UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here is some info from the Dusters manual which will help you to decide if you need a 4x4 or a 2x4 regarding the Dusters towing capacity

If your going to tow a caravan the extra nose weight of the 4x4 may be the deciding factor. It also recommends that if you have a 4x4 model to switch the dial to 4x4 auto to optimise the road holding when you are towing.

1.6 petrol 2x4

max unbraked trailer 615kg

Max braked trailer 1200kg

max nose weight 50kg

1.6 Petrol 4x4

max unbraked trailer 660kg

Max braked trailer 1500kg

max nose weight 75kg

1.5dci 2x4

max unbraked trailer 625kg (the brochure states 640kg?)

Max braked trailer 1200kg

max nose weight 50kg

1.5dci 4x4

max unbraked trailer 680kg

Max braked trailer 1500kg

max nose weight 75kg

The tyres pressure also have to be increased when towing by 0.2br or 3psi, so it will go from 29psi to 32psi or 2.0br to 2.2br.

I will be taking my caravan out very soon, I will let you know how the 4x4 dci Duster handles :)

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Good to hear :)

I need to do some serious weighing, I've got a car I want to tow to do trackdays in, 1500kg is very close to the limit I think. All depends what trailer I get!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did my maiden caravan journey with my 4x4 1.5dci Duster last week to North Yorkshire. The caravan I was tugging is my Eriba Familia 320 with a MTPLM weight of 900kg which is well within the Dusters towing capacity.

I found that using the low 1st gear was useful when setting off, also as the manual recommends then dial is set to 4x4 auto. The stability and low end power was great and I found it very easy to get up to the max of 60mph on the motorways, even going up hill the Duster was able to accelerate with bags of torque. I managed to get the traction control to kick in when I was in a gravel lay-by that was on a gradient when I was setting off.

All in all I was very impressed with the car, it gave me extra confidence with a very relaxed comfortable journey :)

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure that if you fit a tow bar that you inform your insurance company, a lot of them will class it as a modification. Churchill do although they do not charge to amend the policy.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Same with the RAC who I'm with, no cost but had to inform them, they also class my reversing sensor as a mod, so added that at the same time! They charged me to change the policy though :(

Reactions: arob.wk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just been on the website whatcar to see what caravan I could tow with the duster & it keeps telling me they're all to heavy but all within the weights that dacia quote

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I did my maiden caravan journey with my 4x4 1.5dci Duster last week to North Yorkshire. The caravan I was tugging is my Eriba Familia 320 with a MTPLM weight of 900kg which is well within the Dusters towing capacity.

I found that using the low 1st gear was useful when setting off, also as the manual recommends then dial is set to 4x4 auto. The stability and low end power was great and I found it very easy to get up to the max of 60mph on the motorways, even going up hill the Duster was able to accelerate with bags of torque. I managed to get the traction control to kick in when I was in a gravel lay-by that was on a gradient when I was setting off.

All in all I was very impressed with the car, it gave me extra confidence with a very relaxed comfortable journey :)
Duster. I seem to recall you've posted pics before (or maybe someone has the same van). What vintage is the Eriba Familia 320 please?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duster. I seem to recall you've posted pics before (or maybe someone has the same van). What vintage is the Eriba Familia 320 please?
Its a 2012 model, they haven't really changed the design very much in the last 40 years,

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just been on the website whatcar to see what caravan I could tow with the duster & it keeps telling me they're all to heavy but all within the weights that dacia quote
The Dacia towing weights are a bit confusing as it it is using the gross train weight. Basically the rule is that the caravan/trailer should not weigh more than 85% of the cars kerb weight MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass). What you do not want is the caravan heavier than the car otherwise you will be in trouble with the car been pushed down a hill or pulled backwards, also the torque and bhp will be a factor to make life more comfortable and stress free. You can in theory tow up to 100% of the cars kerb weight, however this is generally discouraged and only for the very experienced.

Dacia don't include the driver as part of the kerb weight and most manufactures do so the rule of thumb is to add an extra 75kg.

I have worked out the MTPLM for each model, the what tow car link above will also work all this out for you and whether the car has enough engine power.

My caravans MTPLM is 900kg so it is well within the 4x4 diesels weight limit, I would say the dusters are more for the lightweight end of the caravans, such as the Eldis xplor range and lunar models, there are plenty out there to choose once you know what weight to look for.

Dacia Duster MTPLM caravan matches:

4x2 petrol

kerb weight is 1160kg+75kg= 1235kg

85%= 1049.75kg MTPLM

4x4 petrol

kerb weight is 1250kg+75kg= 1325kg

85%= 1126.25kg MTPLM

4x2 Diesel

kerb weight is 1205kg+75kg= 1280kg

85%= 1088kg MTPLM

4x4 Diesel

kerb weight is 1294kg+75kg= 1369kg

85%= 1163.64kg

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Its a 2012 model, they haven't really changed the design very much in the last 40 years,
2012 eh? My goodness - v cool. B)

In passing - can anyone tell me why any manufacturer would name a a caravan "Marauder". What were they thinking? Makes me laugh every-time I see one. (And if you own one - I apologise - I'm sure you didn't chose it for it's name!) :)

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
That's a damned fine colour of car you have there :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are thinking about tugging a caravan with your Duster here is a good review from the Practical caravan Magazine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All that stuff about 85% of tow vehicle etc is rubbish. It's a good general guide but if you tow up to the 1500kg there will be no issues and the Duster will do it fine. If the book says 100k that's because that is what the suspension and brakes and drive train can handle including a fully laden vehicle. I have towed a full car with roof box and full trailer. It tows fine and really good for a small engine and as good as my old freelander. If you believe the 85% rule why can a 2 ton defender or discovery tow 3.5 ton? Obviously don't go over the permitted weights and adjust driving style based on the weight behind you. Allow longer stopping distances and nd use 4wd auto if you have it and 1st gear to pull away

·
Registered
10 Posts
All that stuff about 85% of tow vehicle etc is rubbish. It's a good general guide but if you tow up to the 1500kg there will be no issues and the Duster will do it fine. If the book says 100k that's because that is what the suspension and brakes and drive train can handle including a fully laden vehicle. I have towed a full car with roof box and full trailer. It tows fine and really good for a small engine and as good as my old freelander. If you believe the 85% rule why can a 2 ton defender or discovery tow 3.5 ton? Obviously don't go over the permitted weights and adjust driving style based on the weight behind you. Allow longer stopping distances and nd use 4wd auto if you have it and 1st gear to pull away
I agree, I have pulled our caravan ABI Jubilee and it is on the line of 1500kg, the Duster pulled it just as good if not better that the Ford Maverick we had. Also we were pulling off other 4X4's off the field we were staying on. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts