UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi all,

I've written a program to allow people to automatically order their MP3's into a library order (in case they aren't already and in case you want them to be).

The program does this via the ID3 tags in the MP3 file itself. If you don't know what a ID3 tag is then Right Click your MP3 file, Choose Properties and then head over to the Details tab (see below)

id3.png

You can see the Title of this track it "Being Boiled (2003 - Remaster)" the Artist is "The Human League" and the Album it's on is "Original Remixes & Rarities". However the name of the MP3 file itself is a rather long and bonkers "B001I0TZYI_(disc_1)_01_-_Being_Boiled_(2003_-_Remaster).mp3"

So what will this program do?

It will copy your existing MP3's in a new folder structure based on the info in the ID3 tag. In this case

The_Human_League

Original_Remixes_&_Rarities

It will also rename the file itself to be the same as the title tag

Being_Boiled_(2003_-_Remaster).mp3

Optionally it can also put all the Artists together in an Initial folder, in this example H for Human (not T for The)

files.png

Use of

prog.png

Set the Library Source to where your current MP3's are located

Set the Library Destination to where your want the new library to be (I'd suggest not your USB as it might take a while to copy the files)

If you want Artists in an Initial Folder tick the "Create Initial Folders" check box

Hit Start...thats it!

If you like the results then copy the Destination folder to your USB. If you don't like it then delete the Destination folder (and contents), they are just copies of your original files!

You can download the installation pack here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24919268/MP3Librarysetup.zip

Prerequisites

Windows 7 or 8 (Sorry Mac peeps)

.NET 4.0 or higher

FAQ

Q. Do I need to use this?

A. Up to you, do you want your library organised as above?

Q. What about "Various Artists" albums?

A. They will appear under Various Artist (or Various) but will retain their album

various.png

Q. I ripped all my MP3's from extisting CD's and they don't have ID3 tags!

A. Unlucky, iTunes will sometimes fix this for you

Q. If I don't like this can I undo?

A. The program doesn't overwrite any files. You point it to your Source (original mp3) and in the Destination Folder will be created a brand new Library leaving your existing mp3/library alone. No harm done!

Q. Is it virus free

A. There are no viruses on my machine!

Q. Do you give any guarantees with this software?

A. I can't see it doing any damage but to cross the legal I's and T's it's up to you if you want to use it

Q. Ha! I don't know you! I'm not trusting your dodgy software!

A. Fair enough (face..bothered)

Q. What support do you offer?

A. Limited. Post on here is you have a question. It you want a new feature post but I can't promise if I don't have time

MODERATORS:

If this program is against any rules please feel free to delete this post. If the post is OK but your don't want the DaciaForum logo in the program PM me and I'll remove (just thought you'd get a bit of advertising from it).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Licence Conditions

This is provided as freeware. You can redistribute this software as long as you:

1) Do not claim credit for writing it

2) Do not charge money for providing it or make any profit from the distribution from it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
New version 1.1 beta. Use link in original post

If selected the program will also build (after first copying) a WPL Playlist containing all your tracks.

prog1-1.png

Simply put a tick in the check box before clicking Start button. Although I originally said don't choose the USB drive as the destination with this option ticked you have to (so don't point it to a location of your Hard Drive and then manual copy the files to your USB cos the playlist won't work).

The best approach would be to copy all your USB contents to a temp folder on your hard drvie (eg C:\temp_usb) and then delete everything from your USB. Then run this program selecting C:\temp_usb as the source and E:\ (if that's your USB) as the destination.

What does it do?

After the program has copied all your mp3's to your USB drive (see original post for details and instructions) the software will create a new folder called Playlists. In here will be a file called All_Tracks.wpl.

When you're in your lovely Dacia with the USB in the MediaNav instead of navigating to your chosen folder instead go to the Playlists folder and choose the All_Tracks.wpl playlist. You will then see displayed on your MediaNav screen a list of all the tracks on your USB. The tracks on this playlist will shuffle (if you have shuffle feature enabled on your MediaNav), so this gets around the problem of shuffle only shuffling tracks in the folder rather than the whole contents of the USB! :D

This might also help those who have seen the issue with MediaNav not displaying all the files on their USB (not tested though).

I will be extending the software in future to allow you to automatically create Playlists for each album and for individual artists (this should allow a complete shufflable playlist of a single artist even if their tracks are on different albums). I might also look into making playlists without the copying part (so you can manually copy mp3's in whatever way you do now but this software will make all your playlists for you...new features = more time so don't hold your breath you might go as blue as my Steppy!)

Bug Fixes

Now fixes any invalid characters in file paths and names

General code tidy

Any problems post here or PM me. If you do use and and find it useful please post and say!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As demonstrated on the MediaNav

mn_1.jpg

mn_2.jpg

mn_3.jpg

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well done!

If you don't have ID3 tags you can download AUDACITY it will allow you edit them and do lots of other things to music files - get it here

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

it will also allow you to make a playlist into one big mp3 file - the longest we use is around 1 hour of music on 1 file - which you can organise with the program above.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. Knowing people use and find it useful makes it easier to justify the time to improve it.

Already working on v2 which will give more features to help control, organise your mp3 library. I'll release more info near the time of release.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excellent program. Sorted out my music in a flash (no pun intended!). After weeks of frustration searching for tracks I can now easily find any artist and any song very easily.No more CD cases cluttering up the car! Recommended

·
Registered
231 Posts
New version 1.1 beta. Use link in original post

If selected the program will also build (after first copying) a WPL Playlist containing all your tracks.

prog1-1.png

Simply put a tick in the check box before clicking Start button. Although I originally said don't choose the USB drive as the destination with this option ticked you have to (so don't point it to a location of your Hard Drive and then manual copy the files to your USB cos the playlist won't work).

The best approach would be to copy all your USB contents to a temp folder on your hard drvie (eg C:\temp_usb) and then delete everything from your USB. Then run this program selecting C:\temp_usb as the source and E:\ (if that's your USB) as the destination.

What does it do?

After the program has copied all your mp3's to your USB drive (see original post for details and instructions) the software will create a new folder called Playlists. In here will be a file called All_Tracks.wpl.

When you're in your lovely Dacia with the USB in the MediaNav instead of navigating to your chosen folder instead go to the Playlists folder and choose the All_Tracks.wpl playlist. You will then see displayed on your MediaNav screen a list of all the tracks on your USB. The tracks on this playlist will shuffle (if you have shuffle feature enabled on your MediaNav), so this gets around the problem of shuffle only shuffling tracks in the folder rather than the whole contents of the USB! :D

This might also help those who have seen the issue with MediaNav not displaying all the files on their USB (not tested though).

I will be extending the software in future to allow you to automatically create Playlists for each album and for individual artists (this should allow a complete shufflable playlist of a single artist even if their tracks are on different albums). I might also look into making playlists without the copying part (so you can manually copy mp3's in whatever way you do now but this software will make all your playlists for you...new features = more time so don't hold your breath you might go as blue as my Steppy!)

Bug Fixes

Now fixes any invalid characters in file paths and names

General code tidy

Any problems post here or PM me. If you do use and and find it useful please post and say!
Hello, having diffs with media nav and usb and came across your post and program for sorting it out. downloaded, ran etc but get the message -

'unhandled exception occurred'

'MPEG audio header not found'

I'm using a windows 10 PC, any help greatly appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts