UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be interesting for others if I blog about my experiences with the new Logan, so here goes....

First of all, why a Logan? I am a keen angler and need space for my gear mainly and I also wanted the economy, I previously owned a Renault Kangoo van (1.5dci). With the van I was getting a bit tired of paying £235 a year car tax and only getting 40mpg on average and also I got tired of explaining to people that although I have a office based profession, I chose to drive what looks like a builders van just for my weekend fishing trips. That being said, the van was lovely to drive and I racked up nearly 60k miles in just 30 months with no instance of discomfort or unreliablility.

So what are my impressions of the Logan? I pretty much knew what to expect with my previous vehicle sharing many parts and features with it. At this point I have only covered 300 odd miles in the Logan but some positives I have noted are:-

The general quality of the interior. Yes it is cheap and very plastic as many in the car press have commented but it is extremely solid and no sign of creaks and rattles like you get in Ford cars (which cost nearly double). It all looks pretty attractive allbeit basic in my opinion, it kind of reminds me of a basic spec german car from the early 90's.

The engine pulls like a train and the gear ratios mean it feels relaxed and smooth at low revs which should deliver excellent fuel economy and longevity of the engine/turbo. At 70mph everything is fairly quiet and surprisingly refined.

The stereo. I didn't go for medianav just because it would have delayed delivery by 2 months! The basic cd/radio/bluetooth unit is still very good and allows you to stream music from your phone wirelessly. I tend to use my phone for sat nav anyway. The sound from the speakers is quite rich and crisp and drowns out any wind/road/engine noise easiliy.

Exterior appearance. I liked it to begin with and it has continued to grow on me.

Now the negatives/niggles:-

The steering wheel was wonky when I collected it. (although this was corrected by my the dealer very quickly)

The ride is a bit crashy, probably to be expected with a comparatively light car but I have noticed pot holes on my commute to work that I never knew existed in the van.

The gear change is a bit notchy.

The above are very minor things that are me trying to be picky. On the whole the car does what it says on the tin and my purchasing/ownership experience has been entirely positive thus far. I will update on this thread as time goes on and the mileage gets clocked up.

For info my car history is below so you can see the context of what I have judged the Logan against.

Renault Kangoo Van 1.5dci (from new)

Seat Exeo 2.0tdi (from nearly new)

Seat Ibiza 1.2tdi (from new)

Toyota Corolla 1.4 vvti (old banger) + several company vans

Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 (from new)

BMW 316d (2nd hand)

Ford Ka 1.3 (from new)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick addition the the post above, I thought I would list some of the things I have bought for the Logan:

1.) A bonnet seal as advocated by Nessi, see here http://www.daciaforu...-modifications/

2.) Logan specific car mats off ebay, I think they were £13! - Bargain

3.) Window tints in dark smoke, cost £190 but a very good quality job by Executive Tints of Burton upon Trent.

4.) Wind deflectors for the windows, I like to be able to open the window a crack without letting rain in. -£30 ebay

5.) A Rhino custom boot liner - http://rhinoukbootlinersltd.co.uk/ I think mine was around £100 with a rear bumper protecting flap. Highly recommended for anglers, golfers, mountain bikers, dog owners.

6.) Armor all shield paint sealant. (giving it a try will report back with results)

I will post back with some photos of everything when I get a minute.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I thought it might be interesting for others if I blog about my experiences with the new Logan, so here goes....

First of all, why a Logan? I am a keen angler and need space for my gear mainly and I also wanted the economy, I previously owned a Renault Kangoo van (1.5dci). With the van I was getting a bit tired of paying £235 a year car tax and only getting 40mpg on average and also I got tired of explaining to people that although I have a office based profession, I chose to drive what looks like a builders van just for my weekend fishing trips. That being said, the van was lovely to drive and I racked up nearly 60k miles in just 30 months with no instance of discomfort or unreliablility.

So what are my impressions of the Logan? I pretty much knew what to expect with my previous vehicle sharing many parts and features with it. At this point I have only covered 300 odd miles in the Logan but some positives I have noted are:-

The general quality of the interior. Yes it is cheap and very plastic as many in the car press have commented but it is extremely solid and no sign of creaks and rattles like you get in Ford cars (which cost nearly double). It all looks pretty attractive allbeit basic in my opinion, it kind of reminds me of a basic spec german car from the early 90's.

The engine pulls like a train and the gear ratios mean it feels relaxed and smooth at low revs which should deliver excellent fuel economy and longevity of the engine/turbo. At 70mph everything is fairly quiet and surprisingly refined.

The stereo. I didn't go for medianav just because it would have delayed delivery by 2 months! The basic cd/radio/bluetooth unit is still very good and allows you to stream music from your phone wirelessly. I tend to use my phone for sat nav anyway. The sound from the speakers is quite rich and crisp and drowns out any wind/road/engine noise easiliy.

Exterior appearance. I liked it to begin with and it has continued to grow on me.

Now the negatives/niggles:-

The steering wheel was wonky when I collected it. (although this was corrected by my the dealer very quickly)

The ride is a bit crashy, probably to be expected with a comparatively light car but I have noticed pot holes on my commute to work that I never knew existed in the van.

The gear change is a bit notchy.

The above are very minor things that are me trying to be picky. On the whole the car does what it says on the tin and my purchasing/ownership experience has been entirely positive thus far. I will update on this thread as time goes on and the mileage gets clocked up.

For info my car history is below so you can see the context of what I have judged the Logan against.

Renault Kangoo Van 1.5dci (from new)

Seat Exeo 2.0tdi (from nearly new)

Seat Ibiza 1.2tdi (from new)

Toyota Corolla 1.4 vvti (old banger) + several company vans

Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 (from new)

BMW 316d (2nd hand)

Ford Ka 1.3 (from new)
Thank you for this nice, balanced review - posts like this are invaluable to those of us weighing up the pros and cons.

Any car purchase throws up its own positives and negatives, and some ticks in the minus box are to be expected with what is essentially a 'budget' brand. The critical thing is whether or not they are significant enough to cancel-out the VFM factor implicit in the low purchase price; in other words, are you really getting a bargain, or are you simply getting what you paid for? On the basis of this review (and many others), the negatives are remarkably few and minor. The Logan really does seem to be that rare thing, a genuine, good value, does-what-it-says-on-the-tin-plus-a-bit-more-into-the-bargain machine.

I will follow your ownership experience with interest :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Royale, I'm glad you found it useful. I really wanted to give a straight forward and honest review as the Internet sometimes only attracts extreme views whether positive or negative.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update: just finished my first tank of fuel. I managed just shy of 63mpg, this is a real mix of short trips and longer trips with some motorway/dual carriageway. And a mix of having the eco button on and off.

This was worked out by brimming the tank and then brimming the tank again 630 miles later (taking exactly 45.5L).

The armorall shield has kept my paint looking shiny and kept water beading so far. I will start a thread on my cleaning routine once I am happy with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still on my third tank of fuel, although my mpg has deterated substantially to about 53mpg. This is mainly due to small trips (less than 8 miles a time) and not using the eco button.

The car continues to grow on me and remains a pleasure to drive. I'm driving into Europe next week so should clock up a good 700 miles in a single trip, let's see if I can do it on one tank!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drove from Derby to Bruges in Belgium and back fully loaded with people and stuff with eco mode off @ 70mph most of the way. Only used 2/3 of a tank. I'm well impressed with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.