UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

Can u believe it.....? bad back improving but slowly...physio booked !!!

And last night i was watching the world cup...and my telly wigged out as it went to penalties :(

Quickly went to live stream...on my laptop....

BUT

Does anyone on here know about tellies ??????

The scart thingies are in place, as is the aerial...and all the leads are where they should be.

I can get no telly signal...the freeview box says i have 100% signal from the transmitter, and the transmitter is transmitting...!

I tried playing a DVD in my DVD player...and its on the right channel cos i get sound....but no picture....

Other than my telly is [email protected] anyone have any ideas ???

cheers :)

DM x

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks roger.....i'm one of the few that turn the telly off at the button on the front every eve...is that the same ?????

there are no lights on....and then push button....and lights come on....but no ones home ....hahahahaha :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
thanks roger.....i'm one of the few that turn the telly off at the button on the front every eve...is that the same ?????

there are no lights on....and then push button....and lights come on....but no ones home ....hahahahaha :lol: :lol:

Proberly is, but still worth a try !! :huh:

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Geraint has a point ^ as a medical type operative you should know that you can't get a proper diagnosis without knowing the full symptoms :p

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the DVD player or VHS work??
Is the digi box connected via scart or aerial?

I can have a better guess after I get these answers lol

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App
erm.....not sure but here goes !

i have freeview....the aerial is in the roof feeds into the box....and then a cable goes to the telly from that....

the transmitter in Burntisland has no faults reported...and my freeview says its got 100% signal

hahahha

as stated....YES the dvd player works.....as does the dvd....but i only get sound....no pictures...

My diagnosis as a healthcare professional is that the telly is [email protected] i was hoping for a financial reprieve

with suggestions !!!!

It was a bargain one.....36" flat screen (but with the big tube at the back) JVC with subwoofers and surrround sound....for £20 off gumtree about 3 years ago...the folk lived in a pokey 2 bed house....and were upgrading to a 50" or bigger.....basically it filled the lounge-room wall !!!!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
In that case I think you're right it's foobar but to be on the safe side change the fuse in the plug just in case. You've had excellent service from it and the good news is TVs are cheap to buy and Currys have a sale on! 40" JVC for £260.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheap !!!!!!!!
you used to be able to get a good 26" or 32" telly for 50 quid....now with digital tellies and signal...i think they are expensive....
And this one weighs an absolute tonne..how to get it to the dump is an issue !

Silvery silver is the shiniest !

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Pretty sure Currys will take the old one away if they deliver but probably not for free, the good news is that the new one will weigh about the same as a suitcase and you'll be able to fit it into the boot easily.

There is another option if you have a TV repair shop locally you could get them to come and have a look at it, the bad news there is that it too won't be free.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and it may not work. However. Unplug your TV and press the power button. Obviously it won't turn on, but it will clear all the residual charge in the capacitors. Is it a CRT TV? if so, could be that the bulb has blown (based on you still getting sound). If not, it's quite likely that the LEDs have given in (for some reason).

Hope this is at least vaguely beneficial.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi guys.....we have progress.... :)

now getting sound from different channels through the freeview box :)

so can listen to the telly :) ....

but no pictures either from telly or from said dvd player.... :(

not wishing to sound a complete "numpty" ....but knowing i'm going to fail miserably.....wot is a crt ????

its a big 36" flat screen......but with the 2ft of box sticking out the back with the subwoofers etc etc

thanks everybody

:D

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
hi guys.....we have progress.... :)

now getting sound from different channels through the freeview box :)

so can listen to the telly :) ....

but no pictures either from telly or from said dvd player.... :(

not wishing to sound a complete "numpty" ....but knowing i'm going to fail miserably.....wot is a crt ????

its a big 36" flat screen......but with the 2ft of box sticking out the back with the subwoofers etc etc

thanks everybody

:D
Cathode Ray Tube, what you would call a screen !

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube. A 'bulb' like device that fires charged electrons at your screen in a zigzag type motion several thousand times per second targeted at individual parts of your screen responsible for individual colours (pixels). I'm guessing that's what the 2 foot box is, and if you are using scart to connect, it is likely that the issue is the CRT has blown, much like a bulb will blow after so many hours of use. (PS, if I'm wrong about how the CRT works, someone please enlighten me, it's not a technology I'm very familiar with. Thank you)

If it is this, the simple solution is to get a new TV, as as far as I'm aware (how many as's in a sentence?), it is not possible to replace a CRT anymore as they have gone 'out of date'. Best thing to do is to go to your local TV place, or the internet (as it's cheaper), and buy yourself an LED or LCD screen (not plasma, very expensive to run as most energy is converted to heat). They are slim line and look great, as well as offering superior definition, especially if you opt for Full HD 1080p. Don't go for 'just' HD ready, as you will be disappointed when you make the move to HD media players etc.

Hope that's been helpful

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Cathode Ray Tube, what you would call a screen !
The last crt was made in 1994 so spare parts could be tricky. it sounds like the tube has gone if you have sound but no vision :( As you have been poorly recently why not treat yourself to a new Hd telly' get one with HD Freeview and you will be amazed at the clarity of the picture and no need for a separate box as its built in. Or invest in a youview box with catch up tv which means you can go back and watch last weeks tv whenever you like. Tv has advanced so much recently and has never been so affordable. Good luck with the physio.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
awwww i think you guys are right....and the tube has gone :(

i was hoping for a "magic" fix :rolleyes:

seeing as gumtree (other markets are available) did me so proud last time...i may do that again i think

find someones cast off for a bargain price.....i got 3 years of use out of this one for 20 quid...so can't complain :)

and so long as you insist on seeing it working before you part with cash...then no probs !!! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts