UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Duster for a hoon around the flooded back roads where I live- great fun all taken in its stride....
ImageUploadedByDaciaForum.co.uk1389524822.600468.jpg
ImageUploadedByDaciaForum.co.uk1389524833.718472.jpg ImageUploadedByDaciaForum.co.uk1389524843.951025.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I would say that the Duster throws more self-generated wash onto the windscreen, when it hits standing-water, than any other car I've driven. (I admit that doesn't include many "off-road" designed vehicles.) I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to me. Having been "blinded" on a few occassions, my approach to standing road-water is increasingly cautious in my Duster.

A combination of approach angle/chassis config'/ground clearance etc maybe?? Any thoughts or counter-thoughts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i totally agree, and having wipers on before hitting any standing water in the Duster is a must....i'm not sure wether its the shape of the wings or the front but most of the displaced water goes 'up and over' rather than out to the sides!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
i totally agree, and having wipers on before hitting any standing water in the Duster is a must....i'm not sure wether its the shape of the wings or the front but most of the displaced water goes 'up and over' rather than out to the sides!
I was thinking, after my post #2, that maybe the 4WD sump-shield was also part of the "problem". However, I'm thinking you don't have a shield on the 4x2 (?)

[P.S. to my "cautious approach to standing water": apart from the 'up and over' effect, have to say she otherwise behaves rather well when I can't avoid ponding. I trust Dacia will see me good with my rust issues :unsure:, cos I'm ever more impressed with the Duster's driveability as time goes by. However, I'm missing the snow experience: could someone fix it please to send some snow down here soon?]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, i dont think its fitted on the 4x2...(maybe wrong??), the Duster has been through alot of 'light/medium' offroading, i work next too and on a 40 acre MOD range and its been all over it in all conditions, and as yet just like my old Yeti before it, has never come unstuck...(or stuck!). Its just hit the 6000 mile mark and as yet no problems, no rust...even on the panel i'm waiting for repair after some numpty clipped it, which is exposed to the elements..

And as for Ponding...who can resist? Even if it does initiate a punch reflex in the wife if she's sat in the passenger side! :D

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I think its the same with the 4 x 2 as it has a large steel plate under the engine sump. Held in place by lots of bolts and weighs a tonne according to my mechanic when he did the oil change.

My personal feeling about the water throw was the wheels sit further outbound of the body than on a normal car, that and the depth of tread from the crossover tyres.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I think its the same with the 4 x 2 as it has a large steel plate under the engine sump. Held in place by lots of bolts and weighs a tonne according to my mechanic when he did the oil change.

My personal feeling about the water throw was the wheels sit further outbound of the body than on a normal car, that and the depth of tread from the crossover tyres.
As regards front wheel position, that's what I'm thinking too. However, will be interesting to see whether any owners of "real" off-roaders (Landies in particular) report similar.

[OK, before I get gripes, the Duster is arguably a real off-roader, relative to school-run SUVs, but ..... input from big-boy off-road owners/drivers might be interesting!]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts