UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Duster 2021
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, apologies if it's been answered elsewhere.

Took my Duster over to France a couple of weeks ago - as soon as I hit the continent the Nav got very very confused and became pointless. I presume I'd need to purchase another map to go with, so my query is:

Is it better to purchase the France & Monaco one, or the Western Europe one? If I bought Western Europe, does that lose a level of detail from a country specific one?

Or is there a way of upgrading Android Auto to go wirelessly rather than with a cable (which feels messy on a long drive), in which case I could use Waze/Google Maps etc?

Many thanks in advance for any tips or experiences.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I doubt the detail will be any different on the France/Monaco map, it's just cheaper as it covers less countries than the Western Europe one. I can't comment on the wireless Android Auto issue but if you only plan to drive in France when in the EU I'd go for the France/Monaco version.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m not fully up to speed on the Duster as I have a Stepway Prestige Mk3 however there are some things you can check to see if Android Auto might work with your cars.

• Check the Nav units have a wireless option in the settings.
  • Check your mobile phone’s wireless settings it works best with phones that have both 2.5 and 5 Ghz Wi-Fi connections.
  • Also it works best with phones that have Android version 10 upwards. 11 and beyond have Android Auto built in whereas the lower versions have an app and the app can be a bit hit and miss to set up.
  • If you use Google maps you will need a data allowance on your phone so it can download traffic updates on the move. Be very careful of data roaming charges now we are out of the EU. The maps you can often download from Wi-Fi at home before you leave.
  • You can keep the phone in your pocket (breast pocket works best as it is closer to the window for the GPS signal) but you may get dropouts. I suggest keep it in a cradle if you can.
  • You may need to set some apps to 'Auto Start' in your phone settings or you will get error messages.
  • That’s about all I can think of for the moment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you want the latest Dacia (Renault) maps for MediaNav 3 they are free here.
However the site is in French, but it is easily translated.
I updated mine following the method outlined on that page, and everything is still in English on my system.
Just be sure to exactly follow the instructions.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway II, 1977 MGB Roadster
426 Posts
Sorry about that, I was referring to translating the page of instructions, wasn’t aware that it would affect the download. :(

I never use Google translate - imo there are others that are better. I avoid anything Google like the plague.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you want the latest Dacia (Renault) maps for MediaNav 3 they are free here.
However the site is in French, but it is easily translated.
I updated mine following the method outlined on that page, and everything is still in English on my system.
Just be sure to exactly follow the instructions.
Hi, what version of Media Nav do you have? Mine is 6.0.9.6 but in the tutorial it says it is for version 1.0. ...

Thank You

·
Registered
38 Posts
Back to the question, can wireless android auto be added? Quick answer is no, longer answer is maybe.
The media nav may have wireless built in already. If it hasn't then it can't be added to the media nav. Believe me, Dacia have taken mine apart and tried. But there are devices you can plug into the USB which can wirelessly connect to your phone. This is one of the products AAWireless

I decided against getting one of these because of 1 issue. Using wireless drains your phone battery so you have to plug it in to charge on big journeys anyway so why not plug it in directly.

For driving in Europe I've got a garmin sat nav. Has lifetime Europe updates so no need to worry about mobile data charges through phone and cost less that one annual update from Dacia. It sits on top of the media display in a nice indent and held in place with a bit of blue tac that's out of site. A bit over the top having a separate sat nav but I do worry in case my phone data cap kicks in or loose signal whilst in Europe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts