UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
just fitted a reverse camera to my phase 2 Duster and wired it up through media nav using pins 3, 10 and 22.
I used a CD ROM audio able which has 3 thin wires into a black connector. I cut off the connector and the remaining metal "tulip" connectors simply pushed into the white connector at the back of the media nav. The other end I soldered to a female video connector from Maplins.
I hard wired to the camera which I've actually inserted into the rear bumper, black piece centre. The camera is a NTSC CCD camera so is good quality day and night.
I wired the trigger wire to the reverse wire as well as the power for the camera and the black wire to earth.

I expected to have to install Menavrus but amazingly I put the car into reverse and voila the reverse image popped up on the media nav screen along with a reversing guide. So no need to install Menavrus ( which I have a copy of, but it is not worth installing as you cannot update official maps with it - I know I tried).

Pictures to follow (to dark now). anyway the installation looks OE especially not having to use another screen. The image pops up instantly I put the car into reverse and when put into neutral or first then disappears after a few seconds.

I could have used the number plate light version but having purchased 3 versions none fitted very well, the wiring was tricky and the camera not as good. The camera I've installed is small, around 18.5 mm diameter and sits flush.

Simon

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow! If you could do a detailed step by step write up with links to the camera you bought etc I would deffo do this!

Amazing the Dacia Medianav has got the function underneath its skin!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll try and write a step by step guide. I originally installed Menavrus but found you couldn't update maps with it installed so I reloaded the original operating system. I was glad I didn't need to use it for the reverse camera. Media nav is capable of showing videos and showing gauges but that was with Menavrus and I'm not bothered about those things. I have extra gauges with obd app in any case.
The good thing with this camera is that it has a 170 degree angle and the guide is accurate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cost £19.99 + p&p for camera ( UK) supplied. Around £2.00 for CD ROM lead and 75p for Maplins video connector. I used heat shrink to cover power and video at rear of car, only a few pence. A few other bits and pieces. Obviously if you paid someone to do it labour would be the most expensive aspect but I reckon on around 1 hour once you know what your doing. No doubt the most difficult part was tapping into existing connector on the media nav as you have to carefully prize the lock bit out then feed the wire connectors in. The camera has to support NTSC not PAL. The reversing light provides enough light for CCD at night.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm liking the set up. :)

I've installed a couple of systems before and the only thing which bothers me is the location of the camera. Whilst a no brainer for not drilling into metal bodywork, it looks like it's in a position where it will get constantly dirty from road spray.

I had this issue on a VW T5 where I mounted it above the number plate (I just had to remember to wipe it regularly!) and wondered whether this position suffered the same fate?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes know what u mean but used it now for a few days in the wet and dirty British roads and still fine. I don't even have rear mud flaps yet.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I have the same/similar camera in the bumper of my Duster and it works like a charm. Has a slight tendency to rotate itself clockwise over time though, probably because it's a push fit and not screwed in tight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hole saw was actually 18.5 mm and the camera was a very tight fit so it won't actually rotate. What I wanted to achieve with this was the media nav being used as a screen and therefore looking oe. I hate wires dangling all over the place, but then I'm a bit ocd about tidyness. I may install 2 Matt black ultrasonic sensors so it looks like a 3 sensor reverse set up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cost £19.99 + p&p for camera ( UK) supplied. Around £2.00 for CD ROM lead and 75p for Maplins video connector. I used heat shrink to cover power and video at rear of car, only a few pence. A few other bits and pieces. Obviously if you paid someone to do it labour would be the most expensive aspect but I reckon on around 1 hour once you know what your doing. No doubt the most difficult part was tapping into existing connector on the media nav as you have to carefully prize the lock bit out then feed the wire connectors in. The camera has to support NTSC not PAL. The reversing light provides enough light for CCD at night.
You have done amazing job here. Its a shame that Dacia is not putting these small upgrades. Could you please point to the link from where you purchased your camera and how did you run the wires from rear all the way to medianav, I am sure hiding the wires must be very difficult job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

That's part of the fun with the Duster, you can modify fairly easily so I saw it as a starter package that I could add to as I went along.

Not sure if the following link will work, this is the camera. Great quality for the money, comes with hole drill and wiring.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161558232222

I fed the wire along the route of the tow bar and up through the rubber grommet inside car. I stripped the inside near side rear panel and fed wire under carpet, easy to do on the Duster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi

That's part of the fun with the Duster, you can modify fairly easily so I saw it as a starter package that I could add to as I went along.

Not sure if the following link will work, this is the camera. Great quality for the money, comes with hole drill and wiring.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161558232222

I fed the wire along the route of the tow bar and up through the rubber grommet inside car. I stripped the inside near side rear panel and fed wire under carpet, easy to do on the Duster.
Hi,

Thanks. I am thinking of buying this camera as it is does not involve drilling

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Number-plate-Camera-For-Dacia-Duster-UK-Seller-/351339386682?

I have few doubts, in the picture posted above I see 3 wires ( Red, Black and White) and the camera has only two wires red and black. From where is this white wire coming from ?

I also see that camera which you used has male plugs, did you cut them off and attached the wire ends in Media Nav

Finally from where you are drawing power for the camera.

Would it be too much if I ask you to draw a circuit diagram on a paper and post the picture ?

Regards

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Number-plate-Camera-For-Dacia-Duster-UK-Seller-/351339386682?

I have few doubts, in the picture posted above I see 3 wires ( Red, Black and White) and the camera has only two wires red and black. From where is this white wire coming from ?

I also see that camera which you used has male plugs, did you cut them off and attached the wire ends in Media Nav

Would it be too much if I ask you to draw a circuit diagram on a paper and post the picture ?

Regards
This is the route I want to go down. Will be keeping an eye! Please keep me posted!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi,

Regards
I think that the red and black wires are the camera 12 volt supply from the Media unit and the White wire may be connected to the reverse lamp to signal the Media unit when you have engaged reverse.
I stand corrected if this is not the case.

Billyblue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok the White wire is called the trigger wire, this is connected to reverse along with power supply to power camera. This is what triggers media nav to rear camera view mode. The black wire is negative the red positive and are for the video input.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's brilliant, I wouldnt be technically minded enough to do it myself but the guide would be very useful. What were the total costings? I'd be happy to pay up to about £75 to have someone supply and fit it lol
I'd be happy to pay up to about £75 to have someone supply and fit it as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok the White wire is called the trigger wire, this is connected to reverse along with power supply to power camera. This is what triggers media nav to rear camera view mode. The black wire is negative the red positive and are for the video input.
Hi Simon, Thanks. Trigger wire (White) is connected to + or - of the power as power has two ends. Where did you connect the remaining end of power cable assuming one end is connected to Trigger wire/reverse wire.

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spot on, I used the wiring from my dedicated tow bar wiring but it doesn't matter. Light cluster near side .
Dacia recommend connections using strip and solder technique but you could use tap in connectors, the best one is posi tap, red version.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts