UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
With an Access 2wd on order, I have been thinking of converting to Lpg in the long term. The price of these conversions seems to have come down in recent years and hopefully it will give me a viable alternative to a diesel's better fuel consumption. My intention is to fit it after 12 months ownership. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, especially if you have owned a bi-fuel vehicle in the past.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not as yet. Maybe Renault / Dacia have a certified installer that will satisfy the warranty, I'm trying to get more information.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess that would be a good option as it would be a shame to lose the warranty. I would imagine they could recommend an installer which would allow the warranty to continue

·
Registered
43 Posts
i drove a classic dacia on lpg , in fact a carburetor dacia
198X... the power is not the same. price wise the gas was half the cost of petrol and the car was very ecological. in fact the mot guys said that it passes euro 2 standards even though the car is a non euro pollution standards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am interested in getting an LPG conversion on my Duster, when it arrives. It has already been done in France, in fact I think Dacia are now offering it as an option there.

see http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/lpg-power-for-dacia-duster-for-the-first-time-in-france/

It would be good if they did that here - but I think it's unlikely, as they don't want us to buy the petrol Dusters.

On the 2WD models, there is plenty of room for a large tank underneath at the back, which would have no impact on luggage space.

A modern multipoint LPG system should give better performance and economy than the system on a carburettor car....

I'd be interested to hear about how the warranty would be affected.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I started this topic I had heard something about LPG Dusters being available in Europe. At 13350 euros for the basic model it equates to around £11500 + import fees and taxes for a LHD model. As the cost of an LPG kit here can be around £1000 it appears to be a cost effective conversion for the petrol model. Just need to find if Renault / Dacia sanction a specific system in the UK which won't invalidate the warranty! It's very encouraging as they must source the system from a proven supplier somewhere in Europe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just need to find if Renault / Dacia sanction a specific system in the UK which won't invalidate the warranty!
Try writing to the Marketing Director at Dacia. I think I've seen his name mentioned on here somewhere.

I wouldn't trust their online chat system as they will have a script to follow and they may not know the answer.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I spied this on YouTube today

The vid doesn't show anything, sorry, but the blurb that went along with it says that Renault are releasing a LPG version of this popular SUV

Looks like there may be an official conversion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be writing to Renault / Dacia to find out all the information I can regarding LPG conversion and any effect on warranty. Must see if they intend to market the LPG model over here, and if so, the time frame and projected price. If they could supply within 1 year I might consider cancelling my order and waiting for one. I'll post if i get a reply.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i would not like to have an lpg powered car.... not for an suv at least. I can see it working on taxis or small city cars like the smart , but I think it delivers to low power for a highway car.

and the duster it s 110 (not a lot) , with lpg i thing 100 hp it s tops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most Dacia models (including those not available in the UK) come factory lpg-converted with a fully integrated system. My father lives abroad and drives 2010 Sandero 1.4 lpg. That motor has been replaced by 1.2 which is available factory converted in Europe. If Dacia sees enough demand, it's not going to be a problem to offer these models in the UK.
1.2 motor is the old Renault Clio motor. It is reliable and lpg-friendly. I called customer service the other day and they told me that lpg conversion invalidates motor warrany only and the rest of the vehicle is not affected. I'll wait until they offer lpg models or buy Proton 1.6 which comes converted as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi people,

Newby, here but lets go:

My Dacia Access (november 2013) is booked in for a LPG conversion at Ecotec in West Drayton next Thursday. I had three cars which were converted previously and am keen to enjoy the fuel cost savings.

The three year warranty being invalidated was a concern so I asked Renault, London West, where I had bought the car. They admitted they did not know as it was a Dacia UK call.

A few emails with Dacia confirmed that the three year warranty would still be valid for "non-gas items" with the exclusion of damage to valves or pistons developing hot spots" because of the new fuel.

I have discussed the "hot spot" possibility with Ecotec. They assure me that they have converted many of these engines in the Renault model, so there is no worry.

So, its booked, and will happen.

If you want to know more, ask me after the event :)

Steve.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Interested to see what the range per tank is with lpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, the price is £850, including the 1000 mile service , and the courtesy car whist the work id done.

Regards, Steve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, picked up the converted car yesterday.

It is a very neat job.

64 L tank in the area where a spare wheel would be.

Pressure reducer tucked behind the battery.

Filler connection behind the petrol filler flap, so you would not know it was there.

Stalled the car twice in the first few miles, obviously the power distribution has changed slightly. However I seem to have adjusted to this easily and would say the car drives as well as ever. I am told that the 1000 mile free service will make small adjustments to the engine mapping (?) that will eliminate any differences that I have noticed.

Steve

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi, picked up the converted car yesterday.

It is a very neat job.

64 L tank in the area where a spare wheel would be.

Pressure reducer tucked behind the battery.

Filler connection behind the petrol filler flap, so you would not know it was there.

Stalled the car twice in the first few miles, obviously the power distribution has changed slightly. However I seem to have adjusted to this easily and would say the car drives as well as ever. I am told that the 1000 mile free service will make small adjustments to the engine mapping (?) that will eliminate any differences that I have noticed.

Steve
hows the conversion running and whats the mpg like ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to liven an old thread again but I thought I could add my 2 cents to this topic... we run a taxi company in Bournemouth that has a fleet (albeit small!) of LPG cars including an Astra and Vectra. The Dacia connection is that we're looking at a new car at the moment, and test drove a Logan today.

It is quite irritating that LPG is actually available as an option in Europe, but not here... but then when I got to looking at the economics, it was actually quite interesting what I found out.

Whenever I say our cars run on gas everyone assumes they're really cheap... and they are! The Vectra averages 30mpg, the Astra nearer 40mpg, but at 70p per litre rather than the usual double price for petrol or diesel. BUT... with the diesel Logan (and I know this isn't the Logan section of the forum!) stating combined mpg of 74mpg, this could/would potentially work out cheaper than running a gas powered version.

I can compare it to the Astra and the Vectra but the Logan is almost a size in between them... not as big as the Vec, but much bigger than the Astra but either way the results come out like this:-

Vectra (LPG)
70p per litre LPG x 4.55 = £3.18 a gallon​
£3.18 / 30 miles = 10.5p per mile
Astra (LPG)​
70p per litre LPG x 4.55 = £3.18 a gallon​
£3.18 / 40 miles = 8p per mile
Logan
£1.30 per litre Diesel x 4.55 = £5.91 a gallon​
£5.91 / 74 miles = 8p per mile

So, my point isn't that LPG is bad... I love running on gas and we publicise it on our website for being "environmentally friendly", but that you really should work out the economics of it before deciding to switch. Sure, it would invalidate warranties etc etc, but whilst LPG saves a fortune against petrol cars, it's very difficult to justify losing boot space for the tank and having the awkwardness of finding places to fill up unless you want to do it to save the planet! ;)

You can check out my cars at http://www.castle-cabs.co.uk by the way but from the test drive earlier I have a feeling you'll be seeing a Dacia on there before long!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts