UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use tom tom but wondered how good the in-built sat nav is in the Laureate version.

Can you put in postcodes.

If for example I wanted to go to Alton Towers in Derbyshire could I put in ST10 4DB and it take me there.

or would I search by looking for Alton Towers or Derbyshire?

·
Registered
756 Posts
It does not have full postcode input, AB12 7 would be all you can put in then the road, I found this annoying to start with but soon learnt to get the road details also, I travel all over the UK daily and it's not made my life a misery, it's other features out weigh this, great unit for the price TBH, also saves the chance of a break in

·
Registered
346 Posts
It does not have full postcode input, AB12 7 would be all you can put in then the road, I found this annoying to start with but soon learnt to get the road details also, I travel all over the UK daily and it's not made my life a misery, it's other features out weigh this, great unit for the price TBH, also saves the chance of a break in
why does it save chance of break in? Going to Paris next year can't believe its not europe maps without upgrading for £90

Was also thinking of retro fitting rear camera but don't know if the media nav has any composite video feeds on the rear of unit?

Does it show fast food restaurants!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes to the fast food!!

I meant on the breaking in that you don't have to remove the mount and clean the windscreen etc

Also the Bluetooth system is decent and iPod player works very well, don't think there is a camera feed as there is no video playback facility, if your anywhere near Lincolnshire your more than welcome to come and play with the unit!!

The maps is a bit steep I agree and mAy make the tomtom more attractive cost wise.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Id wait until someone has to download a media nav upgrade. We could have a seperate forum thread for this. Future upgrades could be linked for download especually for those people who are outside of the free subscription period. Once the files downloaded whos to say how many times it can be used and by whom. If your going to keep your laureate then why are you restricted to only a short term upgrae subscription. External units I can understand but fsctory fitted systems should be unrestricted.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I will update the maps when I get the car, but there is no way I will pay the extortionate prices being asked by renault/dacia I believe it's about £70/£80.
Don'they realise you can buy a brand new satnav for about 30/40 more with lifetime updates, and you can also use it on a bike or walking. Also has no one told them that most smart phones have equally as good satnav apps for free. I used to pay £20 for tomtom updates, but stopped that now I have an android phone.
Yes it's great to have the satnav neatly set in the dash, but the prices they want amount to blackmail.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
the first update its free upon registragion on the nav software site (not dacia)

after that one u will be ask to pay for each upgrade by the nav software company (not dacia)

·
Registered
535 Posts
the first update its free upon registragion on the nav software site (not dacia)

after that one u will be ask to pay for each upgrade by the nav software company (not dacia)
It's free on the first 60 days, as I know, so you can update as many times as you want in that period but the good news is that firmware and map updates are only 1 or 2 a year, so not that often.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah updated mine twice so far
They should have given europe maps for less money, i can buy a brand new sat nav for £90 with europe maps

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my Stepway early July and can confirm you have a 3 month period to update the maps. The UK maps I had (before updating) were 2011! The latest UK map update is Q4 2012. I completely agree the asking price for upgrades and/or Europe maps are a rip off. But the medianav is used in many brands of car, so the company that provides the maps are external to Dacia.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm afraid will not be held to ransom and pay £70-£90 for map updates when I can buy a brand new satnav with life time updates for about the same price or there abouts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Dacia Lodgy with MediaNav and I can confirm that you can update it after registration during 90 days. I bought the car in june 2013 and all maps and poi files etc. was from 2011! After my first update the maps and poi-files went to 2012/Q4. Also the firmware of MediaNav updated from 2.09 to 3.01.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
For those of tou that have a media nav already , What size of USB stick is required to update the media nav system? Cheers in advance

·
Registered
153 Posts
So is the update literally one massive file? i.e. could someone zip this up and email/upload it? or let's say I register and sign up. Could I then post the USB to somebody to update theirs?

·
Registered
535 Posts
So is the update literally one massive file? i.e. could someone zip this up and email/upload it? or let's say I register and sign up. Could I then post the USB to somebody to update theirs?
But the updates are free, you can get them yourself. It was said that that after 90 or 60 days you'll have to pay for the updates but I don't know if it's true, because I talked to somebody who has a Lodgy bought a year ago and still can make the updates free.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You have to upload all the data from the medianav to a empty memory stick ,then plug it in to your laptop that you downloaded the medianav software to.not sure if there is security that only allows any new data to be used with the registered medianav.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts