UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you seem to have done so well getting Dacia to admit to problems with the Duster rust issue, maybe worth raising the Stepway incorrect sized spare wheel issue with them?

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took up the spare wheel issue with my dealer (Arnold Clark in Grangemouth). I was particularly annoyed as the guy there who sold me my Stepway told me I would be getting a full-size spare wheel and not a space-saver, which I assumed (quite reasonably) would be a wheel matching the others on the car with no restriction on its use.

When I took a look in the car after I got it and found it was a 15" wheel with a "Max Speed 50mph/80kph" sticker on it, I was pretty unhappy. I called the dealer and they said there was nothing they could do as it was a decision made by Dacia UK in February, that all Stepways would in future have a 15" spare. I was particularly annoyed by the dealer attempting to wheedle his way out of this by saying that technically it was a full-size spare because it wasn't a space-saver, and it took extensive arguing for him to acknowledge that it may be a full-size wheel but it wasn't the same as the others on the car and was functionally the same as a space-saver, therefore not what I reasonably expected to have paid for. After talking to his manager, he ordered a 16" wheel for me, which arrived after a couple of weeks and was then swapped over.

So...yeah...I think Dacia have made a very, very bad decision on this, but I was particularly annoyed at my dealers' initial unwillingness to admit I'd been somewhat misled over the thing. Still, got there in the end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I only got half a resolution really, my dealer paid for the steel wheel, I had to buy the tyre.
It took far more effort and grief than it should have done to get it sorted for me, and Dacia have made a really dumb decision here. :( It's the sort of thing that damages their low-cost, value-for-money image and will make people think they're buying a shoddy piece of cr*p, when the reality is very different. I love the car, and this is the only negative experience I've had with it so far.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Complained to both dealer and customer service, no movement at all. Indeed a lot of falsehoods along the way "it's the same diameter with that tyre on it" which is false, and "its perfectly safe for long distances" which is false, which they backed down on but no sense from them at all.

I bought my own correct size wheel and tyre, sold the one they gave, and am considerably down financially.

Not the way to conduct business.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have bought new cars with space saver spares before now, and been perfectly happy. There are however a few differences:

1 I knew I was getting a space saver at the point I placed the order, it was openly advertised in the brochures, on the makers internet site, and accurately described by the sales folk at the dealership.

2 The wheels and tyres were genuine, purpose designed, space savers, the same diameter as the road wheels, although a little thinner, and much lighter and therefore helped save fuel by reducing weight while in the boot.

3 At all points through the sales and aftersales process the dealerships and makers were truthful and genuine, and not making up fairy stories.

4 The maker had not changed from supplying a genuine full size spare to another sized wheel leaving anyone doing their research with a surprise.

As for "Try and negotiate a big discount off" relationship with dealer has pretty much broken down due to the catalogue of lies and bad behaviour on their side. Customer services not much better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dumb blonde here, SORRY. I paid the £95 for spare wheel when I bought the car. Is there a technical way to check the spare or is it purely looking at/reading the tyre??? Again sorry, I do try to be as savvy as possible

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
324 Posts
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but just for my own education:

a space saver wheel is designed to be used at 50mph or less, and is thinner and lighter than a standard tyre, I get that.

a completely different size wheel - is that actually dangerous? Or damaging to the suspension or something?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, i found the other thread but I'm still not enlightened as to whether a different size wheel is safe or not though

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
The 15 inch spare is all stickered up as a space saver would be ie 50 mph limit, the rolling radius is fractionally different, the 15 inch would do the job and 'get you to a tyre dealer' so that you can get a new tyre on the 16 inch rim.

My issue is two fold;

Safety wise - the car will handle differently, even at low speed if you needed to make an emergency stop, hence my advice to ONLY fit it to the rear of the car, if you puncture a front tyre I would recommend fitting the 15 to the rear first and using the good rear on the front to replace the puncture (obviously not if your at the side of a fast road / motorway, as you want to be off the road ASAP, so I would fit the 15 inch to the front but change immediately at the next junction/services)

Cost wise - If you are out and about you have no control what tyre you will be able to get to replace your punctured tyre, you could end up with a mismatched tyre and have to pay well over the odds (20% more) from KwikFit etc etc

Oh yeah and from a vanity point of view........it looks sh*t with an odd wheel ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
CFC, you can check the markings on the tyre wall

205/55 R16 H (91) is what should be on your (16 inch) road wheels, if the spare is the same the tyre on the spare wheel will read the same

lots of people have recently been given 185/65 R15 88H on 15 inch wheel as the spare.

the functionality of having a different size spare wheel is completely different

16 inch spare:

if you are driving a long distance, say London to Glasgow and have a flat tyre half way with a 16 inch spare you will be able to continue your journey normally at normal speeds and get the flat tyre replaced when you arrive. If the road wheel itself is damaged as part of the incident you will still be able to complete your journey normally. You can buy a new tyre in slow time and shop around for the best price.

If you have the 15 inch spare then you are limited to 50 mph speed, handling will be signifincantly compromised, and you will have little alternative but to head for the nearest tyre dealer and buy a new tyre for your 16 inch wheel. You will be buying a new tyre under pressure and will not be able to shop around, likely you will not get a good price. If the wheel itself was damaged and you need a new wheel as well as tyre, then guess what they take at least 3 days to arrive during which you are limited to 50 mph (and its arguable whether it would be legal to drive like that for 3 days, spare is just to get you to place of safety or tyre dealer).

15 inch wheel and tyre is diameter 621 mm, 16 inch wheel and tyre is diameter 632 mm, so very much not legal for normal use on the same axle.

As I said before a proper space saver would be significantly less weight than the normal road wheel, and balance the negatives out with fuel savings in normal use (in the boot) due to lower weight. The 15 inch wheel Dacia are supplying is pretty close to the weight of the normal 16 inch road wheel, so no justification along those lines possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have just checked my spare wheel and tyre and it is a full size one, however it has got a 80km speed sticker on it, anyone explain that one. Also the brochure the dealer gave me said it had tinted windows which I don't have. Anyone else the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Don't exceed 80km that's 50mph in our money
I wouldn't worry too much about space savers, there was a Guy at my gym that had a Ford probe, and for as long as I can remember he had one of those thin small wheels on his back wheel. They are only a get me home.
think I've only ever had one puncture in my life, and here's the wheel

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts