1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Any advice on following welcome from any owners in Daciasphere,

Bought my Logan 1.5 dci in August.

Three weeks ago the coolant was down way past minimum after 1,500 miles - dealer topped up, and I thought maybe factory delivered it that way. Gave benefit of doubt.

It was then topped up to the max., ie 3/4 of way up coolant container.

Dealer said keep an eye on it.

Just checked coolant today.

Coolant dropped to half way after another 1,000 miles.

I do motorway driving, but not hard and don't push it.

HAVE I A DUD ?

Any advice please.

Last car was Mini Cooper with a coolant problem - cost a fortune.

That's why I came back to Renault.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My tce uses a bit, think I've put about a half a litre in, but that was mostly due to it only being near min when I got it and I've topped up once since ,no more than any other new engine though, this is the first new engine I've not had to top the oil up on, its normal to loose some I think as even our older car needs topping up every now and then with coolant.
I think if its using that much there is a problem, but with the amount of pressure in there, a small leak soon turns into a very big one when hot. Best bets to stick some cardboard under after running it hot and check in a few hours.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Have emailed the salesman I bought the Logan from.

Have a feeling they'll ask me to take a seat while they pressure test and tell me to keep an eye on it.

What mechanic wants to deal with this one ???

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Let the dealer have it, the quicker you flag it up the better. Coolant should not need topping up - monitoring yes topping up NO.

But let's not be too quick to think the worst. Its not unusual for the coolant level to drop in the expansion tank as air trapped in the system finds its way there when the car is new. Obviously if it keeps dropping then there is a problem. My 1.5DcI has now covered 11,000 miles and I've not had to top up the coolant or the oil, the oil level is going towards the low mark on the dipstick but it wont get there before the annual service is due, I would be more concerned if it didn't use some oil but coolant should be there for ever.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for that I know you mean well, but I used to make diesel engines and ran a main dealer truck workshop for a few years and then an engine reconditioning shop, trust me, keeping the oil level between max and min while keeping an eye on it is fine. With a diesel I am more concerned if the oil level rises, google fiat mutlijet oil depletion to find out why - the Renault doesn't/shouldnt have those problems. For another engine with problems waiting to happen investigate the fuel system on the 1.2 VW diesel - I would call it a contraption.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
My experience is of petrol-engined Dacias, a 1.6 Duster, a 1.2 Sandero and a 0.9 Logan MCV, all owned from new.

They all had a modest drop in the coolant level in the first few thousand miles which then stabilised.

However a cooling system pressure test would be a good idea to either find any leak or set your mind at rest.

Regarding running an engine with the oil level between max and min. There's nothing wrong with doing it but why make the lesser volume of oil left work harder in its cooling and lubricating roles when it's so easy to top the level up to max?

·
Registered
517 Posts
are you guys seriously suggesting you top up the oil when level drops 3mm? that's what I am talking about . . . . . . .

and as for making the oil work harder, in the winter if all you do is short journeys the smart operator will run with the oil level at the minimum because that way the engine will heat up quicker and last longer - but after 50 years playing with engines in trucks, cars, boats, generators and even hover craft what do I know?

·
Registered
269 Posts
After reading this I checked my coolant when cold on my tce90 and it was on the minimum line. Went to dealer and the service manager said it was ok. But after a discussion he agreed to top it up. In the corner I noticed a box and parcel bearing the logo Renault Parts.
But I quickly resumed watching him do the top up and drove the 15km home. On arrival I got a text saying my side door protectors and textile mats had arrived from Renault Parts and would I collect asap.It was me steaming at that point, not the coolant!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
After reading this I checked my coolant when cold on my tce90 and it was on the minimum line. Went to dealer and the service manager said it was ok. But after a discussion he agreed to top it up. In the corner I noticed a box and parcel bearing the logo Renault Parts.
But I quickly resumed watching him do the top up and drove the 15km home. On arrival I got a text saying my side door protectors and textile mats had arrived from Renault Parts and would I collect asap.It was me steaming at that point, not the coolant!
it is ok on minimum, but its probably been like that since new, I checked mine and it was on min when I went to collect it, and insisted they top it up, they only topped it to half! In the end when I went back for a paint check they gave me a bottle for me to do it myself.
I just keep it just above halfway now.
I've topped it up twice so far myself in total.

Sent from my Blade using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
it is ok on minimum, but its probably been like that since new, I checked mine and it was on min when I went to collect it, and insisted they top it up, they only topped it to half! In the end when I went back for a paint check they gave me a bottle for me to do it myself.
I just keep it just above halfway now.
I've topped it up twice so far myself in total.

Sent from my Blade using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app
It must be one of the cost cutting exercises, only put a minimum amount of coolant in ?

I bought a 5 litre can of green/yellow Renault coolant and topped mine up months ago and it's still on MAX ! ;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It must be one of the cost cutting exercises, only put a minimum amount of coolant in ?
I bought a 5 litre can of green/yellow Renault coolant and topped mine up months ago and it's still on MAX ! ;)
I got mine free for nagging, maybe its the heat of the tce that Burns it quicker, I'm getting warm air a damn sight quicker than with any other car I've owned.... which is nice at 4 in morning :D

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
What's an update on this issue? Are those losing fluid still losing it? Have any new owners noticed this?
I think that it's just a case of 'settling'. Air is being dispelled when it is pumped around the cooling and heater circuits and the level drops to 'min' you top it up to 'max' once and there it stays !! ;)

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I think that it's just a case of 'settling'. Air is being dispelled when it is pumped around the cooling and heater circuits and the level drops to 'min' you top it up to 'max' once and there it stays !! ;)
Agree topped mine up to max.Still OK,not dropped at all.Same with oil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts