UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone else find the MediaNav navigation very "quirky" in choice of routes? Is there a way to make it chose a "sensible" route? Despite trying FAST, ECO etc on a recent trip to N.Wales the SatNav sent us on questionable routes several times.

It seems to think that any B or unclassified road under national speed limit will be travelled at 70mph and so chose these rather than a slightly further route on 'better' roads. Also, we were sent on very steep and narrow tracks which were virtually parallel to decent roads.

I checked routes with NaviGon on my iPhone afterwards and this exercised 'common sense'. I have to say at present I'm very disappointed with the navigation as it's not usable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the mapping that's the problem. It's the algorithm that choses roads. Why select a series of un-numbered B roads when a decent road is 50m away

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, when challenged the satnav sometimes sulks, but no worse than a poor map-reader using an inadequate road atlas.

Local knowledge of black spots, hold-ups, road works, accidents, rat runs etc will always beat the autocue. The machine is the servant, not the master and I can live with that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, when challenged the satnav sometimes sulks, but no worse than a poor map-reader using an inadequate road atlas.

Local knowledge of black spots, hold-ups, road works, accidents, rat runs etc will always beat the autocue. The machine is the servant, not the master and I can live with that.
Hi yes, I agree. A SatNav should be an aid rather than taken as 100% guidance. My point is though that the software on a mobile phone is far superior in it's function to that in the MediaNav. Seeing as a SatNav is now marketed as a 'map free total solution' it's disappointing that it falls short, not in the mapping but in the core algorithm used.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Renault without doubt have dicked around with the software, which would explain why the parent company of the mapping software are now using Q2 2015 maps whilst we are stuck with Q2 2014 maps! Renault seem to be able to spend money developing the MediaNav to prevent user hacks but not to invest in the actual user experience. I'm now even beginning to loathe the MediaNav. :angry:

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
It's taken me on some truly bizarre routes when I've realised where it was going.

Will most certainly be reviewing the plan before following from now on.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Can you tell us were to find the speed indicator on screen Janette. Thanks.
It 'pings' when you go over the speed limit, that's when you can check your speedo.

I haven't actually found the actual speed traveling displayed on the screen, but that dosen't mean it's not available somewhere !! ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is there anyway of turning off the sound that accompanies the speed camera warning? The racket that ensues when approaching a camera is terrible and even distorts the music. I want to speed up just to shut it up, not a defence in court though!

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Is there anyway of turning off the sound that accompanies the speed camera warning? The racket that ensues when approaching a camera is terrible and even distorts the music. I want to speed up just to shut it up, not a defence in court though!
It's in the menu somewhere ! I succeeded in turning mine off, somehow !! ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't remember how I did it but I turned the sound off for the speed cameras which then lost me the speed the car was actually doing . Ours also flags up all petrol stations near motorway junctions

1 - 18 of 18 Posts