UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new Duster out today on a short two hour road trip to a village north of Cali where a friend of mine and Godson live. Have wracked up a whopping 900 kilometers. On the main highway it was accurate but when I turned off to head up a paved road to his village the map went black with nothing showing but the arrow. So it was all the way to the village and still no map when I arrived there. This was very disappointing because I was looking forward to my godson being able to watch the map and moving arrow as we drove around the village. Being ten years old he is enthralled with technology of course. After the visit I turned the map on again and low and behold the map showing my location appeared. I tried driving around the village a bit and the map had a hard time keeping up switching right then left then reversing trying to get it's bearings as I turned through the village streets. I am quite disappointed. If this were El Salvador or some other small country the car is exported to I could be forgiving. But it's Colombia where the car is assembled for heaven's sake. Bummer!

·
Registered
218 Posts
In my town we got a new road built 2 years ago, its a big road outside the town. My medianav show as im driving in the middle of nowhere when i drive on that road. Same thing the other day when we were driving on the countryside.. the medianav was black and it said "nameless road". The handheld gps knew where we were... kinda let down really.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Navteq maps are the company responsible for TomTom mapping have a word with them. Certainly there are many villages missing from TomTom mapping here in turkey its a bit annoying but not a show stopper. l doubt there is anything Dacia can do about it, as l have said previously the smart money goes with the classic radio and a n others satnav.

(TomTom are the maps the medianav system uses)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just compared navteq with tomtom and they're identical - missing the odd village here and there, try navfree android app the maps seem to be more comphrehensive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I suggest you should consider to buy the russian alternative firmware for your Medianav called Menavrus.

With this you can use many other better navigation programs instead of Medianav standard Igo primo, as Igo8.3, Navitel8.5 and 7Ways. Also this firmware enables videos to be displayed on Medianav screen and many more additional features.

Link to Mevarus:

http://www.menavrus.com/

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
The only way to find out is try it. Failing that if you have an Android phone there are good satnav apps for it that you can try out, I use CoPilot in the UK and it's very good but I can't speak for it's mapping of Columbia.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
i have i-go as sat nav on my phone :D its brilliant !!!!
especially navigating around glasgow when i go over...without it i wouldnt have a clue !!
The bloke inside it...i call him Jeeves...hasnt got me lost yet :D

Silvery silver is the shiniest !

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem with the Stepway Sat Nav in UK is that it doesn't connect to Trafficmaster. I can find my way on a long run using an old fashioned map if need be. The good thing about my old TomTom Sat Nav was that it told me if there was a major hold up ahead on my route and redirected me to another route. With the LG Sat Nav you don't know about a hold up until you are in it and then if you are on a motorway it's too late. I now use my old TomTom instead of the built in Sat Nav. To me this means that the built in one is useless.

DCS

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
To be fair it would need 3g to be able to do that and it's an expensive option in a car media unit . In car sat nav for all makes is notoriously clunky and often a rip off but most people though only need the basic find my way functions so it doesn't matter. If you want the best sat nav you have to go with a standalone unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts