UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have done 5000 miles in my Duster now and after a god start showing over 55 miles per gallon, these days she always seems happy at around 46 or 47. I find this odd because my Qashqai had the same engine and did around 60MPG, my Megane sports tourer with same engine 68MPG, I`m disappointed.

Been reading up on chipping or mapping just wondered if it could work miracles?

Its all new stuff to me any body know if it`s a waste of time or worth trying, and prices, I`ve seen many at around £300, but not sure if there are different types or what, any ideas on this poor fuel consumption with this same engine??

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
If you're happy with the performance otherwise I'd leave it, it would take a long time to claw back £300 on fuel once mapped.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Down to 42.7mpg now after a two hour each way trip up and down the M6 @ 90 mph.

Why is it so different to the Qashqai with same engine and lighter body?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Down to 42.7mpg now after a two hour each way trip up and down the M6 @ 90 mph.

Why is it so different to the Qashqai with same engine and lighter body?
I think the clue might be at the end of your first sentence ;) Try sticking to 60-70 and see what happens...

·
Registered
109 Posts
@Royale431.

I have tried this and below 50mph I can get 53 mpg ish maybe a tad more but 50 mph all day up and down the motorway, is not much use to me. 60 and 70 mph seems to return 46 to 47 mpg

That's why I don`t even try now, might as well lose a couple of mpg and gain an hour on a journey.

Still doesn`t say why my Qashqai was better with same engine same driving habits?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
@Royale431.

I have tried this and below 50mph I can get 53 mpg ish maybe a tad more but 50 mph all day up and down the motorway, is not much use to me. 60 and 70 mph seems to return 46 to 47 mpg

That's why I don`t even try now, might as well lose a couple of mpg and gain an hour on a journey.

Still doesn`t say why my Qashqai was better with same engine same driving habits?
Dunno... Aerodynamics, maybe.

But if you really feel you need to go everywhere at 90, I reckon you have to expect consumption to suffer. Mid 40s MPG doesn't sound ridiculous for thrashing an SUV...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Royale431,

Yes I agree with you when thrashing her, happy ish with that.

But in normal daily use, driving economically it`s not a lot better,

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Going by members' posted MPG figures, there does seem to be rather a wide gap between best and worst. Some are consistently getting high 40s to very low 50s with 4x4s, yet others are seeing below 40 in 4x2s.

I wonder if there's any way you could obtain a comparison of the mapping for the Duster and Qashqai - maybe that would shed some light?

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I drive a tracked van most days so am stuck at ~50mph, this carries over into my car driving so it might explain my reasonable mpg figures.

That said driving at 90mph and complaining about fuel consumption is plain daft. There will be many reasons why the Duster is not as economical as the Qashqai at those speeds and I'd have thought aerodynamics, tyres and weight would probably have more effect than engine tuning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don`t make a habit of driving at 90mph, but I am trying to check the MPG and my conclusion now is, at any speed it`s not as good as other new cars.

I feel sure that it should be better, I am going to get advice.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
That makes sense Westy, if you have doubts get them checked or you'll not be happy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
westy, hook your car up to the torque app and study your throttle openings and acceleration rates, please don't take this the wrong way, but I bet you use a lot of throttle and hard acceleration, with modern engines that style kills MPG; its the acceleration that does the most damage.

A few pounds on the app and the interface will give you more valuable information than a chipping or mapping ever will.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
sorry officer, I was checking my fuel consumption :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts