UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Well now the Duster is on the road its lubricants and other fluids are going to need topping up at some stage. Unfortunately, although the handbook tells you how to top these up it doesn't tell you the specification required.
I have only concentrated on the petrol-engined Access model. As Dacia-specific information is limited sometimes I have looked at what the Renault K4M engine requires.

Engine oil 5W-40 fully synthetic to Renault spec RN 0700, ACEA A3.
Brake fluid DOT4.
Coolant 50% Ethylene Glycol antifreeze (you could use Propylene Glycol, it's safer but hard to find in the UK).

I will try to confirm these when I next visit the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed they haven't put that information in the manual! Let us know when you confirm it and I'll make this topic a sticky.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you do a search on the internet for RN0700 most oil suppliers offer oil to this spec so I guess you can put any 5W-40 oil in, although I would stick with major manufacturers.

However, I know that when I had my Mondeo serviced by my local mechanic, when it was under warranty, he always put Ford oil in and I guess he will put Renault (or what is recommended) oil in whilst the Duster is under warranty - when it arrives of course.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Renault recommend Elf lubricants which are difficult to obtain in the UK. I suspect even the dealers will use another brand. The K4M engine seems very tolerant when it comes to choice of oil. After all, it was developed back in 1995 when we used less high-tech oils.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Renault recommend Elf lubricants which are difficult to obtain in the UK. I suspect even the dealers will use another brand. The K4M engine seems very tolerant when it comes to choice of oil. After all, it was developed back in 1995 when we used less high-tech oils.
Elf is (was) a French company so this makes sense. However, it is now owned by Total which is reasonably common in the UK.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I think Renault also own or have shares in them?

As long as whatever oil you use meets the specification (eg, 5W-30 or something) then it doesn't matter. They all have to be manufactured to the same spec by law. The only difference is whether you go for part or fully synthetic, and then I'd just go for whatever the manufacturer recommends.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer confirms my data regarding fluids and lubricants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts