UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do the maps get updated?

I have 90 days (well I guess 81 now) days to update my map to the latest one for free, but the latest one its offering me now is Q2 2015. I wondered if its worth holding out for a month to get a 2016 map?

My TomTom always used to get an update every Quarter, so Q2 2015 seems quite out of date already!

Ben

·
Registered
985 Posts
2 a year I believe from experience...always retrospective and not current. Only the first update is free. I missed a map update by one week. CS couldn't have been less interested in a goodwill gesture, but helpfully suggested that I could buy the current map for £79!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok,

So does anybody know when did the Q2 update get released? Then I can figure out if my 90 days is within 6 months of that...

Ben

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts

I have 90 days (well I guess 81 now) days to update my map to the latest one for free, but the latest one its offering me now is Q2 2015. I wondered if its worth holding out for a month to get a 2016 map?

My TomTom always used to get an update every Quarter, so Q2 2015 seems quite out of date already!

Ben
I would say, get it done now. You won't get one more recent than that, for awhile yet !! ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent a quick email to Dacia, and this is the response :

Firslty I can inform you that the Media Nav map updates are released every six months, and that the latest map was release early December. As such, the next update will be released early June.
I emailed back to say I was quiet surprised that the latest update was in fact 6 months out of date (e.g Dec update having a Q2 map). I don't expect a response though.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I sent a quick email to Dacia, and this is the response :

I emailed back to say I was quiet surprised that the latest update was in fact 6 months out of date (e.g Dec update having a Q2 map). I don't expect a response though.
The 2015 Q2 update was only just released in December, It replaced the version 2014 Q2.
So I am not so sure their is even 2 updates every year...
I questioned this through the contact section on the map update page, apparently The new maps are not launched for 6 months from their creation date... So I am still waiting for a answer to 2 questions
1) Why has it just gone from 2014 Q2 to 2015 Q2, What happened to 2015 Q1?
2) Why are the maps 6 months out of date when they are finally launched?
I have had no response to that so far, An don't think I will get one any time soon.

Ben Suffolk, As the last map release was just in Mid December there will defiantly not be another one released before your 90 days free update has expired, So you are best to just do your upgrade now.
If your MediaNav maps that came with your new 2015 car are like mine, They are already well out of date.... My 2015 Euro6 Steppy came with 2012Q4 maps installed on it, So your new 2015 car has likely been handed to you with excessively out of date maps installed on its MediaNav.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the upgrade today, and yes the old maps on it where several years out of date! I guess it does not matter as the latest map guarantee sort it out so they can keep loading an old version without any worries.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I did the upgrade today, and yes the old maps on it where several years out of date! I guess it does not matter as the latest map guarantee sort it out so they can keep loading an old version without any worries.
Except for some people that don't own a PC or Laptop with a usb port to go on the internet to download the update...

I know people that only have Tablets that do not have usb ports on them...

So really a new car should be handed over to a new owner with the latest map installed on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True, the dealer should do it part of the PDI I guess. Maybe that's what you get if you spend an extra £20k on a premium brand :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Buying a less premium brand, does not in any way excuse poor or less than excellent customer service to the end user though does it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buying a less premium brand, does not in any way excuse poor or less than excellent customer service to the end user though does it?
No, but you have less money to spend on service, and I daresay if you said at the time of purchase, if you update your satnav map your self to the latest version for free, we will knock £100 off the price. Most people would jump at the chance. There might of course be the odd person who does not have a computer and would be happy to not receive the discount.

In essence thats all they are doing, but not asking, you just got the discount on the car price anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
No, but you have less money to spend on service, and I daresay if you said at the time of purchase, if you update your satnav map your self to the latest version for free, we will knock £100 off the price. Most people would jump at the chance. There might of course be the odd person who does not have a computer and would be happy to not receive the discount.

In essence thats all they are doing, but not asking, you just got the discount on the car price anyway.
I don't know if anybody has done this, but has anybody asked a dealer to up-date it for them, as they have not have a computer and what was the outcome ? ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know if anybody has done this, but has anybody asked a dealer to up-date it for them, as they have not have a computer and what was the outcome ? ;)
I recall reading somewhere on here that somebody did ask, and they wanted to charge them in the region of £50 I think.

You need to work out how long it takes to do (its somewhat of a faff of a process, with USB sticks, and computers). I guess it took me about 15 mins by the time the update is done.

Whats labour rater these days for a main dealer? Approx £200 p/h?

Ben

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did get a response as it happens, although its nothing more than a nod towards my comments.

I would also like to inform you that I have collected your feedback regarding the periodicity of the Media Nav's map updates and will relay them to the appropriate department.
I suspect the reality is they are not updated very often because there is not a demand for them. That demand is not there because they charge so much, and as has been pointed out by others, most other providers give you free updates.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

Ben
My Garmin lets you update 4 times a year.Free for life

1 - 16 of 16 Posts