UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a loud fuel pump, i assume its the pump, the sound comes from the rear seats,

you hear it only when you first turn ingnition key, but not fire disiel up, when engine running you cant hear it ---- IS THIS NORMAL?

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
yes, mines does it too. It is pressurising the system when you switch the ignition on and you will hear that the note changes after a few seconds

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
does anyone have a loud fuel pump, i assume its the pump, the sound comes from the rear seats,

you hear it only when you first turn ingnition key, but not fire disiel up, when engine running you cant hear it ---- IS THIS NORMAL?
Yes ! Mine does it as well. I don't hear when the engine is running ! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, mines does it too. It is pressurising the system when you switch the ignition on and you will hear that the note changes after a few seconds
thanks, have put some felt under seat, makes it less noisey

also how did you get 30 bhp increase?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
diesel tuning box (NOT from eBay!!) @Stepwise

goes like stink now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Think it may need to be borrowed for 10 minutes at one of the meets to see what it's like, does it void any warranty?

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
I don't want to get a reputation for negative posting but more power , torque and better fuel consumption all at the same time. There is an old adage you don't get owt for nowt. I looked at the web site and they are claiming the same results for Bentlley Continentals with 500BHP petrol engines and Porsche 911's although they do increase the asking price accordingly!
There are 7 settings (all micro pins and you shift the jumper)...it comes supplied on the middle setting which is better everything. Move the settings to the left and power and torque reduce but economy comes up or move the settings to the right power and torque increase and economy suffers. I had it on the middle setting for a month and i have to say there was a noticeable improvement. It's currently on the power/torque setting and i have to say economy has dropped by about 10mpg and that is driving as 'economically' as I can.

It is going back to the middle setting soon which is a nice all round improvement.

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
These boxes work by fooling the ECU to inject more fuel or simply just inject more fuel. All the other engine sensors are ignored. It is different from a remap where a more "aggressive" program is used than the manufactures conservative - more reliable? - program. If the claims of 30% more torque is true I'd be very worried about the drive train not least the clutch and gearbox. There are other problems associated with over fueling which I won't go into here. Manufacturers do not just program the ECU to be spoilsorts and deny you more power. I certainly wouldn't knowingly buy a secondhand car that has had one of these black boxes fitted. That said good luck you will probably have got rid before the problems start.
I fitted one of these "boxes" to my SEAT Leon tdI 110 it certainly made a big difference to the torque on hard acceleration and an improved mpg if you drove light footed.

But it used to throw up an engine management fault light now and then !

Luckily, I bought a cheap fault code reader from eBay and used to extinguish it now and then as well !

I, personally, would now go for an ECU remap as the Duster has the same engine as the Stepway, with increased power & torque, so obviously it can take it.

Plus, I would have thought, is undetectable by anyone unless they went into the software for any reason and why would they ? IMO ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
On a lighter "noisy fuel pump" note, my first car way back in 1965 was an old MG Magnette ZB. Apart from the engine not a lot worked on it, including the fuel gauge. But when the fuel pump was having to sook from a nearly empty tank it made the most god-awful racket and gave a good reminder that a visit to the nearest petrol station was due!

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
On a lighter "noisy fuel pump" note, my first car way back in 1965 was an old MG Magnette ZB. Apart from the engine not a lot worked on it, including the fuel gauge. But when the fuel pump was having to sook from a nearly empty tank it made the most god-awful racket and gave a good reminder that a visit to the nearest petrol station was due!
ahh the old SU fuel pump tick tick tick tick until you ran out of fuel then it went BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

When I was racing I had twin Facet competition pumps in the back - they made a helluva din all the time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts