UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been looking at the Duster for a while now and have read as many reviews as I could find.

Yesterday, I finally test drove a 4x2 1.5 dci Laureate (in Cinnamon) and was more impressed than I had expected to be. Contrary to what some of the motoring press have been saying, I didn't find the engine, wind or road noise overly intrusive. Okay, I commute by motorbike 100 miles a day and at other times drive my wife's Fiat Panda multijet, so maybe most things seem quiet after those!

Anyway, I would really like to have driven a 4x4 version, not because off-roading is my thing, but more to experience the different gear ratios.

However, I am interested to know how good the traction is in the 4x2 version when negotiating, muddy lanes, grass, etc. Has anyone bought a 4x2 and regretted not buying the 4x4 or vice versa?

One thing odd that I noticed was that the wipers don't wipe the top 3-4 inches of the screen. The wipers look very puny for a vehicle of this size. Has anyone tried to retro-fit larger wipers or at least a larger wiper on the driver's side?

I notice that from 2nd Jan till 31st March that a 5 year warranty is being offered on new registrations in that period as well as £750 discount if you use their PCP or HP scheme to purchase the vehicle. Mind you with an interest rate of 12.4% it's not really much if a 'deal' when once can borrow at about 4.5% at the moment.

Has anyone made any warranty claims? Are they dealt with efficiently and without quibble? Having been on the rough end of Triumph's we-don't-admit-anything-is-wrong-with-your-motorbike approach to warranty claims, I wondered whether Dacia/Renault take a similar approach.

Oh, am also interested to hear what options people went for and whether they rate the MediaNav system and the Adventurer Pack? I think the Protection Pack probably makes sense but am open-minded about the others.

Anyway, thanks for reading this post. I am really keen to hear any opinions/advice good or bad about the Duster.

HarshButFair51

·
Registered
182 Posts
so l guess the thing to do is take the 5 year warranty/£750 deposit on a pcp deal,then a month later sauce the funds elsewhere at a sensible rate and pay off the renault finance and walk away with 2 years extra warranty and £750 off the price of the car![although there will be admin fees]

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I drive the 4x2 and love it, I didn't like the gears on the 4x4 I test drove but would have got used to them quickly enough if needed. I went for the 4x2 purely because I have no need for 4x4, I've driven it up lots of steep windy Highland roads without any problems, the engine has loads of power when you need it and it grips like glue on the road at least.

Pretty much everybody changes the wiper blades I think, good (longer blades) are not expensive.

I decided against any of the packs, none of them had the mix of bits that I thought were useful and I figured I could buy what I wanted and fit it myself for less. I moved up from a Panda too and the Duster is soo much roomier.

Reactions: antavi

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive the 4x2 and love it, I didn't like the gears on the 4x4 I test drove but would have got used to them quickly enough if needed. I went for the 4x2 purely because I have no need for 4x4, I've driven it up lots of steep windy Highland roads without any problems, the engine has loads of power when you need it and it grips like glue on the road at least.

Pretty much everybody changes the wiper blades I think, good (longer blades) are not expensive.

I decided against any of the packs, none of them had the mix of bits that I thought were useful and I figured I could buy what I wanted and fit it myself for less. I moved up from a Panda too and the Duster is soo much roomier.
Thanks Troute.

Very useful to hear your experience of the Duster. Some people will need 4x4 but I suspect the majority of 4x4 drivers don't actually need the extra traction and at £2k more it's kind of hard to justify the cost. Interesting that you also previously had a Panda. I suppose you'll be missing the economy of the Panda but it's a trade off against a much more substantial and practical vehicle.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
The Duster has better fuel economy than the Panda (it was a 1.2 petrol model) but I suppose they work out roughly the same cost wise. The big plus for me comes with the extra room available, I hardly drove the Panda and avoided long runs because it was just too small inside, right shoulder always bumping the door pillar, having to hunch down to see out the front window etc. the Duster is a dream to drive in comparison. If Antavi ever gets round to visiting Scotland he could camp out in the boot :D

Reactions: antavi

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Duster has better fuel economy than the Panda (it was a 1.2 petrol model) but I suppose they work out roughly the same cost wise. The big plus for me comes with the extra room available, I hardly drove the Panda and avoided long runs because it was just too small inside, right shoulder always bumping the door pillar, having to hunch down to see out the front window etc. the Duster is a dream to drive in comparison. If Antavi ever gets round to visiting Scotland he could camp out in the boot :D
Haha. I suspect you are perhaps a little larger than I am! We have had two Pandas in our family from new. Both diesels. My son's now has 116k miles on it and my wife's 70k. Both have averaged around 56mpg over their lifetime and apart from a bizarre 'water in the engine causing hydraulic lock' problem which the dealer said was a seized engine, both have been ultra-reliable. I wonder whether the Duster 1.5dci will be that fuel-efficient.

Is your model a diesel or petrol variant?

Am arranging a second test drive and am 90% certain that I shall then order. Can't decide on colour as the new model colours are uninspiring (imo) and they dropped the blue which is the best colour (imo). Slate grey is my probably choice but would like to see one 'in the flesh' or at least some decent photos.#

Thanks again for your posts.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Mine is the 1.5 Diesel, my average mpg is under my avatar it's quite possible to get 52-4mpg if you're careful.

<-----<<

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
@harshbutfair51

I have to say that I quite liked some things about the 2WD courtesy Duster I received during warranty repairs. Seemed a fair bit spritelier than my 4WD: it won't have had the very latest generation Renault 1.5 engine so that would almost certainly be due to the difference in weight and gear ratios. Mpg on the 2WD was very impressive, as per Troute's experience, and there are many out there who say that a good set of off-road tyres will get you most places - of course, mpg would take a hit during every day use though. (To note that very careful driving on a 4WD might see 40-43 mpg, but you really see a dip if you do too many short runs.)

As to the 2WD's performance really-off-road; unfortunately I can't advise, but I recall that Herb bought a 2WD for use on his 300 acres (although he was keeping a Discovery also): haven't seen/noticed any Herb updates since 2013 though.

Despite some of the above, I don't regret going for the 4WD. I prefer the slightly smoother ride and it was bought with regular use on hilly-turf in mind (touch wood, that will be very soon and I don't have Herb's Landie backup!). In the mean-time I have enjoyed that added confidence that I can get back up a loose pebbly beach, but, otherwise, I reckon a 2WD will do most things (especially with some more agressive tyres).

Just some extra thoughts!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Be advised that there's a new face lifted model due next year, and that any packs ordered will almost certainly increase the already quite long waiting time between order and collection and that your best selling your Panda privately as Dacia don't do decent part ex prices. Also the petrol engine is only available in the basic access model order any other variant and your talking Diesel engine.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Be advised that there's a new face lifted model due next year, and that any packs ordered will almost certainly increase the already quite long waiting time between order and collection and that your best selling your Panda privately as Dacia don't do decent part ex prices. Also the petrol engine is only available in the basic access model order any other variant and your talking Diesel engine.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Dacia gave me a very good trade-in price on my Focus, which 9 weeks later and a couple of 1000 miles they still honoured even though its trade-in value had dropped.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Dacia gave me a very good trade-in price on my Focus, which 9 weeks later and a couple of 1000 miles they still honoured even though its trade-in value had dropped.
... but they threatened not to honour mine if I didn't collect immediately. Remember; is not Dacia it's your dealer. Yours was good, mine is crap. Simples.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Excellent trade in price for My Kia ceed through Evans Halshaw Dacia Sheffield. P----d all over We/Buy/Want/ Will have any car etc;-);-):):)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your responses so far. All really useful. Reassuring to find that the forum is so active too.

Trade-in is not an issue for me as the Panda is the wife's and is staying with us.

I had a second test drive today and I am still impressed but am still dithering over 4x2 vs 4x4 and colour.

My thinking is that the 4x4, though nice to have, is hard to justify given that (in my case) it will probably only benefit me for a week or so every winter. Also, with the slightly lower gear ratios and heavier weight, the fuel economy takes a hit and this is something that is important to me.

Am I being unrealistic in thinking that a 4x2 at sensible speeds, driven mainly on long A-road and motorway journeys can achieve somewhere in the region of 50 mpg?

As to colour, I have seen White and Cinnamon in the flesh but am drawn to either Slate Grey, which is used extensively in the brochure, or Khaki but can't find any decent pictures of this colour.

Is anyone has pics they can email me then I would be very happy to see them ([email protected]).

Oh, the dealer says that if I ordered a 4x2 in Khaki it could be with me by mid March. Given the delivery problems people have experienced is this likely?

Happy New Year to all.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts