UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just updated my maps on my media nav to uk and island 2014 Q4 ready for my holiday to devon but i have noticed i no longer have any speed camera warnings i have emailed customer support at media navs toolbox but there reply is just stupid telling me to re install ect but it just says my device upto date i have made a fresh fingerprint ect but when i plug it into comp toolbox does not let me update as its already up to date i had same problem last year when i updated map to find all speed cams where in kph not mph untill they fixed it just wondering is anyone else having problems or is it just me ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
These are user settings which you xan control. It's probable that the update has reverted yours to a factory default setting. All you need to do is change them back. I can't recall off-hand where they are but it will all be in your Medianav handbook

·
Registered
272 Posts
Try this Laurence. HOME-NAVI-WARNINGS and see if ALERT POINT WARNINGS is turned on. They have to have this facility because in some countries it is illegal to use speed camera warnings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try this Laurence. HOME-NAVI-WARNINGS and see if ALERT POINT WARNINGS is turned on. They have to have this facility because in some countries it is illegal to use speed camera warnings.
i have turned them on and off and then on again nothing i have had to send the fingerprint to media nav support to get them to figure it out all i know is it looks like i have no speed cameras any more i have driven past a few that i know off but nothing comes up as i said last year i had problems with map update with speed cams showing kph instead of mph so had fun when i drove to devon till they did a fix

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
i have turned them on and off and then on again nothing i have had to send the fingerprint to media nav support to get them to figure it out all i know is it looks like i have no speed cameras any more i have driven past a few that i know off but nothing comes up as i said last year i had problems with map update with speed cams showing kph instead of mph so had fun when i drove to devon till they did a fix
Just out of curiosity, how did you implement the fix ?

I bought the latest map upgrade a couple of weeks ago, but usually run with alerts off except probably if I go to a strange / unknown county. I will now turn mine on and see if they work around my local area. ! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just out of curiosity, how did you implement the fix ?

I bought the latest map upgrade a couple of weeks ago, but usually run with alerts off except probably if I go to a strange / unknown county. I will now turn mine on and see if they work around my local area. ! ;)
the fix was a update to the software media nav fixed it so i just updated it by fingerprint ect that was last year please do check yours as they are saying everything is fine but i also notice i have no speed limits on display as well exept for motorways

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I aslo have no speed cam warnings even though I have alert point warnings turned on (Germany)
have you also checked is speed limits are on display as mine are missing almost like even though alerts are on media nav is acting like they are turned off ?? if yours is playing up contact support and also tell them its same in uk please as they acting like nothing is wrong

·
Registered
641 Posts
If GPS was more accurate and reliable the speed limiter could interoperate with the known speed limit and such warnings would be unnecessary.

Once the European constellation of satellites go live that's expected to be one of the applications.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fingers crossed and keep the right foot up till it's sorted. :-D;-):)
i try not to speed but you know how they hide some cams and also the speed limit warning signs not working just pissed as each time they update the maps something goes wrong and charge you £57 for the privilege and so far are not admitting there is a problem

·
Registered
398 Posts
Speed limit warning works fine. I agree that the update process is not bomb proof. I had a problem with the USB stick failing to initialise when installing the new maps and had to put the stick back into the PC and recopy the maps to get it to work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speed limit warning works fine. I agree that the update process is not bomb proof. I had a problem with the USB stick failing to initialise when installing the new maps and had to put the stick back into the PC and recopy the maps to get it to work.
yea but as we could buy tom tom for only a few pounds or euros more and get free map updates for life its a very poor service especially as they dont want to admit there could be a problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE this is last email i received from support today

Dear Mr. Dagley,

Thank you for your emails with all the information. It may well be that there is something happening to these speed cameras with the new map. Currently you are the only case we have logged with this issue. And it is the first time we've been made aware of it. The developers of the Media Nav, their technicians for the moment have advised to check the content information on the map producers webpage, which is http://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/
they have also said that the 2 camera positions that you sent through are not shown nor listed on the map as existent.

I will send the technicians another email this morning with the result of your findings. And as soon as I have a response from them I will contact you.

The two cameras have been there for over 10 years and are still there and also used to be on old map so something is seriously wrong with there tec guys i have asked them if there is a way of resetting the media nav then re installing maps ect but they keep ignoring that part

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have been saying this ever since I got my stepway,(2yrs ago), do they live in a cave, you can buy a new tomtom with life time updates for the price they want for just ONE map update, they should also take a look at todays mobile phones, they might learn that most have google maps, that offer FREE sat navigation, (and actually it's very good)

Personally I will not be held to ransom by Dacia/Renault, OK it's great to have an inbuilt system with no trailing wires etc, but at what cost???. Sorry not for me I will never be doing map updates.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The map update policy is simply outrageous. I had the latest map on my medianav when it was new at the end of December and when the "new" map was released in May I was out of the free upgrade period and Dacia told me to jog on when I queried this. As said, the updates are very expensive.

It is then exasperated by the fact that the mapping parent company offer 4 free updates per year, but when I contacted them they just refer you back to Dacia. Add in that the firmware of the system is hobbled, it seems pretty pointless in actually having a meadinav.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The developers of the Media Nav, their technicians for the moment have advised to check the content information on the map producers webpage, which is http://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/

I can't believe that the maps they provide for their system are edited by volunteers (us) and then they have the nerve to charge for them. I have contributed to the OSM project but at least I get the map updates free of charge (a new map every month).

I have checked the map for my area and there are no speed cameras on the map at all (I know of at least 2 in my immediate area that have been there for at least the last 6 years).

Usually the speed cameras are just POI's on the map and so are loaded in addition to the map so it would seem that they have stopped supplying the speed camera poi's with the new updates (it is illegal in some European countries to have a device that warns of speed cameras.

I read somewhere that the maps are supplied by Navteq which it seems is now owned by Here Maps (Nokia). They supply a separate download called risk zones for which you have to pay extra. See this web site for Citroen and here maps.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-CitroenEurope-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Static;pgid=Mh1kG3vJrItSR0ix3NFasOvc0000UZOgAVbc;sid=AgQ69vjFDkw49q1H85V-_vLPBZXLFf9U8-c9Zwkm?&Page=SupportPage2&.

There is lots more information if you google Navteq and Here Maps

·
Registered
398 Posts
Something else, Here Maps has an android app on the playstore which has offline maps (no data connection needed) and is free, with free map updates :wacko:.

Someone somewhere is making a lot of money out of this.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Renault Carminat used Navtec maps, Medianav uses iGo maps. If you have registered with medianav your log in actually works on the iGo Naviextras site:

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal

Dacia/Renauly have obviously specifically requested iGo NOT to provide free map updates. If they had made it a £70-£80 lifetime map update I would think it very cheeky, but £80 per update is outrageous! :angry:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts