Looks a nice set up, be careful that you don't forget they are there, and drive under a Car Park height limit Bar.

I saw some one in a Freelander do that once, the results were not pretty....... :huh:

Reactions: DatzaDusta

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Apparently roof bars alone will add up to 15% to fuel consumption. However with a well designed roof box this is reduced to almost nothing. The same goes for noise.

So take 'em off when you are not using them, for the benefit of your pocket and the environment.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
The aero bars I bought from Halfords cost about a mile per gallon by my estimation the Thule wing bars should in theory be better. The old square bars on the Panda made a very noticable difference to the fuel consumption though I never measured it.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
the lidl ones are great much chunkier than i thort and lockable with keys. took 2mins to put on, able to tie ropes etc and sturdy and robust. cost £26, bargain, halfords ones look thinner and cost £85, go outdoors do some for £55 but don't know if they fit. the lidl ones were up to task, and Will last years, and are silvery silver , i recommend them. lidl in granton in Edinburgh had 6 sets Fri eve. :D

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
confirm that D & M, Lidl Bars more than adequate, Bargain. Duster is listed on the packaging as well. :D

:) :) :) :)

Reactions: Dusterdly & Muttley

·
Registered
230 Posts
i went with thule for my rack as they support upto 100KG which is the max the rails can.

with whith a second hand 775 foot pack off ebay then some new 763 bars from http://www.evanscycles.com/products/thule/763-rapid-system-150cm-roof-bars-ec017968

i extended the slots on the bars to accomodate the narrower width of the rail spacing on the duster. you dont need to mod the bars if you go for the 761's but i wanted 150cm bars not 120cm so i can fit 2/3 kayaks and a roof tent :)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Product Name: Roof Bars by Brillo

Bought From: Lidl in Granton, Edinburgh

Paid: £26:99

Rating: 5

Roof bars....not my normal topic of conversation.....but here goes !!!!! LOL !!! :D

There are many roof bars out there, but I decided to buy the Lidl ones.

Ultimate Speed 120cm Car Roof Bars

I must admit that the cost of them was a serious consideration.

My first port of call was Halfords, where the ones on offer are £85. The information they have does not include the Duster, and they had to "put them together" first. If they subsequently fit, you are obliged to buy them...an expensive mistake if you don't like them.

Thule (from Halfords) are £115 up to £209 depending on your choice and neither include a roof box (that is extra) so expensive but if you want a roof box or car-tent, or such, then these have the best load capacity.

The Dacia ones are just over £81 from Karl, plus postage, so for me that would take them nearer to £95, and I'm really not going to use them that often...so seemed really expensive, but again...it depends on how you are going to use them.

Ones from Go Outdoors are £55 with a discount card (an additional £5 per year to get the price).....mentioned for thoroughness.

The Lidl ones are made by Brillo (on the packaging) and mention that they fit the Duster on the packaging.

They come ready assembled, and there is no need to do anything other than read the instructions on how to fit them.

One side is moveable and slides up and down the bar, the other is fixed.

You place the fixed end on on side bar, and then turn the allen key (supplied) in the hole to slide the other side to fit the bar on the other side. And then tighten it to fit....that simple.

You can place them at any position on the Dusters fitted roof bars. Front, middle rear, or inbetween depending on what you are moving.

They don't "perfectly" fit the profile of the bar, only the Dacia ones will do that....but they do go all the way round and fit it like a clamp...and then you tighten them...and then they don't budge.

Its as if they designed them for the Duster really, they are really good......

Once you are happy with them....you lock them with a proper key and everything ...YAY

Other features mentioned by Lidl on their website are :

• Ideal for attaching roof boxes, cycle racks or ski racks (not supplied)
  • Bars made from non slip anodised aluminium
  • Lockable - includes 2 keys
  • Maximum weight 90kg. Fits most standard car models (please check packaging)....Duster is on the packet
  • 3 year guarantee, price per pack

The website says £27.99 but I paid £26.99 at the store, on the 20th July 2013.

Oh and with rope and some serious knotts.....transported a 6x6 fence panel over 25 miles and over the Forth Road Bridge.

As pictured.

They are superb, and I'm sure will pretty much carry everything you need.

Hope this helps folks

DM x

the Lidl webiste

http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3B6EC707-864832B0/lidl_ni_ie/hs.xsl/index_31029.htm

1 - 20 of 125 Posts