UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted a few things so far but on a 9 hour night drive a couple of irritations came out:

Cruise control buttons need a backlight on the steering wheel, I'm used to them but my copilot didn't have a clue.

Eco button. The light behind it is weak to say the least, if it had a slightly different indentation it would help locate it in the dark.

Tyre pressure warning, its needed two resets so far on the same pressure.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not managed to wheel spin yet but one of my previous cars had traction control so when it gets icy or dicy I'll be in a position to notice..

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to add water marks on the sills under the door, open the door and blech!

Not had a car that did this since 94.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm going to add water marks on the sills under the door, open the door and blech!

Not had a car that did this since 94.
I would rather water and dirt dripping on the sills, than water leaking in on to the interior carpets, like in my previous car...

The Logan seems like the rest of the range, reasonably well put together, for the most part well designed and good, functional cars. Yes they are clearly built to a cost and if you look hard or compare directly you can see it, but equally they sell at low cost, they are cheap but certainly not nasty.

And Dacia actually seem to excel at having what you need, rather than what other manufacturers try to sell you at marked up prices. I like to think of Dacia's as the intelligent peoples choice for budget motoring, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using old tried and tested technology, refining it and bringing it all together after learning from mistakes from previous generations. In fact I'd far rather that than be a guinea pig for over engineered pioneering technology.

Very proud new owner here, can't speak highly enough of the Logan, for the price new it's not only the cheapest estate car, but for me it's genuinely the most appealing one - I can't stand gadgets and gizmos, electric memory seats, lights that move around the corner, follow me home lights, auto wipers, climate control etc. Who needs all that rubbish! God I'm starting to sound like an old man! ;)

My main criticisms really are the lack of English workshop manual (pdf or hardback) and relatively small amount of forum users. It's sad that there are very few posts on here and it's such a shame, hopefully as Dacia's popularity grows so to will this community and how-to guides, servicing tips etc...

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Kernowduster

...fully support your praise for Dacia's approach to providing what we need, rather than what dealers & journos tell us we want...

...my Duster is my first new car: I plan to keep it for many years, and as there's less to go wrong - hopefully - less will go wrong (even with the extended warranty)...

...as James May said: "It might just be a no-nonsense car for people over-endowed with sense."

Joe

p.s. pity the Logan doesn't have the groundswell of support that the Sandero, Stepway and Duster have...although I'm sure its time will come!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I went with the Logan, hopefully being delivered 31st, as I didn't need a 4x4, road tax is only £20 and the boots massive. Looking on the forum I feel more and more positive about it. Hoping mine doesn't have the stop start thing as cant believe this does starter any long term good. Also not sure about the Eco button bit. People on here say drive with it off full time. Others drive with it on full time. I guess if its limiting the engine that has to be bad long term too?
Look forward to seeing the car in the flesh and installing the few extras I have waiting for it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would rather water and dirt dripping on the sills, than water leaking in on to the interior carpets, like in my previous car...

The Logan seems like the rest of the range, reasonably well put together, for the most part well designed and good, functional cars. Yes they are clearly built to a cost and if you look hard or compare directly you can see it, but equally they sell at low cost, they are cheap but certainly not nasty.

And Dacia actually seem to excel at having what you need, rather than what other manufacturers try to sell you at marked up prices. I like to think of Dacia's as the intelligent peoples choice for budget motoring, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using old tried and tested technology, refining it and bringing it all together after learning from mistakes from previous generations. In fact I'd far rather that than be a guinea pig for over engineered pioneering technology.

Very proud new owner here, can't speak highly enough of the Logan, for the price new it's not only the cheapest estate car, but for me it's genuinely the most appealing one - I can't stand gadgets and gizmos, electric memory seats, lights that move around the corner, follow me home lights, auto wipers, climate control etc. Who needs all that rubbish! God I'm starting to sound like an old man! ;)

My main criticisms really are the lack of English workshop manual (pdf or hardback) and relatively small amount of forum users. It's sad that there are very few posts on here and it's such a shame, hopefully as Dacia's popularity grows so to will this community and how-to guides, servicing tips etc...
Sorry but Dacia do not excel at what you need- Its sad that Dacia think that because you have bought a relatively inexpensive car you should expect a n cap 3 star rating. This is unheard of in any other new car where 5 stars is the norm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry but Dacia do not excel at what you need- Its sad that Dacia think that because you have bought a relatively inexpensive car you should expect a n cap 3 star rating. This is unheard of in any other new car where 5 stars is the norm
And do you know what causes them to lose a star? Having removable safety stickers on the door and visor for the disabling of passenger air bag etc. They are safer than you are led to believe it's mostly ncap red tape regs that ruins the score, not the actual crash performance (although no doubt there may be a little room for improvement also). Besides I've never been in an accident and I've been driving for 20+ years, I believe in not testing out the ncap safety rating and that most accidents can be avoided by the best crash protection system - good driving techniques and road awareness from the driver, as well as passive and active safety systems.

And yes they excel at what I need and I can't be told otherwise, as it's my opinion and nobody knows it better. :) And if your main car is a Fiat Panda, I think I would rather take my chances in a Logan with it's larger crumple zones, DRL's, ASC, TC, ABS, airbags etc. People in glass houses and that. And why have over 1100 posts on a Dacia forum if you slate them, they aren't bad little cars and I didn't say they were the best or safest, just that they suit my requirements perfectly.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
This would be a pointless forum if every time you say something remotely negative you risk the wrath of the fan boy brigade- getting personal will only drive people away and destroy any hope of a constructive debate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
NSS your comment wasn't constructive, you made it personal by mocking and ridiculing the ncap rating and telling me that Dacia doesn't excel at what I need.

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate, everyone has their opinion, but who says that I need or want a 5 star rating. OK, you do :D But I'm not a fan boy (and insults don't help either). I openly admit that there are better cars out there and badge snobs will no doubt take a very wide birth (but that's what they did to Skoda and now look what happened to that brand).

All I can say is that the Logan fits my situation perfectly - low cost motoring, load lugging capacity for commuting with the family, reasonable safety albeit maybe not class leading, but what do you expect for £7,000 when equivalent Skoda Octavia estates are £20,000 and beyond...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with your comments, that's why it's a niggle, and not a full scale shriek I hate Dacia princess rant ;) not that I do that myself but you'll find plenty of examples.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Traction control fine in the snow, but I've wheel spun the Logan on acceleration in second a few times but car was solid on the road

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
NSS your comment wasn't constructive, you made it personal by mocking and ridiculing the ncap rating and telling me that Dacia doesn't excel at what I need. Nothing wrong with a healthy debate, everyone has their opinion, but who says that I need or want a 5 star rating. OK, you do :D But I'm not a fan boy (and insults don't help either). I openly admit that there are better cars out there and badge snobs will no doubt take a very wide birth (but that's what they did to Skoda and now look what happened to that brand). All I can say is that the Logan fits my situation perfectly - low cost motoring, load lugging capacity for commuting with the family, reasonable safety albeit maybe not class leading, but what do you expect for £7,000 when equivalent Skoda Octavia estates are £20,000 and beyond...
But that's my badly made point' if I pay £7000 or £70000 I expect a safe car' Of course I'm not saying the Logan is dangerous but you should not have to except 5 star rating as something you cant have because your on a budget

·
Registered
281 Posts
But that's my badly made point' if I pay £7000 or £70000 I expect a safe car' Of course I'm not saying the Logan is dangerous but you should not have to except 5 star rating as something you cant have because your on a budget
I think that you should look at the NCAP ratings before making statements about new cars having 5 stars ratings, plenty don't, like the BMW Z4 - 3 stars, FIAT Panda cross - 3 Stars, Renault Traffic / Vauxhall Vivaro - 3 Stars, MINI Clubman - 4 Stars, Lancia Ypsillion - 2 Stars. So sometimes you don't get 5 stars even with vehicles costing over 3 times what you can buy a Logan for.

It seems odd to me that you would keep commenting negatively on a Dacia forum and think that the other contributors would all share your views, if they don't referring to them as "Fan Boys" is a derogatory remark. The majority of posters seem to me to be decent people reasonably pleased with their cars and/or searching for information. Since you don't appear to drive a Dacia you don't really comment from a position of knowledge, just knocking the brand for whatever reason seems a little odd?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...actually, I think that IS the point: one of the concessions/compromises you have to accept on a budget car is that it may have performed less well in the likes of the NCAP tests, as it may not have as many airbags etc....

...a 3-star rating does not make the car inherently dangerous, and if I recall correctly the low score was also affected by poor pedestrian protection rather than purely driver/passenger safety...

...and in any case, surely drivers are the single biggest factor in whether a new car is dangerous or not?: a bit like the old adage "guns don't kill people - people kill people"

Joe

p.s. and as I've said elsewhere recently, I continue to find this a very useful and informative forum, due primarily to the healthy debate and exchange of views...without getting personal

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
it wheels spins at will but I just tell folks its cause am big and nothing to do with the car.
new tyre on front has made no difference :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts